Wisdom from Robert Heinlein

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rex B
Posts in topic: 1

Wisdom from Robert Heinlein

Post by Rex B »

As a teenager I read every book from Sci-Fi author Robert Heinlein I could find in the local and school libraries. Only later in life did I come to know Heinlein as a pro-2a guy. Herewith some of his best quotes:

There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.
Robert A. Heinlein

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Whether the authorities be invaders or merely local tyrants, the effect of such [gun control] laws is to place the individual at the mercy of the state, unable to resist.
Robert A. Heinlein

...I am opposed to all attempts to license or restrict the arming of individuals... I consider such laws a violation of civil liberty, subversive of democratic political institutions, and self-defeating in their purpose.
Robert A. Heinlein

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.
Robert A. Heinlein

An armed man need not fight.
Robert A. Heinlein
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Wisdom from Robert Heinlein

Post by chasfm11 »

Like you, I read Heinlein's books in my youth (a long time ago). I guess that I was so naive that I never picked up on his support for gun rights in them. I was reading for the pure enjoyment as I did Asimov's writings.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I've enjoyed what I've read from him, my favorite being Starship Troopers. That book has the "There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men." quote in it.
NRA Benefactor Member

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Jago668 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:04 am I've enjoyed what I've read from him, my favorite being Starship Troopers. That book has the "There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men." quote in it.
"Starship Troopers" was also the book that advocated service to obtain citizenship, only then could you vote or hold public office. Something to think about. I love Heinlein.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

We can easily forget that the political effect of the 2A is it's TRUE purpose. Hunting, sport and self defense are of course important, but an armed society cannot become Venezuela unless first disarmed.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

oohrah wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:19 am
Jago668 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:04 am I've enjoyed what I've read from him, my favorite being Starship Troopers. That book has the "There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men." quote in it.
"Starship Troopers" was also the book that advocated service to obtain citizenship, only then could you vote or hold public office. Something to think about. I love Heinlein.
I reads Starship Troopers, dropped out of college and joined the Army.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

howdy

Post by howdy »

More quotes: (there are 41 pages of them)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes ... A_Heinlein
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have no problem with that idea in principle, so long as allowances are made for legitimate reasons. Otherwise, it’s unjust. I never served in the military, but I’m now in my late 60s. So if we converted over to a literal interpretation of this system, I’d lose my rights. I’m not down with that. I’m happy to stand guard with a rifle at the state's border or something like that, but there’s no way I could attempt, let alone finish a boot camp. Nor would I want to at this stage of my life, even if I could. I’m well past the age of putting up with some kid in a Smokey the Bear hat chewing me out for walking to the mess hall. Homey don’t do 4:00 a.m. reveilles unless it’s to go fishing.

Also, you have to make room for legitimate objectors of conscience by providing an alternative means of service for those who have legitimate religious or other philosophical objections to military service.....sort of an "internal peace corps" or something like it, if you will. They’d still be serving, but in a different capacity.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:23 am
I have no problem with that idea in principle, so long as allowances are made for legitimate reasons. Otherwise, it’s unjust. I never served in the military, but I’m now in my late 60s. So if we converted over to a literal interpretation of this system, I’d lose my rights. I’m not down with that. I’m happy to stand guard with a rifle at the state's border or something like that, but there’s no way I could attempt, let alone finish a boot camp. Nor would I want to at this stage of my life, even if I could. I’m well past the age of putting up with some kid in a Smokey the Bear hat chewing me out for walking to the mess hall. Homey don’t do 4:00 a.m. reveilles unless it’s to go fishing.

Also, you have to make room for legitimate objectors of conscience by providing an alternative means of service for those who have legitimate religious or other philosophical objections to military service.....sort of an "internal peace corps" or something like it, if you will. They’d still be serving, but in a different capacity.
In the book the government couldn't stop you from enlisting unless a psychologist said you were mentally unfit. It even mentions that if you were blind and confined to a wheelchair they'd find something for you to do. In the book's example, counting hairs on a caterpillar by touch for your two years. Something to make you appreciate what it meant to serve.
NRA Benefactor Member

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

I fully grok this thread.

DEB

Post by DEB »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:23 am

Many of my Friends and I have discussed this. I agree one should serve 2 years, either after graduation from High School or after one turns 18. One can serve in many capacities, such as the Military, Law Enforcement, (In Korea one can be drafted to be in the Military or the Riot Police), EMT, Firefighter, Nurse's Aide, Nursing Home Aid, City Sanitary Worker, one of the various Chaplin's Assistants, whatever, as long as you are serving the Nation in some sort of capacity. This would also include those who have some type of conscientious objection, but each of these professions chosen, must have a disciplined boot camp as it were. Obviously and Infantry soldier would have a different boot camp than would a Nurse's Aid, but some type of discipline should be applied, so that one would have an appreciation of their Nation. Also, allow one the opportunity to refuse, just can't vote or receive the same benefits as a full citizen. As far as those who did not serve as indicated, Grandfather Clause for all those who have passed their 18th Birthday, much as they should have concerning Bump Stocks, just sayin'.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Jago668 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:47 am In the book the government couldn't stop you from enlisting unless a psychologist said you were mentally unfit. It even mentions that if you were blind and confined to a wheelchair they'd find something for you to do. In the book's example, counting hairs on a caterpillar by touch for your two years. Something to make you appreciate what it meant to serve.
Testing space suits and other dangerous types of jobs were an option as well.

I need to read that book again.
Psalm 91:2

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I just finished reading the Kurt Schlicter trilogy (so far - another coming) that started with "People's Republic". He picked up on the military service theme for the part of the country that retained the United States name after a split. It was included in all three of these novels.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Starship troopers is certainly a classic! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

I started reading Heinlein over 50 years ago. He always made sense to me.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”