Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

AJSully421 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:18 am All of you older guys spouting “but it is only Facebook” are extremely and insanely naive. You are projecting your own dislike of social media onto everyone.

Anyone who remotely understands the concept of “winning hearts and minds” sees Facebook for the incredibly important cyber battlefield that it is.

Just because you are old and don’t understand it, doesn’t make it horrible.

Carry on yelling at clouds...
One more like this and others in this thread and you done. If you can't debate without the insults, then rant elsewhere.

Chas.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

Post by SewTexas »

too many in this thread are busy insulting FB and not seeing FB for the powerhouse it is. Obama won his Presidency because of his use of Social Media. There are many in Government who don't have SM accounts because of not wanting to deal with people who are anti-whatever....anti-"them". But there are many who do have FB, Twitter and such and use them Stickland is one, and he is on often and interacts with his followers. Donna Campbell simply posts and doesn't interact at all. Bonnen posts so seldom I forget his is even there.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

SewTexas wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:58 pm too many in this thread are busy insulting FB and not seeing FB for the powerhouse it is. Obama won his Presidency because of his use of Social Media. There are many in Government who don't have SM accounts because of not wanting to deal with people who are anti-whatever....anti-"them". But there are many who do have FB, Twitter and such and use them Stickland is one, and he is on often and interacts with his followers. Donna Campbell simply posts and doesn't interact at all. Bonnen posts so seldom I forget his is even there.
I agree with you 100% SewTexas! Social media is a tool, whether it is facebook, twitter, or some other site. Some on here choose not to use it, and that's fine. It's a personal choice, just like method of carry is a personal choice. I'm not going to criticize someone because of their personal choices. My state rep and state senator post on social media. Other local elected officials post on Nextdoor.com. It makes it handy to keep an eye on what they are doing and provides an additional OPTION for reaching them on issues that may be important to myself and others. Personally, I like having options. YMMV
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Flightmare wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:28 am
SewTexas wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:58 pm too many in this thread are busy insulting FB and not seeing FB for the powerhouse it is. Obama won his Presidency because of his use of Social Media. There are many in Government who don't have SM accounts because of not wanting to deal with people who are anti-whatever....anti-"them". But there are many who do have FB, Twitter and such and use them Stickland is one, and he is on often and interacts with his followers. Donna Campbell simply posts and doesn't interact at all. Bonnen posts so seldom I forget his is even there.
I agree with you 100% SewTexas! Social media is a tool, whether it is facebook, twitter, or some other site. Some on here choose not to use it, and that's fine. It's a personal choice, just like method of carry is a personal choice. I'm not going to criticize someone because of their personal choices. My state rep and state senator post on social media. Other local elected officials post on Nextdoor.com. It makes it handy to keep an eye on what they are doing and provides an additional OPTION for reaching them on issues that may be important to myself and others. Personally, I like having options. YMMV
Facebook is a cesspool of the most vile defamation spewed by keyboard Jihadists. Waste time there if you so desire:
https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/273792 ... oe-kaufman
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I recognize the power of social media and used to be very active on it, but I have cut back my engagement in it by about 95% or more. I more or less walked away from Facebook over a year ago, and my life is better for it. I rarely even tweet anything anymore, and I had barely gotten started on instagram before I turned away from social media.

MY reasons for doing so fall into three basic categories:

1. Digital Security: For a bunch of techno-weenies, the folks at Facebook seem remarkably inept at securing their platform and protecting the privacy of their patrons. Twitter is only slightly better. And, the various platform providers' pleas about concern for our privacy are remarkably self-serving, as they’ll gladly sell your data for selectively partisan political purposes. I don’t mind seeing targeted advertising...after all, they ARE a business and are allowed to try and make money off of MY page views, same as any newspaper or magazine. But, I do not want my information either shared with or sold to 3rd parties - particularly that most grasping and intrusive 3rd party of all of them combined....the deep state's illegal and unconstitutional domestic intelligence gathering apparatus.

2. The Echo Chamber: There remains very little left of intelligent conversation on social media. One ends up either engaging with people who largely agree with oneself, or engaging with people whose life's purpose seems to be unfiltered cretinism. There is no REAL exchange of ideas, and very little attempt at reasoned persuasion. In the anonymity provided by the internet, people seem to feel free to be as toxic as they want, and they feel free to say things to others that IRL would end them up either in jail or the ER, because they know they can get away with it. I’m done with that.

