Kay Jewelers store manager no longer employed after keeping on-duty deputy from picking up ring

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Kay Jewelers store manager no longer employed after keeping on-duty deputy from picking up ring

Post by WildBill »

Maxwell wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:51 pm
WildBill wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:12 pm
rotor wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:18 pm I don't know all the details from the article but it sounds like the manager may have been following Kay policy. It was an easy scapegoat to fire the manager after a social media notation. So Kay Jewelers has an anti-gun policy, the manager follows orders and gets fired. Kay Jewelers then looks good. Not to me.
:iagree: No need to fire the guy IMO. I am sure that the former manager would change his behavior if the owners reminded him of the correct policy.
I disagree. Any retail manager who refuses entry of a LEO in uniform needs to be removed from the company immediately! As someone with almost 20 years in retail senior management any and all LEOs are always welcome. This store manager was an ignorant idiot who took the "no guns" policy to the wrong extreme.
:banghead:
I have read other retail stores refusing to serve armed peace officers. I disagree with that policy, but I am not the one who made the policy and I am not the person charged with enforcing it. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Kay Jewelers store manager no longer employed after keeping on-duty deputy from picking up ring

Post by bblhd672 »

WildBill wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:03 pm
rotor wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:18 pm I don't know all the details from the article but it sounds like the manager may have been following Kay policy. It was an easy scapegoat to fire the manager after a social media notation. So Kay Jewelers has an anti-gun policy, the manager follows orders and gets fired. Kay Jewelers then looks good. Not to me.
:iagree: No need to fire the guy IMO. I am sure that the former manager would change his behavior if the owners reminded him of the correct policy.
I disagree. Any retail manager who refuses entry of a LEO in uniform needs to be removed from the company immediately! As someone with almost 20 years in retail senior management any and all LEOs are always welcome. This store manager was an ignorant idiot who took the "no guns" policy to the wrong extreme.
I have read other retail stores refusing to serve armed peace officers. I disagree with that policy, but I am not the one who made the policy and I am not the person charged with enforcing it. :tiphat:
Yeah, but let those stores be the target of thieves and they are more than happy to have armed officers in the store. Hypocrites.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Kay's and all the other places that post 30.06/7 signs and then try to prohibit peace officers from carrying will have the likelihood of an expensive education if HB 2164 is signed:
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... ill=HB2164
An establishment serving the public that violates this article is subject to a civil penalty in the amount of $1,000 for each violation. The attorney general may sue to collect a civil penalty under this section. Money collected under this subsection shall be deposited in the state treasury to the credit of the general revenue fund.

DynamicDan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DynamicDan »

The first thing a company should tell their employees is that LEO's are allowed to carry their weapons at all times. Enough of this stupid nonsense.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

DynamicDan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:18 pm The first thing a company should tell their employees is that CITIZENS are allowed to carry their weapons at all times. Enough of this stupid nonsense.
Sorry. I couldn't resist. Badges don't grant special privileges.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

anygunanywhere wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:23 pm
DynamicDan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:18 pm The first thing a company should tell their employees is that CITIZENS are allowed to carry their weapons at all times. Enough of this stupid nonsense.
In the eyes of Texas law, they do.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:38 pm
anygunanywhere wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:23 pm
In the eyes of Texas law, they do.
Some laws are unjust and wrong. Just because something is lawful doesn't make it right. I can think of many legal things that are wrong. One of them is privileges granted to some over those enjoyed by all citizens. Unjust laws make some more equal than others.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Under this logic, Jewelry stores are targets for robbery. Are LEO’s required to disarm before they come in during or after a robbery?

Friend bought a diamond engagement ring at a jewelry office building in Houston. The woman jeweler was a former Israelis soldier. I don’t remember if he saw her gun or it some how came up.

He said she was impressive.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Signet corporation who owns Kay and many other jewelry stores is suffering financially.
Many of their stores have been closed and many more will be closed this year.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kay-jewele ... re-stores/

This whole incident with the armed LEO being told that he could not enter the store is just a symptom of how their companies operate.
The only reason they seemed to care about what happened is the backlash was due to the bad publicity that they received.
I don't see them changing their policy about customers who carry concealed at their stores.
The sad part is that the store manager lost his job for following the policy that his company put in place.
NRA Endowment Member

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:42 pm
Raise school kids with a [b]0 tolerance[/b] policy towards weapons and no understanding of the law and this is exactly the result you get: Misinformed mindless zealots who will enforce "company policy" without any critical thinking.
[/quote]

Two words that should not be used together. Ever. My PERSONAL OPINION. :tiphat:

:txflag: :patriot:

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

I was... And I have always welcomed anyone in uniform!
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Never met an Israeli or orthodox Jewish diamond merchant who wasn't either packing a gun or a Krav Maga black belt.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:09 pm
Yeah, but let those stores be the target of thieves and they are more than happy to have armed officers in the store. Hypocrites.
I was the one on site and in charge. All of my managers knew that anyone in uniform was always welcome and appreciated! I preached this for almost 20 years of my life to everyone I supervised.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”