Defiant U.S. sheriffs push gun sanctuaries, imitating liberals on immigration

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Defiant U.S. sheriffs push gun sanctuaries, imitating liberals on immigration

Post by The Annoyed Man »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1QL0ZC
(Reuters) - A rapidly growing number of counties in at least four states are declaring themselves Second Amendment sanctuaries, refusing to enforce gun-control laws that they consider to be infringements on the U.S. constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

Organizers of the pro-gun sanctuaries admit they took the idea from liberals who have created immigration sanctuaries across the United States where local officials defy the Trump administration’s efforts to enforce tougher immigration laws.

Now local conservatives are rebelling against majority Democratic rule in the states. Elected sheriffs and county commissioners say they might allow some people deemed to be threats under “red flag” laws to keep their firearms. In states where the legal age for gun ownership is raised to 21, authorities in some jurisdictions could refuse to confiscate guns from 18- to 20-year-olds.

——SNIP——

The chief counsel for a leading U.S. gun-control group questioned the legality of the sanctuary movement, saying state legislatures make laws and courts interpret them, not sheriffs.

“It should not be up to individual sheriffs or police officers deciding which laws they personally like,” said Jonathan Lowy of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “This attitude shows a disrespect for the way our system of government is supposed to operate.”
I would tell Jonathan Lowry that as long as immigration activist politicians show disrespect of immigration law with local and state immigration sanctuary initiatives, he can go pound sand. We’re just learning from his side.

I hope that Texas Sheriffs all follow suit preemptively. It would be nice if big city police chiefs would have the testicular fortitude to join the movement, but I don’t seriously expect that they will. They serve and oppress largely leftwing constituencies.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

OneGun

Re: Defiant U.S. sheriffs push gun sanctuaries, imitating liberals on immigration

Post by OneGun »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:21 am https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1QL0ZC
(Reuters) - A rapidly growing number of counties in at least four states are declaring themselves Second Amendment sanctuaries, refusing to enforce gun-control laws that they consider to be infringements on the U.S. constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

Organizers of the pro-gun sanctuaries admit they took the idea from liberals who have created immigration sanctuaries across the United States where local officials defy the Trump administration’s efforts to enforce tougher immigration laws.

Now local conservatives are rebelling against majority Democratic rule in the states. Elected sheriffs and county commissioners say they might allow some people deemed to be threats under “red flag” laws to keep their firearms. In states where the legal age for gun ownership is raised to 21, authorities in some jurisdictions could refuse to confiscate guns from 18- to 20-year-olds.

——SNIP——

The chief counsel for a leading U.S. gun-control group questioned the legality of the sanctuary movement, saying state legislatures make laws and courts interpret them, not sheriffs.

“It should not be up to individual sheriffs or police officers deciding which laws they personally like,” said Jonathan Lowy of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “This attitude shows a disrespect for the way our system of government is supposed to operate.”
I would tell Jonathan Lowry that as long as immigration activist politicians show disrespect of immigration law with local and state immigration sanctuary initiatives, he can go pound sand. We’re just learning from his side.

I hope that Texas Sheriffs all follow suit preemptively. It would be nice if big city police chiefs would have the testicular fortitude to join the movement, but I don’t seriously expect that they will. They serve and oppress largely leftwing constituencies.
I do not think Houston Chief Acevedo posses such qualities.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

PriestTheRunner

Re: Defiant U.S. sheriffs push gun sanctuaries, imitating liberals on immigration

Post by PriestTheRunner »

OneGun wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:24 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:21 am ...
It would be nice if big city police chiefs would have the testicular fortitude to join the movement, but I don’t seriously expect that they will. They serve and oppress largely leftwing constituencies.
I do not think Houston Chief Acevedo posses such biology.
FTFY.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”