Nobody but Corey Booker

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

Post by Flightmare »

Jago668 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:52 pm
philip964 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:01 pm https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/0 ... l-license/

Wants to be President.

Executive order to make every gun owner get a federal license.

I’m reminded of the first Red Dawn movie. “ Comrade Commander go to the federal office in town, search the gun licenses and round up those citizens first “ It was something like that.
Yeah he tells the guy to go get the 4473's from the gun stores.
Sorry, sold mine to a guy awhile back. Didn't get his name. He was in kind of a hurry. Something about going fishing on his boat.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Grumpy1993

Post by Grumpy1993 »

Flightmare wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:26 pm
Jago668 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:52 pm
philip964 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:01 pm https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/0 ... l-license/

Wants to be President.

I’m reminded of the first Red Dawn movie. “ Comrade Commander go to the federal office in town, search the gun licenses and round up those citizens first “ It was something like that.
Yeah he tells the guy to go get the 4473's from the gun stores.
Sorry, sold mine to a guy awhile back. Didn't get his name. He was in kind of a hurry. Something about going fishing on his boat.
Cool story, comrade. Go line up against the wall as an example for the others.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

BSHII
Posts in topic: 5

Post by BSHII »

anygunanywhere wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:05 pm
BSHII wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:11 pm Even leaving the Second Amendment aside, when does he imagine Congress authorized such an executive order? Or does he think it is just open season after Trump's bump stock ban?
Congress doesn't issue/authorize executive orders. The president does.
Yes, but he generally needs some Congressional authorization to issue executive orders that affect the general public. I know the lines have been blurred but the legislative power still lies with Congress, not the President.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

BSHII wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:21 am
BSHII wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:11 pm Even leaving the Second Amendment aside, when does he imagine Congress authorized such an executive order? Or does he think it is just open season after Trump's bump stock ban?
Yes, but he generally needs some Congressional authorization to issue executive orders that affect the general public. I know the lines have been blurred but the legislative power still lies with Congress, not the President.
I must have missed the chapter in Government class on Executive powers. You win. I can see common core is paying big dividends.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

tarbe

Post by tarbe »

Think about this for a second.

There is an Executive Branch, and a Legislative Branch (leaving out the Judiciary here).

One is Legislative (they pass laws) and the other is an Executor.

What part of an Executive Order do you think the Legislative Branch would be involved in?
Semper Fi!

Don T

Post by Don T »

It would be more accurate to say that the legislative branch is supposed to make laws, and the executive branch is supposed to execute the laws (that is, carry out or enforce laws).

Does the executive order make a new law? If so, has the legislature granted authority to make regulations or otherwise carry out a law passed by the legislature?

That is where the tension arises with executive orders. Is the president executing laws or making them,

BSHII

Post by BSHII »

anygunanywhere wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:00 pm
I must have missed the chapter in Government class on Executive powers. You win. I can see common core is paying big dividends.
I'm a little old for common core, but I do remember learning about separation of powers, even before I went to law school. The President doesn't have the power to make law, except where that power is delegated by Congress.

BSHII

Post by BSHII »

tarbe wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:09 pm

There is an Executive Branch, and a Legislative Branch (leaving out the Judiciary here).

What part of an Executive Order do you think the Legislative Branch would be involved in?
The legislative branch would be involved in passing the laws that the executive branch is executing with its executive order. The President is not a king and does not just get to make law through executive orders. The executive branch only has what legislative power that is delegated to it by Congress. Booker's proposed executive order is not authorized by any law passed by Congress--it would in fact be contrary to law--and would be unconstitutional on that basis alone.

Look up the Steel Seizure Cases, where Truman thought he could do as he pleased through executive fiat, and had his chain duly jerked by the Supreme Court.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

BSHII wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:12 pm
I'm a little old for common core, but I do remember learning about separation of powers, even before I went to law school. The President doesn't have the power to make law, except where that power is delegated by Congress.
This thread is about Spartacus Booker's statement to use ececutive orders regarding firearms owners, not discussing one's in depth knowledge of the separation of powers.

Wants to be President.

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

BSHII wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:17 pm
tarbe wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:09 pm

The legislative branch would be involved in passing the laws that the executive branch is executing with its executive order. The President is not a king and does not just get to make law through executive orders. The executive branch only has what legislative power that is delegated to it by Congress. Booker's proposed executive order is not authorized by any law passed by Congress--it would in fact be contrary to law--and would be unconstitutional on that basis alone.

Look up the Steel Seizure Cases, where Truman thought he could do as he pleased through executive fiat, and had his chain duly jerked by the Supreme Court.
It is highly unlikely that any executive order by any communist president would be shot down as unconstitutional. Just ask Roberts. That is the reality, not what the constitution states. If communists followed the constitution they would not be called communists.

BSHII

Post by BSHII »

anygunanywhere wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:35 pm
BSHII wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:12 pm
This thread is about Spartacus Booker's statement to use ececutive orders regarding firearms owners, not discussing one's in depth knowledge of the separation of powers.

Wants to be President.

I agree. I'm not sure why you turned the discussion in that direction.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

BSHII wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:04 pm
anygunanywhere wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:35 pm

I agree. I'm not sure why you turned the discussion in that direction.
I'm not really certain you know what you are posting. You are the one who brought up Congress.
No other poster said anything about Congress or the legislative branch before you did so how is it that you post that I sent the thread in that direction?

KLB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KLB »

Last night, at the first Democratic candidate debate for the 2020 campaign, Sen. Cory Booker (D–N.J.) . . . said, "If you need a license to drive a car, you should need a license to buy and own a firearm. And not everybody in this field agrees with that, but in states like Connecticut that did that, they saw 40 percent drops in gun violence and 15 percent drops in suicides."

Booker is wrong (even if we kindly translate his looser "violence" into the study's actual focus on homicides) and so is the study that gave him that 40 percent figure. The study, as I previously explained, "purports to show that a 1995 tightening in Connecticut's gun permit laws led to a 40 percent reduction in gun homicides over the next decade," resulting in "nearly 300 fewer gun homicides."
https://reason.com/2019/06/27/no-cory-b ... 0-percent/

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Wow, I am shocked to see the low IQ he has.

How in the world, a sane person who is willing to go suicidal would be stopped by a Federal paper?
How many suicidal shooters had legal access to guns including a background check and a state license too?
How in the world gangs would comply with the new measure?
Did it ever help?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”