Why an Armed Populace is Essential to Freedom

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Why an Armed Populace is Essential to Freedom

Post by Excaliber »

Sometimes it's difficult to find the right words when discussing the right to bear arms with those who oppose it.

This article by Bill Federer has a terrific collection of what some of the brightest lights in history and philosophy have to say about it. Their words may come in handy.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

RoyGBiv

Re: Why an Armed Populace is Essential to Freedom

Post by RoyGBiv »

Thanks for posting. Good stuff. :patriot:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Excellent read EXcaliber! Thanks for posting. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

Excellent. Thanks for posting it.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

FYI...I clicked on the "print" button in the linked article and got a pop over window saying my computer had been taken over by a virus. I had to power it down to get the message to go away, could not close the window or the browser. Upon restarting computer I cleared my computer and browser cache to get rid of anything that may have been left behind by the malicious entity.

Exercise due caution on the WND.com site.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

It is good to have the words. It is better to have the words and an understanding of the history. I've been reading That Every Man Be Armed: The Evolution of a Constitutional Right, by Stephen P. Halbrook. Halbrook covers most of the quotes in the article above and does so in great detail. This book traces the right to bear arms from ancient Greece and Rome through English and American history to modern times. About $20 on Amazon and worth the read.
https://www.amazon.com/That-Every-Man-A ... 0826352987
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

Another good book is Ain't Nobodys Business If You Do by Peter McWilliams.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”