Collin College instituting school marshals?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Collin College instituting school marshals?

Post by Flightmare »

https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort ... l-program/
Collin College could be the first community college in Texas to arm its staff through the school marshal program.

During its regular board meeting Dec. 11, Collin College board of trustees voted 5-4 to make changes to its board policy to allow certain school staffers to carry a firearm and neutralize active shooters on campus.

The school marshal program was passed by the 83rd Texas Legislature in 2013 for public school districts; the 84th Legislature passed Senate Bill 386 to include community colleges in 2015. No colleges have implemented the program.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Collin College instituting school marshals?

Post by ELB »

Very interesting to hear.

I wonder why they went with the School Marshal Program? That is very restrictive compared to the Guardian Program model.

Also, the linked article contains this : "The school marshal program is implemented in 170 public school districts …"

That's not true. Last I looked, there is only one ISD that uses the marshal program, all the rest (and there are more than 200 now) use the Guardian model. Makes me wonder if either the school or the person who wrote that article are confused about those programs.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

It's very possible that the person writing the article did not understand that there is a difference between the 2 models. While I would have preferred the guardian model (less cost and less restrictive on the district), I will admit that it's better than hockey pucks or river rocks. That being said...with this being a public school, campus carry is fine with the exception of limited prohibited locations.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

ELB

Post by ELB »

Flightmare wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:41 pm It's very possible that the person writing the article did not understand that there is a difference between the 2 models. While I would have preferred the guardian model (less cost and less restrictive on the district), I will admit that it's better than hockey pucks or river rocks. That being said...with this being a public school, campus carry is fine with the exception of limited prohibited locations.
Yup. I left a comment at the site mentioning the difference. And you are right, small steps forward are better than no steps forward.

I have found an article where the author of the School Marshal legislation says he believes there are 20-50 schools that have adopted the Marshal plan, but I have my doubts. He also appears opposed to changing the legislation to make (in my view) the Marshal plan a workable solution.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/07/13 ... -teachers/
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

Interesting OpEd about Collin adopting the School Marshal program.

"Interesting" in that it isn't a knee-jerk condemnation. And in the DMN!

Hold off on that hot take — here’s why Collin College’s plan for gun-carrying staffers makes sense
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”