SCOTUS Allows Sandy Hook Lawsuit to Proceed

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: SCOTUS Allows Sandy Hook Lawsuit to Proceed

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Boxerrider wrote:I'll also admit a curiosity about the source of their legal funding.
I was saying the same thing to my son just last night. Sandy Hook is a relatively wealthy community. But even collectively, I doubt that they have the financial wherewithal to tackle a manufacturing giant in what is likely to be a loooong drawn out trial with lots of motions and counter-motions. Time = money, and on their own, they most likely don’t have the financial clout to see this through to the end. At the very least, the plaintiff attorneys involved are deferring payment in exchange for a percentage of the take. Even so, I’d bet my bottom dollar that closer inspection will find the fingerprints of Bloomberg, Soros, et al. all over this thing.

Here is an article about the basis for their suit: https://www.legalreader.com/sandy-hook- ... n-lawsuit/.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

SewTexas wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:13 pm
Boxerrider wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:25 pm I curious, how much was he exposed to Remington's advertising, compared to the time he spent on violent video games?
oh for the love......violent video games have nothing to do with it

it's all about valuing life. Now, you can say it's about how much time they spend playing the games, but that's different. My kids played games, and yeh, some of them were/are pretty violent, they are well adjusted young adults.
You sound like I used to.

I think the difference is that lanza was mentally ill and immersed in violent games. Lots of science out there now on the effects of gaming on the brain, and the games are MUCH MUCH different than when your kids played them. I challenge you to put on a headset and sit through a few of the newer games. I did... and ended up taking them away from my son. They are nothing like we knew years ago. I have seen 1st hand how the games affect them and how they "come down" off of them. It's quite frightening actually and there are several current class action lawsuits going against the game makers.

I've introduce my son to many of the "old timey" games as an alternative. He laughs at the graphics but enjoys the retro aspect.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

flechero wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:02 am
Boxerrider wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:25 pm I curious, how much was he exposed to Remington's advertising, compared to the time he spent on violent video games?

it's all about valuing life. Now, you can say it's about how much time they spend playing the games, but that's different. My kids played games, and yeh, some of them were/are pretty violent, they are well adjusted young adults.

I think the difference is that lanza was mentally ill and immersed in violent games. Lots of science out there now on the effects of gaming on the brain, and the games are MUCH MUCH different than when your kids played them. I challenge you to put on a headset and sit through a few of the newer games. I did... and ended up taking them away from my son. They are nothing like we knew years ago. I have seen 1st hand how the games affect them and how they "come down" off of them. It's quite frightening actually and there are several current class action lawsuits going against the game makers.

I've introduce my son to many of the "old timey" games as an alternative. He laughs at the graphics but enjoys the retro aspect.
I've played "first-person shooter" games for over 20 years, starting with "Doom". Granted, I'm not a mentally ill teenager, but still, I am far from alone playing those types of games. Tens of millions of people, of all ages, are NOT going around shooting up schools, Wal-Marts, churches, etc, despite playing those games and having access to firearms. Maybe, just maybe, the key factor isn't video games, but instead, is the murderous individual being mentally ill, or just a flat-out rotten human being.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

flechero wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:02 am

I know all about the current video games, my daughter worked at Game Stop for several years until a couple of years ago. All you have to do is ask the employees if a game is appropriate for your child, they will tell you, so you don't have to waste your $. She would try to warn parents about games and they would still purchase them. There are games that are meant for adults and there are games that are not. Just as "Criminal Minds" isn't intended for children.

But this is taking us well away from the intention of this thread.....
guns and games aren't the problem, the problem is the heart.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Boxerrider wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:18 am

My son is 26 and I consider him well adjusted. He has almost always played video games, probably the same ones as yours. The games were entertainment, like movies or books. Most of his life was, and still is, family, school, and work.
I believe multiple factors contributed to Lanza's decision to commit his crimes. He obsessed over the Columbine shooting, and he immersed himself in violent games, including at least one where the player is a school shooter. We have seen delusional murderers who claimed the influence of music or movie/television, and so I wouldn't say video games have nothing to do with it.
We can't legislate in good parenting, and we can't legislate out psychological disorders. I am a supporter of the first amendment as well, and believe the software developers and mass media outlets have the same freedoms, and responsibilities, as the firearm manufacturers. My perspective on the lawsuit is that the plaintiffs are targeting firearms, not honestly evaluating the situation. I'll also admit a curiosity about the source of their legal funding.
Full disclosure - I have a strong dislike for all frivolous and/or misguided lawsuits. It's frequently not a case of recovering damages from the responsible party, but profiting from suing the party who is either the most vulnerable or has the deepest pockets.
The very young and mentally ill can be more easily influenced by violence that they see (in real life, video games, TV, or movies).
Young children can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality.
Your preschooler's rich imagination is a big part of his normal development, but that means it is usually hard for him to tell the difference between what's real and what's imaginary. Preschoolers cannot always understand that what they see on television is made up, especially when it looks so much like real life, so it's especially difficult for them to distinguish between television violence and real- life violence.

What we Know about Young Children, TV and Media Violence

Schizophrenics also had difficulty telling the difference between fantasy and reality and are unduly influenced by what they see.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

"...the United States Surgeon General carried out a new investigation of television violence research in 1972...the conclusions of the report to the Surgeon General were: (1) preliminary findings indicate a casual relation between viewing violence on television and aggressive behavior, (2) this relation operates on only some children “who are predisposed to be aggressive,” and (3) this relation only operates in some contexts. It was suggested that television violence was a public health problem that needed immediate attention."

The above is from this rather lengthy paper linked below, compiled during the heyday of television. I stipulate the amount and degree of violence people young and old are exposed to via the media and other sources are much greater now, although that is just my subjective observation, having originally been a fan of The Howdy Doody Show. And one only needs to compare the old-timey pinball games with the stuff that has taken it's place to recognize the sea change which has occurred in the gamming industry.

Because of it's length I have not read the report in it's entirety yet, but after a quick skim of the doc wanted to give a heads up to interested parties.

http://openvault.wgbh.org/exhibits/tele ... ce/article

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Again, I was a little kid in the 70s. I watched an endless stream of war movies, westerns, and crime dramas with my dad. Sure, they may not have been graphic as today, but they were still pretty violent. Again, tens of millions of other kids watched those same movies, and never shot up any place. Do we shut down movies and TV because a few can't handle those programs? That's would be an attack on the 1st Amendment the same way blanket banning firearms is an attack on the 2nd.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Grayling813 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:23 pm Well, good thing we have that Trump-packed SCOTUS to protect our 2A rights. :banghead:
My thoughts exactly! It appears the elitist ruling class all have the same motivations to rule over American citizens. They just have different angles for pandering our votes. Just as I have always suspected.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”