Thomas Sowell on gun control

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Thomas Sowell on gun control

Post by KLB »

An oldie but goodie that I just ran across:
Concealed guns protect not only those who carry them but also those who do not. If concealed guns become widespread, then a mugger or a carjacker has no way of knowing who has one and who does not. It makes being a mugger or a carjacker a less safe occupation. Gun-control laws are in effect occupational-safety laws — OSHA for burglars, muggers, carjackers, and others.

The fatal fallacy of gun-control laws in general is the assumption that such laws actually control guns. Criminals who disobey other laws are not likely to be stopped by gun-control laws. What such laws actually do is increase the number of disarmed and defenseless victims.

What puts a stop to mass shootings? Usually the arrival on the scene of somebody else with a gun.

Mass shootings are often used as examples of a need for gun control. But what puts a stop to mass shootings? Usually the arrival on the scene of somebody else with a gun.

Mass shooters are often portrayed as “irrational” people engaged in “senseless” acts. But mass shooters are usually rational enough to attack schools, churches, and other places where there is far less likelihood of someone being on the scene who is armed.

Seldom do we hear about these “irrational” shooters engaging in “senseless” attacks on meetings of the National Rifle Association or a local gun show or a National Guard armory.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/12/ ... ers-crime/

DynamicDan

Re: Thomas Sowell on gun control

Post by DynamicDan »

Thomas Sowell has always been on top of reality.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

One of my heroes.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Economists who treat people as thinking individuals are uniformly hated by their own kind. A "How dare you suggest that our models are imperfect?" sort of thing.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Sowell is one of the greatest thinkers and true libertarian/conservatives of the last hundred years. His logic almost always is unassailable.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I like everything I ever read from him.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

longtooth wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:29 am I like everything I ever read from him.
:iagree:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”