William Barr for AG / 2A Friendly?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RicoTX
Posts in topic: 4

William Barr for AG / 2A Friendly?

Post by RicoTX »

I recieved an email from GOA regarding William Barr and his previous comments regarding gun bans. Here is the quote from 1991 during those hearings:

"On the assault weapon front, the proposal before us is the DeConcini amendment. And I think ... I would support both the Brady Bill waiting period and the DeConcini [semi-auto ban] amendment, provided that they were parts of a broader and more comprehensive crime bill that included ... very tough provisions on the use of firearms in crimes and illegal purchase and trading in firearms..."

Anyone seen anything recent about his stance?
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Re: William Barr for AG / 2A Friendly?

Post by crazy2medic »

Washington D.C. = AntiGun, can't have the peasants armed!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Odinvalknir »

I think this has been answered. He made a comment during his deal today. Coming out for more red flag laws.

Topic author
RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

I have seen numerous statements from GOA and a few other gun rights organizations coming out against Barr... but nothing from NRA?

Anyone seen anything that I am missing?

Thanks.
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Topic author
RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

I had emailed Senator Cornyn about Barr.

Here is the response:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the nomination of William Barr to serve as United States Attorney General. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important matter.

Americans deserve an Attorney General who is impartial, honest, and dedicated to upholding the law. Politics should never interfere with our justice system. Mr. Barr’s previous service in the Department of Justice as Assistant Attorney General, Deputy Attorney General, and Attorney General under President George H.W. Bush provides him with exemplary qualifications to serve again as Attorney General.

I take seriously the responsibility conferred on the Senate by Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution to provide advice and consent on presidential nominations. As a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, I participated in the confirmation hearings for Mr. Barr, where he demonstrated his commitment to protect national security, investigate and prosecute criminals, and defend the rule of law.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent Texas in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN

United States Senator
TSRA Member
GOA Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

That same email could have been sent regardless what you said or asked about Barr. I understand them using form emails but it would be nice if they somewhat addressed their constituents concerns.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Remember when the FBI sniper named Horiuchi killed the woman while she stood holding her child? Her name was Weaver. Google her, the sniper and Barr. See what you find.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

Interesting information.
I still have not seen anything from the NRA on him, support or otherwise? If anyone has, can you post a link?

Thanks
TSRA Member
GOA Member

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

I have Emailed both Cruz and Cornyn several days ago and have received NO response!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Got an email from GOA:
Urge Your Senators to Oppose William Barr for Attorney General

Dear PriestTheRunner:

The Senate Judiciary Committee is expected to vote next week on the Attorney General nominee William Barr.

Unfortunately, Barr's answers to Senators' questions during a hearing earlier this month showed that he holds a very anti-gun bias.

And after the hearing, several Senators submitted written questions to him -- looking for clarification on many issues (including guns).

Sadly, Barr either doubled down in his support for gun control or refused to answer important questions -- such as whether he supports concealed carry reciprocity.

So it's now doubly clear that Barr will be no friend to gun owners should he assume the office of Attorney General.

Here are just some of Barr's answers in writing:

Barr supports Gun Confiscation Orders: "... it is critical that we get an effective system in place that keeps firearms out of the hands of mentally ill people... A key part of any such system are laws that allow 'Extreme Risk Protection Orders' [aka Gun Confiscation Orders]." (Barr answer to Sen. Cornyn Question #1.)

Barr explains why he could still support the semi-auto and magazine bans that he supported in 1991: "I would look for ... whether [the] burden [of a gun-control measure] has a sufficiently meaningful impact on crime to justify burdening a fundamental right..." (Barr answer to Sen. Kennedy Question #3.)

Barr could possibly support the elimination of the 3-day period for completing a NICS check -- thereby allowing the FBI to block a purchase forever, without knowing if the individual was a prohibited person: "I also have not studied whether changes to the three-day waiting period are advisable. If confirmed, I will review this issue along with other issues affecting public safety." (Barr answer to Sen. Feinstein Question #43.)

Barr refuses to answer whether he believes concealed carry reciprocity legislation is constitutional: "I ... am not currently in a position to opine.... The question of whether the Second Amendment, or any other provision of the Constitution, would require one state to recognize another's concealed carry permit is one I have not considered." (Barr answer to Sen. Feinstein Question #44.)

Barr punts on whether a federal ban on bump stocks (which would also affect semi-autos) would be legal: "I would be pleased to review any legislation on this issue." (Barr answer to Sen. Feinstein Question #45.)

Barr supports the Lautenberg misdemeanor gun ban, which takes guns away from people who engaged in shouting matches in the home: "I look forward to working with you and the Committee on this important issue." (Barr answer to Sen. Feinstein Question #46.)
So there you have it. Barr is not backing down. He would be a disaster for the Second Amendment.

Again, the Senate Judiciary Committee will be voting next week on his nomination.

It is likely that most Democrats will oppose him. But many Republican Senators are wary of going against Trump on this nomination.

So the only hope of swaying them is to convince them that YOU -- their constituent -- pick up the phone and let them know that you are 100% opposed to this nomination.

Please contact Sen. John Cornyn (R) and Sen. Ted Cruz (R) to urge them to oppose William Barr for Attorney General.

And then please follow it with a phone call. You can reach your senators this way:

* Sen. John Cornyn (R) at (202) 224-2934

* Sen. Ted Cruz (R) at (202) 224-5922

Thank you so much!

In Liberty,

Erich Pratt
Executive Director
Follow me on Twitter: @erichmpratt

P.S. It's getting down to "crunch time." Please take action and then forward this alert to your pro-gun friends and family. And if you've let your membership lapse, make sure to renew your membership in Gun Owners of America today for only $20!

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Swamp creatures gotta maintain the swamp. Barr is a member in good standing of the swamp. I wouldn't trust him to be dogcatcher.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:54 pm Swamp creatures gotta maintain the swamp. Barr is a member in good standing of the swamp. I wouldn't trust him to be dogcatcher.
Trump claims he is draining the Swamp, the appoints Swamp Rats.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Barr was also associated with the Ruby Ridge debacle, and he defended Lon Horiuchi, the sniper who shot Vicky Weaver dead while holding her baby.

Per the Wikipedia page:
The Boundary County, Idaho, prosecutor indicted FBI HRT sniper Lon Horiuchi for manslaughter in 1997 before the statute of limitations for this charge could expire; the Idaho v Horiuchi case was moved to federal court which has jurisdiction over federal agents. Here, it underwent a supremacy clause dismissal, an en banc reversal on appeal of the dismissal, and ultimately, the dropping of charges after a change in the local prosecutor.
OPINION: BILL BARR NEEDS TO ANSWER FOR HIS ROLE IN RUBY RIDGE
Consider these facts.

Barr was in charge of the Justice Department during Ruby Ridge, and he knew what was going on.

Barr stated, under oath, that his chief gun priority would be the Ruby Ridge-like gun confiscation orders (sugar-coated as “red flag laws”).
There’s a lot more ...... but William Barr is NOT a friend of the 2nd Amendment.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”