Gun deaths in US highest in 20 years

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Gun deaths in US highest in 20 years

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/gun-deaths-us-ri ... 04300.html

Tops 40,000.

Never good news for us.

Haven’t delved into it but increase may be due to suicide.

Read the comments.

Murders by gun same as last year 4.6 per 100,000.

Wonder if that includes shooting a BG in defense of your life.

Gun deaths in CA up 18% lol.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun deaths in US highest in 20 years

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The article in the link does give credit to increased suicide rates.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Media Hype Questionable Gun Control Study

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

priusron

Post by priusron »

It doesn’t say how many of those are police shootings. It only broke out the suicide. It would be nice to see a complete breakdown.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

in 2016 there werw 63,000 deaths by illegal drug overdose. Not a single democrat or Antigun in the office has showed a concern
In addition, the deaths are increasing 17% per year!
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

And they don't split out self defense uses either. We know that they have recently included one of those in their deaths from gun violence statistics. That woman motorcyclist who shot the man attacking her in a road rage incident. Or the numerous home owners that have shot intruders each year.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:46 am The article in the link does give credit to increased suicide rates.
I think they only mentioned it to drive the narrative that guns influence people to commit suicide.
Studies have shown that suicide attempts often take place in a moment of hopelessness that can last barely minutes – which means that easy access to a firearm can in itself exponentially increase the risk of self-harm.
The last part of that quote is an opinion not a fact. I acknowledge that firearms are a commonly used, but availability does not drive a suicide. They cite the low firearm death rate in Japan where virtually all firearms are prohibited, but conveniently fail to mention Japan's suicide rate is one the highest in the world. If I recall poison is a common method in Japan, so using the logic expressed in the article availability of poison is the reason a person takes their life.

CDC Stats:
https://wonder.cdc.gov/controller/datar ... 7C7B79383
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I have seen suicides by all means you can think of, the means is irrelavent, if somebody is going to off themselves they'll find a way! Suicides, Police shootings, self defense shootings should not be lumped into this category!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

puma guy wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:00 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:46 am The article in the link does give credit to increased suicide rates.
I think they only mentioned it to drive the narrative that guns influence people to commit suicide.
Studies have shown that suicide attempts often take place in a moment of hopelessness that can last barely minutes – which means that easy access to a firearm can in itself exponentially increase the risk of self-harm.
The last part of that quote is an opinion not a fact. I acknowledge that firearms are a commonly used, but availability does not drive a suicide. They cite the low firearm death rate in Japan where virtually all firearms are prohibited, but conveniently fail to mention Japan's suicide rate is one the highest in the world. If I recall poison is a common method in Japan, so using the logic expressed in the article availability of poison is the reason a person takes their life.

CDC Stats:
https://wonder.cdc.gov/controller/datar ... 7C7B79383
Yeah, my brain did not catch that last comment. I think you're correct in the messaging they are sending.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

This is why we need common sense gun laws:
-Background checks on all private "transfers" (close the gun show loophole).
-Magazine size limitations (10 rd max)
-Semi-automatic assault weapon ban
-Red flag laws
-Background checks on ammunition sales.
-Waiting periods.
-Raise the age for purchasing rifles to 21 and for possessing handguns to 21.
-Establish gun free zones around schools, churches, stadiums, post offices, malls, liquor stores, childcare facilities, no exemption except for on duty police responding to a call.
-Require all firearms to be registered with the federal government and stored securely and disabled when not in use.
-Require a license to purchase and possess firearms, that must be renewed annually and with education and continuing education requirements.

:evil2:

That'll fix everything. :roll:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

rotor

Post by rotor »

My guns haven't died. Anyhow, we all know that guns don't kill people, bullets do. So let's ban bullets. Just the lead part needs to be banned.

Aside from that, I have dealt with individuals that were serious about suicide and always wondered why they would go for a gun as the means to die. There are so many "painless" ways to go, why choose a method that must inflict some pain? Obviously if there were no guns some other method would have to be sought but that would alter the statistics so let's keep pushing the gun agenda. Or, go for illegal drugs, ending up being a fentanyl overdose as that is a good statistic which generates a lot of taxpayer money fighting a self induced epidemic.

I know an individual that drank a whole can of "Weed be Gone" and was hospitalized for months. Released and did it again. You have to be pretty dumb to want to die by 2-4D ingestion. But so be it, truth is stranger than fiction.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

A Hawken muzzleloader that can be purchased online by anyone over age 18 is just as sufficient for suicide as a registered M16 lower with an SBR upper, a can and a 60 round drum magazine.

The failure to control for things like access to mental health services, social isolation, et c for folks in the middle of nowhere would lead to rejection for articles on any topic but "gun violence". As it stands, groupthink has overcome good science and editorial control in medical literature on guns.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”