Magazine Limits and Per Incident Shot Averages

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Magazine Limits and Per Incident Shot Averages

Post by Excaliber »

This police shootout video illustrates that the "average" number of shots per encounter is meaningless if your encounter is not average.

Consider how much more challenging a situation like this would be with a revolver or small capacity magazine.

The video also shows the altered mental state of the first officer who was hit three times, yet kept saying "I'm good!" and had to be dragged to cover.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

flechero

Re: Magazine Limits and Per Incident Shot Averages

Post by flechero »

Crazy- another violent felon (previously convicted of2nd degree murder) early released... when will they ever learn? :banghead:

That LEO was also very lucky- Looked like one bullet struck the vest right at his heart and the other shot that went into (but not completely through) his vest was about 1-2 inches from the edge by his chest/shoulder. :shock: Bet he tasted the adrenaline after that.

As a side note, the perp got 3 hits on the LEO with 2 chest hits. Don't ever delude yourself into thinking that criminals aren't handy with a gun. Or that no criminals haven't practiced up as well as you have.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Is such a thing as an "average" encounter? If there is an "average", don't you multiply the "average" by the number of bad guys to determine how much ammo to carry?
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

flechero wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:24 am . . . As a side note, the perp got 3 hits on the LEO with 2 chest hits. Don't ever delude yourself into thinking that criminals aren't handy with a gun. Or that no criminals haven't practiced up as well as you have.
:iagree: Most criminals don't practice and they can't shoot well. However, you won't care about statistics if you encounter one that does practice and can shoot!

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Excaliber wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:58 am This police shootout video illustrates that the "average" number of shots per encounter is meaningless if your encounter is not average.

Consider how much more challenging a situation like this would be with a revolver or small capacity magazine.

The video also shows the altered mental state of the first officer who was hit three times, yet kept saying "I'm good!" and had to be dragged to cover.
I'm sorry the officers had to go through this, but their experience is an excellent learning opportunity. The fog of war is not limited to military battlefields. I'm going to use this video in classes.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

One of the still photos shows the gun the BG was using. It's equipped with a laser, but there's nothing to indicate if it was working. If so, it may help to explain how he got three hits (1 good) on the officer.

Chas.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Great video! True bravery! I think it is understandable that the officer was more concerned with the armed threat, even though down, than his own injuries at that point. He wanted to make sure that the scene was secure. That said, I agree the officer should make proper use of cover.

Sad that violent murderers are being released to the street, but glad to see Baltimore is doing something about their violent crime.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:03 am One of the still photos shows the gun the BG was using. It's equipped with a laser, but there's nothing to indicate if it was working. If so, it may help to explain how he got three hits (1 good) on the officer.

Chas.
We also don't know the distance the shots were fired. If he was attempting to make an arrest, the shooting could have occurred at bad breath distance, which would not require, excellent shooting skills. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:03 am One of the still photos shows the gun the BG was using. It's equipped with a laser, but there's nothing to indicate if it was working. If so, it may help to explain how he got three hits (1 good) on the officer.

Chas.
That man is riding one heck of an adrenaline and shock high.

Thank God it didn't end any worse for him.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I think a tendency of those of us who study and practice the use firearms is to overlook the effective ability of the unskilled shooter. If the shooter can point a finger at an object with reasonable skill, a point-and-shoot handgun can be just as effective. By effective I mean putting rounds into you.

They may not be able to put two rounds, or ten, through the same hole, deal with malfunctions, or reload with any proficiency, but they can still kill you just as dead as the grand master of whatever shooting discipline you enjoy.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”