NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Post Reply

Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 10811
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

#1

Post by philip964 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:25 pm

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/2019/10/2 ... ll-effort/

Apparently Nevada has a red flag law in January.

It’s those Californian’s who moved to Nevada.


cirus
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

#2

Post by cirus » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:46 pm

He opposes the law but will enforce it any way. I guess that's how some members of the Gestapo felt also as they herded Jews into the gas chambers :banghead:

User avatar

narcissist
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:09 am

Re: NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

#3

Post by narcissist » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:49 pm

Now, a group of Second Amendment-supporting residents in Humboldt County say they’re launching a campaign to recall the sheriff because he’s not standing up for their rights.
Hope they can get that sheriff out of there before the laws come into effect. Seams suspicious to me that the Sheriff would be so up-front about enforcing the Red Flag Laws? Maybe he has a few people he doesn't like in the county he has plans for? We May never know :waiting:
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

User avatar

KLB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

#4

Post by KLB » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:52 pm

I looked it up, and Humboldt County is a long way from Las Vegas or even Reno. The only incorporated town and county seat is Winnemuca, not exactly a household name.

What did he expect?


tool4daman
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:53 am
Location: Frisco

Re: NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

#5

Post by tool4daman » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Not saying I like the law- but as Sheriff, can he just pick and choose which laws he enforces? And what kind of liability would the county and he personally face if he chose not to enforce the law on someone who later kills someone.

Again- I don't like the law but in a Democracy, I think he has to enforce the law on one hand, and actively work to change the law by helping the good guys get elected on the other.
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

User avatar

thatguyoverthere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:51 pm
Location: Fannin County

Re: NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

#6

Post by thatguyoverthere » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:48 pm

KLB wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:52 pm
...county seat is Winnemuca, not exactly a household name...
Hey, if you're a Hank Snow or Johnny Cash fan, you're very familiar with the Winnemuca name!

Just sayin'

I've been everywhere, man... :biggrinjester:


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4228
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

#7

Post by srothstein » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:07 pm

tool4daman wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:41 pm
Not saying I like the law- but as Sheriff, can he just pick and choose which laws he enforces? And what kind of liability would the county and he personally face if he chose not to enforce the law on someone who later kills someone.

Again- I don't like the law but in a Democracy, I think he has to enforce the law on one hand, and actively work to change the law by helping the good guys get elected on the other.
I agree. There were lots of laws I did not like but unless I believed it was an unconstitutional law, I really had no choice but to enforce it. This one is an easy choice for me, since I do see it as unconstitutional but a lot of nanny state laws are not quite as clear.
Steve Rothstein


RicoTX
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Re: NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

#8

Post by RicoTX » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:28 pm

srothstein wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:07 pm
tool4daman wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:41 pm
Not saying I like the law- but as Sheriff, can he just pick and choose which laws he enforces? And what kind of liability would the county and he personally face if he chose not to enforce the law on someone who later kills someone.

Again- I don't like the law but in a Democracy, I think he has to enforce the law on one hand, and actively work to change the law by helping the good guys get elected on the other.
I agree. There were lots of laws I did not like but unless I believed it was an unconstitutional law, I really had no choice but to enforce it. This one is an easy choice for me, since I do see it as unconstitutional but a lot of nanny state laws are not quite as clear.
Agree with both of you. Don't like the rules, but that is not up to him.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

User avatar

Texas_Blaze
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 427
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Re: NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

#9

Post by Texas_Blaze » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:16 pm

Misdirected efforts on the recall.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2522
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

#10

Post by Flightmare » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:36 pm

tool4daman wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:41 pm
Not saying I like the law- but as Sheriff, can he just pick and choose which laws he enforces? And what kind of liability would the county and he personally face if he chose not to enforce the law on someone who later kills someone.

Again- I don't like the law but in a constitutional republic, I think he has to enforce the law on one hand, and actively work to change the law by helping the good guys get elected on the other.
Fixed it for you
Deplorable lunatic since 2016


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 10811
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

#11

Post by philip964 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:26 pm

thatguyoverthere wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:48 pm
KLB wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:52 pm
...county seat is Winnemuca, not exactly a household name...
Hey, if you're a Hank Snow or Johnny Cash fan, you're very familiar with the Winnemuca name!

Just sayin'

I've been everywhere, man... :biggrinjester:
If your driving from San Fransisco to Salt Lake City, you stop in Winnemucca, especially if it’s summer and cars don’t have air conditioning.


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1744
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

#12

Post by crazy2medic » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:53 pm

The U.S. Constitution is the Supreme Law of the land, the Sheriff can enforce the law and violate his oath of office, or he can stand with the citizens and the Constitution, but he Cannot Do Both!
At Nuremberg we found "I was just following orders" is not a defense!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker


Boxerrider
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

#13

Post by Boxerrider » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:21 am

I looked a little deeper into this, and it plays back much like you probably suspect.
Nevada's vast, rural areas send mostly republican representatives to their state legislature. The few, highly populated areas of Nevada send mostly democrats. This gives the democrats the majority. Assembly Bill 291 started as a bump stock ban and the red flag portion was added. The bill votes went almost straight party line; one assemblyman (d) voted nay, and two senators (one d and one r) did not vote.
It appears the wishes of Humboldt county citizens were represented in the legislature, so it doesn't surprise me that they are putting their sheriff on the spot.

Post Reply

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”