Sam's Club Requiring ID Card At Door Again

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sam's Club Requiring ID Card At Door Again

Post by howdy »

I walked in to the Katy Sam's yesterday and no ID required at entrance.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have not shopped at Sams for two or three years now but had a membership there for at least 20. The reason they were checking ID at entry back when was to keep a person from shopping and then not being able to purchase due to lack of membership. It had nothing to do with firearms back then and I doubt it does now. "Some dude" working at the store has no idea why the CEO or BOD makes rules. Instead of just admitting they don't know, some folks talk out of a paper sack.

03Lightningrocks

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:10 pm
rotor wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:09 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:06 pm These people are not stupid. They know there is ZERO way to prevent an armed shooter from killing people in their stores. The goal is to APPEAR like they are doing something.
Actually there is a way, they could hire armed guards with sub machine guns at each door instead of handicapped guys in wheelchairs. Technically that might work, asking me for my ID doesn't work and the poor guy working the door sure couldn't stop anyone. Corporate stupidity as someone mentioned.
That may or may not actually prevent a mass-shooting, but it certainly would not be commercially feasible. Many customers, including me, would not walk in if they thought that level of security was warranted.

Chas.
I had the exact same thought when I read the comment about armed guards with sub machine guns. My visual was of a police state with armed militia patrolling the streets. I am certain we don't want that. At the entrance to stores or on the streets of America.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

I was in a Sams yesterday in West El Paso. I was not asked for a memberships card. They did have security at the entrance.

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

Went to Sam's in Plano yesterday, they had a woman at the door checking. They don't actually look at whether the card is current.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 5

Post by crazy2medic »

WTR wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:00 am I was in a Sams yesterday in West El Paso. I was not asked for a memberships card. They did have security at the entrance.
Armed Security? If they're not armed they're just another fish in the barrel!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

03Lightningrocks

crazy2medic wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:26 pm
WTR wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:00 am I was in a Sams yesterday in West El Paso. I was not asked for a memberships card. They did have security at the entrance.
I dunno. Even armed does not mean much. Didn't the school shooting in Florida have an armed guard on campus who hid?

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

crazy2medic wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:26 pm Armed Security? If they're not armed they're just another fish in the barrel!
Armed and unarmed security. However, I went back to the same Sam's this morning and all security was gone and a small lady was standing by a sign which stated the membership card must be shown. I did also stopped off by a Walmart on the way home and they had both armed and unarmed security.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 5

Post by crazy2medic »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:25 pm
crazy2medic wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:26 pm
I dunno. Even armed does not mean much. Didn't the school shooting in Florida have an armed guard on campus who hid?
They had an armed sheriff's deputy that shirked his duty to save his own skin!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

DynamicDan wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:04 am Went to Sam's in Plano yesterday, they had a woman at the door checking. They don't actually look at whether the card is current.
Of course not, the expiration date is not printed on the card ;-)

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

flechero wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:07 pm
DynamicDan wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:04 am Went to Sam's in Plano yesterday, they had a woman at the door checking. They don't actually look at whether the card is current.
Don't they scan the card when you check out and won't complete the sale if membership not current?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Costco does it much of the time.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Our Sam's Club card is long expired 'cause we've moved over to Costco even though the nearest Costco is 125 miles away. Costco has a card looker at the door but you ain't gonna' buy anything except lunch if you don't have a valid card. Did I mention that Costco has good hearing aids and audiologists?

Huh, say again, please.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

ScottDLS wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:46 pm
flechero wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:07 pm
Don't they scan the card when you check out and won't complete the sale if membership not current?
Yes. On every single purchase. Even at the self check out stations. And you cannot purchase at the register if your card membership has expired, until AFTER you renew your membership. And you can renew it at the register while doing that same transactions. Have done it many times.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”