Utilitarian Rationale v. Basic Right to self defense

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 3

Utilitarian Rationale v. Basic Right to self defense

Post by J.R.@A&M »

This is a year old, but interesting. The article highlights that both utilitarian reasoning AND basic right to life support gun ownership/carry policies.

https://arcdigital.media/gun-rights-and ... bda8f6a5fb
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Utilitarian Rationale v. Basic Right to self defense

Post by joe817 »

Interesting article J.R. Thanks for posting. :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

I read a few articles from the ArcDigital site. It looks like a group of leftists pretending to be conservative, while pushing the usual collectivist propaganda. Utilitarianism is an anti-religious philosophy that undergirds much of the destructive movements in modern history. :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

ScottDLS wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:06 pm I read a few articles from the ArcDigital site. It looks like a group of leftists pretending to be conservative, while pushing the usual collectivist propaganda. Utilitarianism is an anti-religious philosophy that undergirds much of the destructive movements in modern history. :???:
Disagree that utilitarian philosophy is necessarily anti-religious. In practice it is the simple framework of cost-benefit analysis as applied to public policy.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

J.R.@A&M wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:12 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:06 pm I read a few articles from the ArcDigital site. It looks like a group of leftists pretending to be conservative, while pushing the usual collectivist propaganda. Utilitarianism is an anti-religious philosophy that undergirds much of the destructive movements in modern history. :???:
Disagree that utilitarian philosophy is necessarily anti-religious. In practice it is the simple framework of cost-benefit analysis as applied to public policy.
Utilitarianism is a philosophy that accepts no absolute moral truths, perhaps areligious is a better description. It is majoritarian and unmoored to any concept of good or evil. Who gets to define the greatest utility...is the question the utilitarian cannot answer. And ArcDigital is definitely a leftist site. They’re pretty easy to see through.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

ScottDLS wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:21 pm
J.R.@A&M wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:12 pm
Utilitarianism is a philosophy that accepts no absolute moral truths, perhaps areligious is a better description. It is majoritarian and unmoored to any concept of good or evil. Who gets to define the greatest utility...is the question the utilitarian cannot answer. And ArcDigital is definitely a leftist site. They’re pretty easy to see through.
Scott, I agree that it is majoritarian and doesn't involve good v. evil. It focuses on efficiency, and uses dollars as a proxy for utility. Hence it is a useful criterion/methodology for deciding whether to spend public money on this or that program. If it is measured in lives, then I think it's a useful way to argue for gun rights, e.g., number of defensive gun uses > number of gun crimes.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”