Kamala Harris would proclaim new gun-control measures through executive orders (presidential decrees?)

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KLB
Posts in topic: 2

Kamala Harris would proclaim new gun-control measures through executive orders (presidential decrees?)

Post by KLB »

Kamala Harris is so frustrated with Congress's failure to enact gun control that, if she is elected president, she will unilaterally decree new measures:
Ms. Harris said that, if elected, she would sign an executive order mandating background checks for customers of any firearms dealer who sells more than five guns a year. The executive actions would also include more strident regulation of gun manufacturers that could result in revoked licenses or prosecution, as well as an attempt to close the loophole that allows some domestic abusers to purchase guns if their victim is an unwedded partner.
https://pjmedia.com/trending/kamalas-go ... -your-gun/

Who's betting it would stop there?

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Kamala Harris would proclaim new gun-control measures through executive orders (presidential decrees?)

Post by RoyGBiv »

Last edited by RoyGBiv on Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

jb2012

Re: Kamala Harris would proclaim new gun-control measures through executive orders (presidential decrees?)

Post by jb2012 »

This is why I’ve been so frustrated with Trump’s use of executive power. I know that he hasn’t used it as much as other presidents, but he has used them in more controversial decisions. Thus setting precedent for the next liberal president to order away the 2nd amendment. In the end it doesn’t matter, none of my guns will leave my house.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jb2012 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:36 pm This is why I’ve been so frustrated with Trump’s use of executive power. I know that he hasn’t used it as much as other presidents, but he has used them in more controversial decisions. Thus setting precedent for the next liberal president to order away the 2nd amendment. In the end it doesn’t matter, none of my guns will leave my posession.
Fixed it for you. If I WANT to leave my house with one (or all) of my guns, I’m GOING to leave my house with one (or all) of my guns.....regardless of what Kamala Harris says or does.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

The Dems keep running their pie holes about guns.

All I hear is Trump being administered his second oath of office on 1/20/2021.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

If you read articles like this:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/06/us/p ... force.html

It is clear that the biggest failure is not the existing laws but the adherence to them by the groups and organizations charged with providing the proper information. That should not come as a shock to anyone. I cannot think of a single government program that isn't rife with abuse and failure to fulfill the required responsibilities. And the fix? More laws.

If Ms. Harris and the others who want to deal with people unnecessarily dying, they would be trying to tighten up execution of what already exists. But we all understand full well that they don't give a rip about people being killed with guns. They want control over people who lawfully have guns. And they will use the dead gun victims to try to achieve that end. That is no surprise either, at least to me.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Allons

Post by Allons »

Nancy Pelosi already said, " That Trump using an executive order to fund the border wall a democrat president could do the same for gun control." So the stage has been set. I don't see Trump losing in 2020 though but in 2024 COME AND TAKE IT!
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

jb2012 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:36 pm This is why I’ve been so frustrated with Trump’s use of executive power. I know that he hasn’t used it as much as other presidents, but he has used them in more controversial decisions. Thus setting precedent for the next liberal president to order away the 2nd amendment. In the end it doesn’t matter, none of my guns will leave my house.
Don’t fool yourself! It doesn’t matter what he did, there will always be an excuse. Democrats are like an abusive spouse, they always have a reason to be mad and abusive.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Gun law enforcement where it matters IS Stop and Frisk. Let's actually do it.

howdy

Post by howdy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:13 pm
jb2012 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:36 pm This is why I’ve been so frustrated with Trump’s use of executive power. I know that he hasn’t used it as much as other presidents, but he has used them in more controversial decisions. Thus setting precedent for the next liberal president to order away the 2nd amendment. In the end it doesn’t matter, none of my guns will leave my possession.
Fixed it for you. If I WANT to leave my house with one (or all) of my guns, I’m GOING to leave my house with one (or all) of my guns.....regardless of what Kamala Harris says or does.
Fixed it for you "rlol"
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

jason812

Post by jason812 »

MaduroBU wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:36 pm Gun law enforcement where it matters IS Stop and Frisk. Let's actually do it.
Are you advocating for Stop and Frisk? I believe that is unconstitutional.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

jason812 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:24 pm
MaduroBU wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:36 pm Gun law enforcement where it matters IS Stop and Frisk. Let's actually do it.
Are you advocating for Stop and Frisk? I believe that is unconstitutional.
I tell that to TSA often.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

would also include more strident regulation
The writer of the article probably meant to say stringent, instead of strident...but, considering this is Kamala Harris we're talking about, strident really works out better....

Grumpy1993
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grumpy1993 »

Ms. Harris said that, if elected, she would sign an executive order mandating background checks for customers of any firearms dealer who sells more than five guns a year. The executive actions would also include more strident regulation of gun manufacturers that could result in revoked licenses or prosecution, as well as an attempt to close the loophole that allows some domestic abusers to purchase guns if their victim is an unwedded partner.
I know some people have a knee jerk reaction to anything proposed by Democrats but they're better ideas than banning bump stocks.

1. It seems reasonable to categorize somebody selling more than five guns a year as a gun dealer. Texas requires a car dealer license if you sell five or more cars in a year.

2. I have no problem with ATF enforcing current laws on manufacturers and revoking licenses for significant violations. I would hope this happens already but maybe it's more work than online sting operations for freeze plugs and solvent traps.

3. I'm not sure what she's talking about here. Somebody can be convicted of domestic violence if they're not married to their victim. If somebody has a DV conviction, they're already disqualified unless they're a protected class, and I have no problem with eliminating that loophole.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”