3. Censorship: I don’t mind if a platform provider wants to apply censoring filters - as this forum right here does - which filter out certain profanities or insults, because it can help enforce civil discussion. What I CANNOT abide by is the censorship of ideas....particularly in the realms of politics, economics, the law, and religion/philosophy. THIS is exactly the disease infecting most of our institutions of higher learning today, and it is resulting in a dangerously disintegrating corruption of social stability. It’s an incontestable fact that censorship on social media platforms ignores word filtering, and is absolutely partisan in favor of leftist politics, leftist economics, leftist legal theory, and leftist secularism.

In fact, social media might have been a less toxic influence on society if it had come of age 50 years ago, back when people understood self-restraint, had brains, and knew how to use them. Today, all social media does is to provide a platform for people to display and boast about their shallow worlds, various depravities, and self obsessions - present company excluded, of course.

Yes, social media can be a powerful too. So can be manipulating the energy of the atom. It’s what we do with it that counts; and what we’ve done with social media is to build social atomic bombs.

I choose to (mostly) avoid participating in any of it. These days, I sometimes check in to Facebook to see what family members or close friends are up to. But I have very little to say myself on any of these platforms. Mostly, nobody's listening anyway.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 7

Post by bblhd672 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:24 am I recognize the power of social media and used to be very active on it, but I have cut back my engagement in it by about 95% or more. I more or less walked away from Facebook over a year ago, and my life is better for it. I rarely even tweet anything anymore, and I had barely gotten started on instagram before I turned away from social media.

MY reasons for doing so fall into three basic categories:

1. Digital Security: For a bunch of techno-weenies, the folks at Facebook seem remarkably inept at securing their platform and protecting the privacy of their patrons. Twitter is only slightly better. And, the various platform providers' pleas about concern for our privacy are remarkably self-serving, as they’ll gladly sell your data for selectively partisan political purposes. I don’t mind seeing targeted advertising...after all, they ARE a business and are allowed to try and make money off of MY page views, same as any newspaper or magazine. But, I do not want my information either shared with or sold to 3rd parties - particularly that most grasping and intrusive 3rd party of all of them combined....the deep state's illegal and unconstitutional domestic intelligence gathering apparatus.

2. The Echo Chamber: There remains very little left of intelligent conversation on social media. One ends up either engaging with people who largely agree with oneself, or engaging with people whose life's purpose seems to be unfiltered cretinism. There is no REAL exchange of ideas, and very little attempt at reasoned persuasion. In the anonymity provided by the internet, people seem to feel free to be as toxic as they want, and they feel free to say things to others that IRL would end them up either in jail or the ER, because they know they can get away with it. I’m done with that.

3. Censorship: I don’t mind if a platform provider wants to apply censoring filters - as this forum right here does - which filter out certain profanities or insults, because it can help enforce civil discussion. What I CANNOT abide by is the censorship of ideas....particularly in the realms of politics, economics, the law, and religion/philosophy. THIS is exactly the disease infecting most of our institutions of higher learning today, and it is resulting in a dangerously disintegrating corruption of social stability. It’s an incontestable fact that censorship on social media platforms ignores word filtering, and is absolutely partisan in favor of leftist politics, leftist economics, leftist legal theory, and leftist secularism.

In fact, social media might have been a less toxic influence on society if it had come of age 50 years ago, back when people understood self-restraint, had brains, and knew how to use them. Today, all social media does is to provide a platform for people to display and boast about their shallow worlds, various depravities, and self obsessions - present company excluded, of course.

Yes, social media can be a powerful too. So can be manipulating the energy of the atom. It’s what we do with it that counts; and what we’ve done with social media is to build social atomic bombs.

I choose to (mostly) avoid participating in any of it. These days, I sometimes check in to Facebook to see what family members or close friends are up to. But I have very little to say myself on any of these platforms. Mostly, nobody's listening anyway.
:iagree:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Alf

Post by Alf »

You're correct but why should the facts matter to people reacting emotionally to their guy being sued?

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 7

Post by bblhd672 »

Alf wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:56 am
You're correct but why should the facts matter to people reacting emotionally to their guy being sued?
:headscratch Who are you talking about? No one, I repeat no one, on this thread has embraced the behavior of Bonnen since he took office as Speaker. In fact, I challenge you to find a single forum member who has said anything positive about Bonnen as Speaker.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”