Everybody’s Lying About the Link Between Gun Ownership and Homicide

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

There is no clear correlation whatsoever between gun ownership rate and gun homicide rate. Not within the USA. Not regionally. Not internationally. Not among peaceful societies. Not among violent ones. Gun ownership doesn’t make us safer. It doesn’t make us less safe. A bivariate correlation simply isn’t there. It is blatantly not-there. It is so tremendously not-there that the “not-there-ness” of it alone should be a huge news story.

And anyone with access to the internet and a basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel can check for themselves. Here’s how you do it.
Go forth and read. Warning: there is math (and statistics!) but you can see what's going on just from the text, so don't panic.

He points out shenanigans the EveryTown et al use when the bend the numbers to support their narratives.

I've never run across this guy before, so I am not recommending wholesale belief right off the bat, but it is an interesting read.
USAF 1982-2005

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Re: Everybody’s Lying About the Link Between Gun Ownership and Homicide

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Read more of his stuff, it’s really well done.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

dlh

Post by dlh »

Statistics tends to get over my head quickly especially when the pointy heads talk about regression analysis, chi square, bayes theorem and the author's R^2 thingy.
I am comforted by Mark Twain who dismissed it all with his famous saying...lies...d..... lies.... and statistics... :lol:
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

dlh wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:30 pm Statistics tends to get over my head quickly especially when the pointy heads talk about regression analysis, chi square, bayes theorem and the author's R^2 thingy.
I am comforted by Mark Twain who dismissed it all with his famous saying...lies...d..... lies.... and statistics... :lol:
R squared is just a simple number to rate how well X correlates to Y. 1 is a perfect correlation, 0 is none at all.

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

Stats are good to have, even when they go against your argument. Reality is good to know. Stats, however, do not change inalienable rights.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”