NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

Post by philip964 »

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/2019/10/2 ... ll-effort/

Apparently Nevada has a red flag law in January.

It’s those Californian’s who moved to Nevada.

cirus
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

Post by cirus »

He opposes the law but will enforce it any way. I guess that's how some members of the Gestapo felt also as they herded Jews into the gas chambers :banghead:

narcissist

Re: NV: Sherrif who says he will inforce new red flag laws facing recall effort.

Post by narcissist »

Now, a group of Second Amendment-supporting residents in Humboldt County say they’re launching a campaign to recall the sheriff because he’s not standing up for their rights.
Hope they can get that sheriff out of there before the laws come into effect. Seams suspicious to me that the Sheriff would be so up-front about enforcing the Red Flag Laws? Maybe he has a few people he doesn't like in the county he has plans for? We May never know :waiting:
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

KLB

Post by KLB »

I looked it up, and Humboldt County is a long way from Las Vegas or even Reno. The only incorporated town and county seat is Winnemuca, not exactly a household name.

What did he expect?

tool4daman

Post by tool4daman »

Not saying I like the law- but as Sheriff, can he just pick and choose which laws he enforces? And what kind of liability would the county and he personally face if he chose not to enforce the law on someone who later kills someone.

Again- I don't like the law but in a Democracy, I think he has to enforce the law on one hand, and actively work to change the law by helping the good guys get elected on the other.
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

KLB wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:52 pm ...county seat is Winnemuca, not exactly a household name...
Hey, if you're a Hank Snow or Johnny Cash fan, you're very familiar with the Winnemuca name!

Just sayin'

I've been everywhere, man... :biggrinjester:

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

tool4daman wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:41 pm Not saying I like the law- but as Sheriff, can he just pick and choose which laws he enforces? And what kind of liability would the county and he personally face if he chose not to enforce the law on someone who later kills someone.

Again- I don't like the law but in a Democracy, I think he has to enforce the law on one hand, and actively work to change the law by helping the good guys get elected on the other.
I agree. There were lots of laws I did not like but unless I believed it was an unconstitutional law, I really had no choice but to enforce it. This one is an easy choice for me, since I do see it as unconstitutional but a lot of nanny state laws are not quite as clear.
Steve Rothstein

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

srothstein wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:07 pm
tool4daman wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:41 pm Not saying I like the law- but as Sheriff, can he just pick and choose which laws he enforces? And what kind of liability would the county and he personally face if he chose not to enforce the law on someone who later kills someone.

I agree. There were lots of laws I did not like but unless I believed it was an unconstitutional law, I really had no choice but to enforce it. This one is an easy choice for me, since I do see it as unconstitutional but a lot of nanny state laws are not quite as clear.
Agree with both of you. Don't like the rules, but that is not up to him.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Misdirected efforts on the recall.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Again- I don't like the law but in a constitutional republic, I think he has to enforce the law on one hand, and actively work to change the law by helping the good guys get elected on the other.
Fixed it for you
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

thatguyoverthere wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:48 pm
KLB wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:52 pm ...county seat is Winnemuca, not exactly a household name...
Hey, if you're a Hank Snow or Johnny Cash fan, you're very familiar with the Winnemuca name!

Just sayin'

I've been everywhere, man... :biggrinjester:
If your driving from San Fransisco to Salt Lake City, you stop in Winnemucca, especially if it’s summer and cars don’t have air conditioning.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

The U.S. Constitution is the Supreme Law of the land, the Sheriff can enforce the law and violate his oath of office, or he can stand with the citizens and the Constitution, but he Cannot Do Both!
At Nuremberg we found "I was just following orders" is not a defense!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

I looked a little deeper into this, and it plays back much like you probably suspect.
Nevada's vast, rural areas send mostly republican representatives to their state legislature. The few, highly populated areas of Nevada send mostly democrats. This gives the democrats the majority. Assembly Bill 291 started as a bump stock ban and the red flag portion was added. The bill votes went almost straight party line; one assemblyman (d) voted nay, and two senators (one d and one r) did not vote.
It appears the wishes of Humboldt county citizens were represented in the legislature, so it doesn't surprise me that they are putting their sheriff on the spot.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”