Incredible account of Parkland shooting

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ruark
Posts in topic: 5

Incredible account of Parkland shooting

Post by Ruark »

This came out a couple of days ago. It's a minute-by-minute account of the Parkland school shooting. It's intensely absorbing; I wanted to grab my gun and shoot the computer. The screwups here are beyond description; I can't even give a representative example. Check it out.

http://projects.sun-sentinel.com/2018/s ... Iki0sNClVQ
-Ruark

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Incredible account of Parkland shooting

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

That was quite a detailed account.

All anti's should read this and apologize for blaming the NRA!

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Amazing. I can't think of any other word I can say in public.

A catastrophic failure of epic proportions.

Chaparral
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Chaparral »

Excellent reconstruction of events. Shocking and tragic incompetence by school security and Broward Co. Sheriffs Dept.

philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by philip964 »

I attempted to post this on Facebook. I decided it was not pro or anti gun and might not offend many of my Facebook friends.

However, after two attempts both times blocked by Facebook, for some unnamed reason, I gave up. They hope to have the problem resolved shortly.

Apparently censorship of the truth is alive and well at Facebook.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

OlBill wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:19 pm Amazing. I can't think of any other word I can say in public.

A catastrophic failure of epic proportions.
I think shocking might be a better word. I think it is an excellent reconstruction, if it is as accurate as I think it is. I was shocked to see that there were more cowards on the sheriff's department than just Peterson. Several of the deputies just took protected positions instead of entering the building. I had thought it was just one, with the rest obeying the captain's order to set up a perimeter. This reconstruction makes it clear that they hid before they got that order.

The description of the captain and her response makes me think she was actually going into shock (as in the medical condition). This is not cowardice, just a person unprepared for the job.

I hope the Broward county citizens cleaned up that department in November by getting a new sheriff in office.
Steve Rothstein

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

Broward (or is that Coward) County Sheriff Scott Israel’s term runs through 2020, but the incoming governor, Rick Scott, has pledged to remove him from office. This will be interesting.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

This kid should've had all of his rights curtailed before he reached the age of majority. He shouldn't have had the chance to vote, serve on a jury, drive a car, or own a gun. He should've been declared mentally defective but wasn't.

The colossal failures snowball from there.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

That is both infuriating and heartbreaking.

bfm1851

Post by bfm1851 »

Does anyone have an update on this? Have officers in the sheriff dept been removed? Have any charges been levied? I wonder if this information has been spread to other school districts? If this gets sweep under the rug for political reasons we will have other tragedies like this happen.

Train and arm teachers, they do not have to enter the building, they are there.

Topic author
Ruark
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Ruark »

Every school board in the country should be required to read this report. Every police department, too.

It's hard to swallow some of the things that jump off the screen at you:

- one of the first armed officers to arrive runs toward the building, then stops and directs traffic

- LEOs pull in, put on their bulletproof vests, then stand there hiding behind their cars

- a team, guided by video security cameras showing Cruz in the building, slowly moving closer, not realizing that Cruz was drinking a coke in a Subway across the street. Nobody had shared that the video had a 20-minute delay.

....it's a long list. If I were the parent of one of those victims, I would be preparing the Mother and Father of All Lawsuits.
-Ruark

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Boxerrider »

I went back through the Sun Sentinel's site and read through some of the related articles. It appears that some school district personnel are finally feeling the heat as well. Their nonchalant, or event nonexistent, security policies and practices, as well as their failure to manage student behavior problems appropriately contributed to the occurrence of this event.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

The only positive response was by the Coral Springs Police. I wonder if they were delayed by the inept sheriff's department. That whole sheriff's department needs to be fired and prosecuted for dereliction of duty. Their peace officer certificates invalidated. Wonder how their oath of office reads?

Then the school employees that ignored the OBVIOUS threat and did not call a code red. The school administration and board need to be fired for not training their staff. Of course the training would probably have been done by the inept sheriff's department.
N5PNZ

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The moment someone saw a rifle bag, all Sirens should be on, at least in his head.
What a joke, we are raising generations of cowards.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Following Columbine it has become common knowledge that engaging the shooter as quickly as possible is the only way to save lives! In a mass shooting statistics say every 2 seconds somebody dies! Even in the absence of formal training those deputies should have known to get in the building and stop the shooter! I personally would like to know how Sherriff Isreal ran his department, I'm betting his deputies were discouraged from acting independently in daily routine matters for fear of punishment and this carried through into this incident and cost those people their lives!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”