National Conceal-Carry. No Hope

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 1

National Conceal-Carry. No Hope

Post by dlh »

Well, now that the democrats control the House and given the 60-vote cloture rule in the Senate it appears, sadly, that national conceal carry legislation has about a zero chance of becoming law. :(
I am disappointed in President Trump. He did not have the votes to repeal Obama-Care nor does he have the votes for wall funding (at least as of this writing) but he pushed those very hard. National conceal-carry?....crickets....
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

rotor

Re: National Conceal-Carry. No Hope

Post by rotor »

dlh wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:12 pm Well, now that the democrats control the House and given the 60-vote cloture rule in the Senate it appears, sadly, that national conceal carry legislation has about a zero chance of becoming law. :(
I am disappointed in President Trump. He did not have the votes to repeal Obama-Care nor does he have the votes for wall funding (at least as of this writing) but he pushed those very hard. National conceal-carry?....crickets....
I too am disappointed but I don't blame Trump. I do blame an electorate that is unbelievably stupid.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I don’t know if it is totally hopeless. Remember, under Obama, we got national parks carry passed as part of another spending bill. It’s conceivable that national reciprocity could be attached as a rider that way.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

There are so many states I can go to now while carrying that I'm not terribly concerned with national reciprocity. There are several states with excellent scenic routes that I would like to go to with my wife on our bike. If it made that possible for me to do while armed then it might not be a horrible idea.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

dlh wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:12 pm Well, now that the democrats control the House and given the 60-vote cloture rule in the Senate it appears, sadly, that national conceal carry legislation has about a zero chance of becoming law. :(
I'm upset with the President over Corps of Engineers situation. I believe that all that is needed is an executive order from him to the Secretrary of the Army acknowledging the loss that the Corps has already had in Federal District Court and applying it to ALL Corp controlled property. While not as larger an impact as National Reciprocity, it would still be significant and another stepping stone to the ban on carry in other Federal places.

I think that a floor vote on National Reciprocity could have forced reluctant Dems like Joe Manchin to cross over. All they needed was to get past cloture. I blame the Senate Republicans for not finding a way to make that happen, not the President. That said, however, I strongly believe that States like NY, NJ and CA will NEVER, EVER allow someone with at Texas LTC to carry in their State, regardless of what laws are passed in Washington. They would see it as I do - an existential threat to their political power. It will take first breaking States like MD over their "May Issue" policies. That could lead to non-resident permits as it did in IL. Then, and only then, might National Reciprocity stand a chance. JMHO.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

bfm1851

Post by bfm1851 »

I agree that national reciprocity is a long way off. Not sure if I would blame this congress anymore then any other. But with states like New York, New Jersey and California I can not see it ever happening even with a federal law. Hell they don't pay attention to federal laws now. Texas license is good for many states and for those that it is not recognized, I just stay out of. Shame too as I still have some family in New York though as they retire they are leaving.
:txflag:

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

No Hope on national Conceal-carry is one more symptom that the process of representative government in Washington is broken. It is well documented that US policy outcomes "tend to tilt towards the wishes of corporations and business and professional associations.". And the vast majority of Billionaires supported Hillary and her gun bans.

It is only working with and through organizations like the NRA, TSRA, GOA, etc that we have any hope of influencing Washington and state legislature.

Until we drain the swamp and take back our country we need to support 2nd Amendment organizations with everything we've got and work through state and local governments to regain our rights as Americans.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Gator Guy

Post by Gator Guy »

It had no chance when the Republicans had the majority in the House the past two years either.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned."

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Well at least we got a bump stock ban even without Congress. My hope is for absolutely NO legislation at the Federal level. It's not an enumerated power of the central government to govern possession, wearing, and carry of arms in the States. We have a long history of (arguably) unconstitutional legislation from the central government....1934, 1968, 1986, 1994. The Protection of Lawful Commerce legislation in 2004? is one of the few positive things I can think of out of Washington.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

I agree with not needing any new laws. What we need is the supreme court to strike down the unconstitutional laws that are in place now.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”