Sam’s Club WiFi blocking gun forums

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Sam’s Club WiFi blocking gun forums

Post by oohrah »

Sitting in Sam’s Club waiting for tires. Tried using their free WiFi and it says server not responding. Tried multiple gun web sites with the same results.

So I switched to my cellular data and everything is working. Sam’s is not posted at all (although I’ve never OCed here), so I’m surprised of this block. It may be unintentional since most places just use a subscription package service.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

bbhack
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sam’s Club WiFi blocking gun forums

Post by bbhack »

This kind of stuff is usually done by the contracted internet suppliers. It's not like Sam's IT staff does not have better things to do, especially for such a tiny feature as guest WiFi.

Edit: Someone might be able to find out who this contractor is.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

At one time Sam’s had in the contract you signed for their club no firearms. I haven’t read that in years so I don’t know if they have 30.06 in that contract or not. I don’t OC because I don’t want to ever be told no firearms.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LDP wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:17 pm
carlson1 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:09 pm At one time Sam’s had in the contract you signed for their club no firearms.
Interesting, didn't know that. I am an associate member on wife's account so I did not read any contracts she had signed.
If there is a silly "no guns" clause in the contract but I have not signed it or seen it, does it still count as "effective notice"? *shrug*
Costco is the same. If I don’t see a 30.06 or 30.07 sign, then I didn’t receive notice.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:47 pm
LDP wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:17 pm
carlson1 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:09 pm At one time Sam’s had in the contract you signed for their club no firearms.
Interesting, didn't know that. I am an associate member on wife's account so I did not read any contracts she had signed.
If there is a silly "no guns" clause in the contract but I have not signed it or seen it, does it still count as "effective notice"? *shrug*
Costco is the same. If I don’t see a 30.06 or 30.07 sign, then I didn’t receive notice.
:iagree: That is how is see it.

Mel

Post by Mel »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:09 pm At one time Sam’s had in the contract you signed for their club no firearms. I haven’t read that in years so I don’t know if they have 30.06 in that contract or not. I don’t OC because I don’t want to ever be told no firearms.
It's not in our contract! We've had it for many years.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Since your using a cell phone you can completely bypass that with the tor-firefox browser. Go to the play store and type in tor download it then also download the firefox browser. Plus you will be totally anonymous, now for computers download a Linux system called Tails, you can load it on a disk or a USB flash drive. Then plug it in a usb port, when you boot your computer hold f-12 and select the correct drive. It's the best way to use the Internet and bypass any type of firewall/security setup on WiFi connections. I prefer Kali Linux but that's a whole different ball game :tiphat:
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

rotor

Post by rotor »

I use a vpn on all public wifi. My choice right now is NordVpn.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

rotor wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:24 pm I use a vpn on all public wifi. My choice right now is NordVpn.
:iagree: I use the same!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:09 pm At one time Sam’s had in the contract you signed for their club no firearms. I haven’t read that in years so I don’t know if they have 30.06 in that contract or not. I don’t OC because I don’t want to ever be told no firearms.
I have OC'd in the Sam's club in fort worth everytime, me and the wife go there at least once a month, never had a problem!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I avoid public wifi like the plague.
Psalm 91:2

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Some firewall products have broad categories in what they block. Depending on the vendor, firearms categories might be in adult/mature content and they may just have the entire category blocked instead of selecting each individual item withing the category. For example, the firewall I manage at church has everything from alcohol, dating, gambling, adult content, lingerie and swimsuit, sports hunting and war, tobacco, and weapons all in the same Adult/mature category. I block the individual items that we don't want, not the broad category.

So it just may be laziness or their policy is not clearly defined on content they want to block. But they might be blocking it intentionally. Only way to find out is to get Sam's Club to respond to a request if they are intentionally blocking it.
Ron
NRA Member

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

I went Sam's Club today they just prohibit unlicensed firearms.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

rtschl wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:21 pm Some firewall products have broad categories in what they block. Depending on the vendor, firearms categories might be in adult/mature content and they may just have the entire category blocked instead of selecting each individual item withing the category. For example, the firewall I manage at church has everything from alcohol, dating, gambling, adult content, lingerie and swimsuit, sports hunting and war, tobacco, and weapons all in the same Adult/mature category. I block the individual items that we don't want, not the broad category.

So it just may be laziness or their policy is not clearly defined on content they want to block. But they might be blocking it intentionally. Only way to find out is to get Sam's Club to respond to a request if they are intentionally blocking it.
:iagree: This is my experience in dealing with firewalls that perform content filtering.

I had noticed last week while in Sam’s that the forum wouldn’t come up while attached to their public WiFi. I just turned off the WiFi and proceeded on.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”