GOA in court re bumpstock-ban - interesting

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Re: GOA in court re bumpstock-ban - interesting

Post by bblhd672 »

warnmar10 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:29 pm
anygunanywhere wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:06 pm
TreyHouston wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:44 pm Mr Cotten said (paraphrasing) after the Vegas shooting, it took the stress off guns and onto the bump stock.

Its pretty much true....
No it isn’t. Show me where the left has backed off guns.
The Las Vegas shooting focus is bump stocks, otherwise you are quite correct.
Bump stocks are the government's "look over there!" to shift focus from what actually happened in Vegas. There still has not been one shred of evidence made public that bump stocks were used.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

TreyHouston wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:44 pm Mr Cotten said (paraphrasing) after the Vegas shooting, it took the stress off guns and onto the bump stock.

Its pretty much true....
:iagree: The left has been even more emboldened in their efforts to remove all firearms from law abiding citizens.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Grumpy1993
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grumpy1993 »

Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

Grumpy1993

Post by Grumpy1993 »

warnmar10 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:05 pm
RicoTX wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:15 pmWell if I am the one vote Trump loses by, I have no issue with that. If some people think that makes me an idiot, that's okay too. I doubt I will be solely responsible for the downfall of the GOP, that ship sailed years ago, and im as guilty as anyone else for voting for the "less bad" party in the past. No more. I will vote for the person that I think is best suited for the position considering my values, regardless of party affiliation.
Not to beleaguer the issue but do I understand you correctly: Because of the bump stock ban, no matter any other factor, you are compelled on principle to prefer ANY candidate over Trump, including any likely progressive gun grabber?
1 + 1 = 7
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

crazy2medic wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:47 am
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:31 pm
canvasbck wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:21 pm So, overnight many people I know became felons by doing absolutely nothing.
And our current President has just earned the honor of ordering the forfeiture of more guns than any President in the history of our nation. I did vote for him, and I might do so again, and I'm sure Hillary would have done the same, but facts are facts.
Your not forfeiting the guns just the stock! Return the original stock to the gun and BAM! your back to legal semiauto rifle! Dispose of the stock and maybe go fishing becareful not to lose anything in a boating accident!
Ahh, but the stock is a gun, my friend. It is not only a gun, but is in fact a "machine gun". Forfeiting a bump stock is forfeiting a gun. So sayeth the ATF.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rotor wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:40 pm For someone that has not researched this if you own a bumpstock but don't own any firearms do you still own a machine gun?
My understanding from reading the proposed rule is that the ATF has defined the bump stock itself as a machine gun, regardless of whether it has ever been attached to what the actual dictionary would call a "firearm". I'm not sure that it would matter whether a person also happened to own other dangerous firearms, like shoelaces, rubber bands, or belt loops.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Not that anybody cares but I share TAM's view on bump stocks.

Medley86
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Medley86 »

I personally think that bump stocks are a gimmick but they absolutely should not be considered a machine gun. I told someone at work this morning I'd be far more afraid of someone taking aimed shots every 2 seconds than someone firing indiscriminately with a bump stock.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Its pretty much true....
Yes it did. You wern't there, I was. The Las Vegas shooting was Oct. 1, 2017 when Republicans had control of the House and Senate. The push for banning all AR platform rifles was something that had to be addressed.

You want to talk about anti-gun efforts now, but apparently you missed the 2018 elections where the Democrats took control of the House. This is when the anti-gun bills started being filed.

Chas.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:24 pm

Its pretty much true....
Yes it did. You wern't there, I was. The Las Vegas shooting was Oct. 1, 2017 when Republicans had control of the House and Senate. The push for banning all AR platform rifles was something that had to be addressed.

You want to talk about anti-gun efforts now, but apparently you missed the 2018 elections where the Democrats took control of the House. This is when the anti-gun bills started being filed.

Chas.
So after the next massacre what are we going to give up to keep the antis at bay? This incrementalism isn’t working in our favor. The temporary reprieves are not doing anything to restore our rights. The compromises keep giving ground to the antis and we lose more. You say that the bump stock ban took the emphasis off of ARs. I’m sorry but I don’t think it did. I didn’t miss where the dumbocrats took the house. I also didn’t forget that when the GOP had the senate, the house and the White House they accomplished squat. Zip. Zilch. Nada.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

The arguments for 'bump stocks' remind me of the various ads/need for magnum condoms. :woohoo

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RicoTX »

warnmar10 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:05 pm
RicoTX wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:15 pmWell if I am the one vote Trump loses by, I have no issue with that. If some people think that makes me an idiot, that's okay too. I doubt I will be solely responsible for the downfall of the GOP, that ship sailed years ago, and im as guilty as anyone else for voting for the "less bad" party in the past. No more. I will vote for the person that I think is best suited for the position considering my values, regardless of party affiliation.
Not to beleaguer the issue but do I understand you correctly: Because of the bump stock ban, no matter any other factor, you are compelled on principle to prefer ANY candidate over Trump, including any likely progressive gun grabber?
Sorry, I should have been more clear.I will not vote for any gun grabber regardless of party affiliation.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Malawler

Post by Malawler »

Two words....."boating accident." :biggrinjester:

mojo84
Posts in topic: 10

Post by mojo84 »

Dennis B wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:13 pm
Oldgringo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:28 pm The arguments for 'bump stocks' remind me of the various ads/need for magnum condoms. :woohoo
:iagree:

The same arguments are used for clips bigger than 9 rounds. There's no need for civilians to have that much firepower.
Clips? Firepower? Need? 9?

How fast does your car go? Does it exceed the maximum speed limit? Do you a car that goes that fast?

How Big is your house? I bet you don't ned a house that size?

Fortunately, our country isn't a needs based society.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

mojo84 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:25 pm Clips? Firepower? Need? 9?

How fast does your car go? Does it exceed the maximum speed limit? Do you a car that goes that fast?

How Big is your house? I bet you don't ned a house that size?

Fortunately, our country isn't a needs based society.
Please don't feed the troll.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”