Feds Order Apple & Google to hand over users of rifle scope app

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Feds Order Apple & Google to hand over users of rifle scope app

Post by rotor »

Grayling813 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:29 pm
rotor wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:10 pm Let's look at this in a different light. The scopes involved are night vision and thermal and probably their (ATN) binoculars. These I believe all have export restrictions which I assume are meant to keep them out of ISIS and other terror organizations. Most people who have a scope are going to have the Obsidian app as well although the scopes can be used without the app. If Justice can find a bunch of overseas terrorists with the app (and presumably the scopes) a bunch of lives may be saved. I previously owned one of their scopes and I give permission (if needed) to have my name given out. All they really want or need is the overseas data. Could this be more nefarious than that, sure but I don't think they are after US citizen data with this fishing expedition.

Actually I think someone with some brains thought of a way to possibly find terrorists.

Finally don't flame me because I think it may be good law enforcement and not an invasion of my rights.
How does Apple or Google know if the apps were downloaded by citizens or not? They don’t, so everyone who has downloaded the app is now a suspected terrorist?

We’re giving up so much liberty for a little safety. Someone warned us about that a long time ago.....
Apple knows for sure who downloads an app and probably google does too. I don't think DOJ cares about citizens owning these (I have a Flir thermal scope) but it is illegal to export to certain countries. I think it is good police work if they can track to individuals overseas that want to shoot Americans at night. I personally am not upset about this as a sign of my giving up any liberty. Look, every time you buy a gun you fill out that paperwork giving away a lot more information about yourself and supposedly they don't keep a registry of gun buyers. Supposedly.

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:24 pm
narcissist wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:25 pm Sounds like good old spot lighting is looking better and better (hogs only of course). I was wondering why those scopes had fallen in price so much, guess we know why now.
Mine is now selling for $400 less than when I bought it, and even then, I paid about $250 less than it was originally listed at. https://www.atncorp.com/thermal-scope-t ... 4-1-25x-5x

When I bought mine, list price was $1999, and I paid $1729 for it. Now the list is $1799, and I’m seeing it for $1599 on OpticsPlanet.com. They’re cool, but they’re not the be all end all.
I was so close to getting one just because of what they are, there bad to the bone! Does it always show your GPS location or anything incriminating? I know that sounds like a weird question but my privacy means a lot to me no matter what some people say:" if you have nothing to hide what does it matter'. Hate that saying
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

narcissist wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:00 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:24 pm
narcissist wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:25 pm Sounds like good old spot lighting is looking better and better (hogs only of course). I was wondering why those scopes had fallen in price so much, guess we know why now.
Mine is now selling for $400 less than when I bought it, and even then, I paid about $250 less than it was originally listed at. https://www.atncorp.com/thermal-scope-t ... 4-1-25x-5x

When I bought mine, list price was $1999, and I paid $1729 for it. Now the list is $1799, and I’m seeing it for $1599 on OpticsPlanet.com. They’re cool, but they’re not the be all end all.
I was so close to getting one just because of what they are, there bad to the bone! Does it always show your GPS location or anything incriminating? I know that sounds like a weird question but my privacy means a lot to me no matter what some people say:" if you have nothing to hide what does it matter'. Hate that saying
Unless you connect your scope to your phone, I think it would be like a regular unconnected digital camera. I don’t think it has a built in GPS. It does have a date/time stamp in the picture, but I’m pretty sure that can be switched off. This is a video made with my scope in a public park in Grapevine. It was hand-held and not mounted on the rifle at the time. It was new, and I wanted to see how effective it could be. The time stamp isn’t correct, it was at about 11:00 pm. Although the video doesn’t show it as clearly, I was able to clearly see objects about 150 yards away.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

If the tyrants want to come take me or my scope, the same applies to everything else I own.

Seems to me that the list of what the tyrants are snooping into and forbidding will get longer and longer.

The issue right now is that us 2A patriots are the only ones whose ox is getting gored.

There needs to be a whole lot more citizens affected by government tyranny for anything to happen. CW2 will start eventually, and I would like to think that the powder that sets it offi s more than 2A rights. There are a whole lot more natural rights at stake.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

anygunanywhere wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:36 pm If the tyrants want to come take me or my scope, the same applies to everything else I own.

Seems to me that the list of what the tyrants are snooping into and forbidding will get longer and longer.

The issue right now is that us 2A patriots are the only ones whose ox is getting gored.

There needs to be a whole lot more citizens affected by government tyranny for anything to happen. CW2 will start eventually, and I would like to think that the powder that sets it offi s more than 2A rights. There are a whole lot more natural rights at stake.
Couldn't agree with you more, very well spoken!
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

narcissist wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:24 pm
anygunanywhere wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:36 pm If the tyrants want to come take me or my scope, the same applies to everything else I own.

Couldn't agree with you more, very well spoken!
:iagree:
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TreyHouston »

How are we going to know if the judge signed off on it or not if its sealed ?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”