Prof shoots himself in arm in bathroom

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Prof shoots himself in arm in bathroom

Post by Flightmare »

Perhaps the reason he shot himself in the arm was to show that he thinks people should be dis"armed" on campus? :biggrinjester:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

A lot more detail at this link: https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter ... 54LFqqkiQ/

He says what he did was not a "protest", but wanted to bring attention to gun control. And Trump. And malnutrition and pollution. Ok then.
USAF 1982-2005

Jusme
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jusme »

Bird told Officer Summerlin that he had purchased the gun to shoot himself about two months earlier, and that he only bought two rounds of ammunition because he only needed to fire the gun once.

Where do you buy two rounds of .22 lr?

I hope he never has the chance to teach again. There would be $100 bills taped up on mirrors all over the country. :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Jusme wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:45 pm Bird told Officer Summerlin that he had purchased the gun to shoot himself about two months earlier, and that he only bought two rounds of ammunition because he only needed to fire the gun once.

I hope he never has the chance to teach again. There would be $100 bills taped up on mirrors all over the country. :mrgreen:
That's a really good question. I know .22 lr can be hard to find at times, but I don't think anyone has resorted to selling it by the individual round.

Mel

Post by Mel »

Hey, I'll sell you two rounds of .22lr, but they won't be cheap!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

WildRose
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildRose »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:43 am If he wanted to protest the availability of AR-15's, he should have shot himself with one, instead of with a .22 derringer....... :evil2:
Maybe his aim would improve with a rifle?
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:58 pm
Jusme wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:45 pm Bird told Officer Summerlin that he had purchased the gun to shoot himself about two months earlier, and that he only bought two rounds of ammunition because he only needed to fire the gun once.

That's a really good question. I know .22 lr can be hard to find at times, but I don't think anyone has resorted to selling it by the individual round.
Not since the great depression anyhow.

My great grandfather actually bought one round at a time for his .38 to feed his family of 9 at the time occasionally.
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

This incident is good evidence that professors should NOT be allowed to ban student carry in classrooms nor professors' offices. You never know when a professor is going to blow a gasket and start shooting.
USAF 1982-2005

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

That boy ain't right...

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

WildRose wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:54 pm

My great grandfather actually bought one round at a time for his .38 to feed his family of 9 at the time occasionally.
If we have a societal breakdown in the future, I can envision ammo being used much like we use coins and paper money today. Presumably .22lr would be a small denomination compared to larger rounds, and people might exchange a number of rounds for things like food, water, fuel, etc.

Let's hope that never comes to pass. Of course, history seems to indicate otherwise. Who knows, maybe our current civilization will be the anomaly and really will last forever?

NavAir

Post by NavAir »

I read a good novel called "One Second After" by John Matherson, in which cigarettes and rounds of ammo are used as currency in a post-apocalyptic United States. Food became a problem after the first winter, when all of the dogs and squirrels were gone. A very believable scenario.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:37 am
WildRose wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:54 pm

If we have a societal breakdown in the future, I can envision ammo being used much like we use coins and paper money today. Presumably .22lr would be a small denomination compared to larger rounds, and people might exchange a number of rounds for things like food, water, fuel, etc.

Let's hope that never comes to pass. Of course, history seems to indicate otherwise. Who knows, maybe our current civilization will be the anomaly and really will last forever?
I bought large, volumes of .22LR and all of the popular pistol and rifle "tactical calibers" as soon as it looked like Obama might win in 2008.

We ended up with six semi loads before election day and I was able to retire on it peddling a few boxes at a time at are gun shows and to local guys.

It outperformed gold and silver by 4-5x.

We sold all but what we figured would be a lifetime supply for the family before his reelection.

Sometimes you just have to read the waves and get luck.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I knew a gentleman who would but 5 rounds at a time during the deporession in order to feed himself. He said it made you a pretty careful shot.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

WTR wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:52 pm I knew a gentleman who would but 5 rounds at a time during the deporession in order to feed himself. He said it made you a pretty careful shot.
Same as my great grandfather but making only 30.00 a month as a federal marshal plus bounties feeding nine kids he was lucky to afford one at a time some months.

And we bitch about "hard times" today. The poorest people in the country today would have been middle class in that era just based on their subsidies and welfare.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”