Joe Straus Letter in the Dallas News

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Joe Straus Letter in the Dallas News

Post by howdy »

For some reason I got this email from Joe Straus:

"Lionel Gutierrez was just driving his family to the movies in El Paso. But he's also a police officer who was off duty at the time of the terror attack of August 3, so when a stranger approached his car and told him what had happened, Gutierrez gave him a ride to the hospital and then went back to the scene to help others.

Army Pfc. Glendon Oakley Jr. ran toward the chaos when he was shopping that morning. He grabbed as many children as he could carry to safety because, he told a local TV station, that's what the military taught him.

The terrorism in El Paso, directed at the Latino community, painfully reminded us of the selflessness of many of our fellow Americans. Unsung heroes put themselves in harm's way to help others, labored for hours to save lives and donated blood from hundreds of miles away. None of this was surprising because it is who we strive to be as Texans. It's certainly not surprising to those of us who know El Paso to be a caring community that embraces its unique place in the story of American immigration.

But the El Paso attack also reminds us that our stock political responses to these tragedies are not enough.

First, we should not reflexively blame mental illness for mass shootings. Mental illness affects millions of people across our country, and we aren't doing enough to address it. But blaming mental illness for this kind of targeted violence needlessly stigmatizes those living with it and prevents us from addressing the deliberate hatred that appears to have motivated the El Paso shooter.

In fact, public cynicism is hardened when leaders try to blame mass shootings on everything except guns — from mental health to video games. Would stricter gun laws prevent all mass shootings? No. Should gun safety laws be part of the conversation? Yes. Should we blame mental illness or an easy scapegoat? We should not. Do we need to lead on combating the rise of domestic white supremacy? Absolutely.

It's encouraging that members of both parties, including the president, have voiced a desire to revisit gun laws. There should be an open dialogue with experts, stakeholders, and members of the public, and nothing should be off the table.

But discussion is not enough. Following the shooting at Santa Fe High School in 2018, I tasked members of the Texas House with studying red flag laws, but we did not see meaningful legislative debate or action in 2019. I still believe that legislators, law enforcement, mental health providers and Second Amendment advocates can find common ground.

It's also encouraging that Gov. Greg Abbott has announced a task force to combat domestic terrorism. Hatred and bigotry are taking root and bearing fruit in our country. It's a violent worldview that holds no equal place for immigrants, people of color or LGBTQ people, nor for Muslims, Jews and people of other faiths. In his announcement, Abbott called white nationalism and neo-Nazism by their names, a crucial step and a sign of true leadership.

The seriousness of this challenge requires moral credibility from all of our political leaders. The hyper-partisan insults that have become so common in politics make it near-impossible to build unity and address the extremism in our midst."
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Joe Straus Letter in the Dallas News

Post by Oldgringo »

howdy wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:20 pm For some reason I got this email from Joe Straus:

"Lionel Gutierrez was just driving his family to the movies in El Paso. But he's also a police officer who was off duty at the time of the terror attack of August 3, so when a stranger approached his car and told him what had happened, Gutierrez gave him a ride to the hospital and then went back to the scene to help others.

Army Pfc. Glendon Oakley Jr. ran toward the chaos when he was shopping that morning. He grabbed as many children as he could carry to safety because, he told a local TV station, that's what the military taught him.

The terrorism in El Paso, directed at the Latino community, painfully reminded us of the selflessness of many of our fellow Americans. Unsung heroes put themselves in harm's way to help others, labored for hours to save lives and donated blood from hundreds of miles away. None of this was surprising because it is who we strive to be as Texans. It's certainly not surprising to those of us who know El Paso to be a caring community that embraces its unique place in the story of American immigration.

But the El Paso attack also reminds us that our stock political responses to these tragedies are not enough.

First, we should not reflexively blame mental illness for mass shootings. Mental illness affects millions of people across our country, and we aren't doing enough to address it. But blaming mental illness for this kind of targeted violence needlessly stigmatizes those living with it and prevents us from addressing the deliberate hatred that appears to have motivated the El Paso shooter.

In fact, public cynicism is hardened when leaders try to blame mass shootings on everything except guns — from mental health to video games. Would stricter gun laws prevent all mass shootings? No. Should gun safety laws be part of the conversation? Yes. Should we blame mental illness or an easy scapegoat? We should not. Do we need to lead on combating the rise of domestic white supremacy? Absolutely.

It's encouraging that members of both parties, including the president, have voiced a desire to revisit gun laws. There should be an open dialogue with experts, stakeholders, and members of the public, and nothing should be off the table.

But discussion is not enough. Following the shooting at Santa Fe High School in 2018, I tasked members of the Texas House with studying red flag laws, but we did not see meaningful legislative debate or action in 2019. I still believe that legislators, law enforcement, mental health providers and Second Amendment advocates can find common ground.

It's also encouraging that Gov. Greg Abbott has announced a task force to combat domestic terrorism. Hatred and bigotry are taking root and bearing fruit in our country. It's a violent worldview that holds no equal place for immigrants, people of color or LGBTQ people, nor for Muslims, Jews and people of other faiths. In his announcement, Abbott called white nationalism and neo-Nazism by their names, a crucial step and a sign of true leadership.

The seriousness of this challenge requires moral credibility from all of our political leaders. The hyper-partisan insults that have become so common in politics make it near-impossible to build unity and address the extremism in our midst."
...and?

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Sounds like a left wing, liberal democrat, doesn't it?
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

apostate

Post by apostate »

joe817 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:44 pm Sounds like a left wing, liberal democrat, doesn't it?
Joe Straus
Chuck Schumer
Dennis Bonnen

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Covering all of the buzzwords in a single article in the hope that somebody will give him some money and attention.
Reminds me of Irish Bob.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

I got the same tripe in my email yesterday as well. I usually hit 'delete', but this one I read - and then hit 'unsubscribe' afterward.

Don't know how I got on that idiot's list anyway...
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Vol Texan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:16 am I got the same tripe in my email yesterday as well. I usually hit 'delete', but this one I read - and then hit 'unsubscribe' afterward.

If you answered his survey on legislative priorities for his last term as Speaker, you probably wound up on his list.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:24 am
Vol Texan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:16 am I got the same tripe in my email yesterday as well. I usually hit 'delete', but this one I read - and then hit 'unsubscribe' afterward.

If you answered his survey on legislative priorities for his last term as Speaker, you probably wound up on his list.
Yeah, I might have done that one. But now I hope I'm off his list for good. Thanks!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I received the same email. I never respond to this type of tripe, but I couldn't let this one pass. It was short but to the point.

Chas.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I got one too. Must be from the Texas Republicans email list.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I also received an email, currently trying to not reply but it is tempting to send him a comment on his rambling article in the Dallas paper!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:48 am I received the same email. I never respond to this type of tripe, but I couldn't let this one pass. It was short but to the point.

Chas.
I can't be the only one that would like to read what Mr. Cotton wrote.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

jason812 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:48 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:48 am I received the same email. I never respond to this type of tripe, but I couldn't let this one pass. It was short but to the point.

Chas.
I can't be the only one that would like to read what Mr. Cotton wrote.
Put me on that list!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
howdy

Post by howdy »

My return email to Mr. Straus was just one word.....MORON
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

howdy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:38 pm My return email to Mr. Straus was just one word.....MORON
HA! I miss the old days when you could just spit a loogie into a piece of paper and mail it!

:clapping: :rules: :lol:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”