TX: Chambers County Woman killed by feral hogs

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

TX: Chambers County Woman killed by feral hogs

Post by philip964 »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 305584002/

Made national news. Near Houston.

One of the worst things I have ever seen says Sheriff.

No one needs an AR15 with a 30 round magazine, till you really need one.

Right out side her house.

RIP

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 5

Re: TX: Chambers County Woman killed by feral hogs

Post by Lynyrd »

I've been around a lot of hogs. I've trapped a few hundred of them, and hunted a killed a lot more. It does not surprise me that this happened. The hog population is growing, and they are moving closer and closer to residential areas in their search for food. I have a friend who took video of hogs destroying lawns in a subdivision in Tyler with million dollar homes. He couldn't shoot because of city ordinance.

I think events of feral hog and human interaction are going to become more frequent in the coming years.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

dlh
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dlh »

Rural folks should be packing when they go outside.
Feral hogs will run away like you know what when you open up on them.
Your odds of being attacked are certainly low but always best to be prepared.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

dlh wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:14 am Rural folks should be packing when they go outside.
Running away when shot at is true ALMOST all of the time. I have personally witnessed one 300 lb boar that charged from 50 yards away once he located the source of the gunshot, and his pain. Big boars are fearless. The only natural predator that has a chance against them is a cougar.

dlh
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dlh »

Lynyrd wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:33 am
dlh wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:14 am Rural folks should be packing when they go outside.
Running away when shot at is true ALMOST all of the time. I have personally witnessed one 300 lb boar that charged from 50 yards away once he located the source of the gunshot, and his pain. Big boars are fearless. The only natural predator that has a chance against them is a cougar.
I have shot into wild hogs about a dozen times. Never had one charge me. Never could get off a second shot as they ran into the brush too fast. Course, I was sitting in the safety of my Ford F-150 pickup. ;-)
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

dlh wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:38 am
I have shot into wild hogs about a dozen times. Never had one charge me. Never could get off a second shot as they ran into the brush too fast. Course, I was sitting in the safety of my Ford F-150 pickup. ;-)
That's the norm. I just wanted to point out that there are exceptions. They are rare, but it does happen. Big lone boars by themselves act different than a bunch of sows and their pigs. And sometimes, on rare occasions, they just get mad when you shoot them and run at you instead of away.

equin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by equin »

Lynyrd wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:45 am
dlh wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:38 am
That's the norm. I just wanted to point out that there are exceptions. They are rare, but it does happen. Big lone boars by themselves act different than a bunch of sows and their pigs. And sometimes, on rare occasions, they just get mad when you shoot them and run at you instead of away.
I agree. I’ve never been charged by one, but while at Boar Creek Ranch (a weekend hog hunting lease), the owner and another hunter were charged by a big boar while on a night stalk hunt. The boar took 13 or so shots during the attack before it finally expired. The owner came back to camp later that night bleeding and still high on adrenaline to tell us what happened.

Anyway, what a tragedy about the woman who was killed just outside her home. Sounds like these incidences may increase as hog and human populations grow.
Ed

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I had a wounded sow charge me first time I was hog hunting. Killed her with my 44 mag revolver before she got me but she dropped 4 feet in front of me. My last shot was angled down and split her spine between the shoulders.

I don't shoot pigs while I am on the ground any more. Once was enough.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

anygunanywhere wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:34 pm I had a wounded sow charge me first time I was hog hunting. Killed her with my 44 mag revolver before she got me but she dropped 4 feet in front of me. My last shot was angled down and split her spine between the shoulders.

She probably had a litter of piglets nearby. Sows will attack at the drop of a hat if they think their piglets are threatened.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Lynyrd wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:17 pm
anygunanywhere wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:34 pm I had a wounded sow charge me first time I was hog hunting. Killed her with my 44 mag revolver before she got me but she dropped 4 feet in front of me. My last shot was angled down and split her spine between the shoulders.

She probably had a litter of piglets nearby. Sows will attack at the drop of a hat if they think their piglets are threatened.
We never saw any piglets. She was in an open pasture. I stalked up on her. Several other sows turned and ran. She turned towards me and charged. My BIL and oldest son were with me.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

anygunanywhere wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:49 pm

We never saw any piglets. She was in an open pasture. I stalked up on her. Several other sows turned and ran. She turned towards me and charged. My BIL and oldest son were with me.
Did the old ticker speed up? :lol:

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

About 20 or so years ago I was deer hunting on a day lease in the hill country. The rancher dropped me off near a circle of small trees and told me he had thrown corn just in front of them several times in the preceding weeks and the night before. I sat on the ground and realized it was pitch black. No moon. After about thirty minutes I started hearing snorting around me. I don't know how many hogs had me surrounded but I could not see anything but shadows. I sat perfectly still but was definitely worried. After another thirty minutes the sun started coming up enough I could see and they had gone off somewhere else. It scared the crud out of me. Hahaha.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Lynyrd wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:53 pm
anygunanywhere wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:49 pm

Did the old ticker speed up? :lol:
Glad I brought extra skivvies.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I haven’t seen much evidence of hogs in my yard since I shot one back in July. But my neighbors see them around & they are always around my pond. I always carry when I’m outside around my property. Thinking back on it, I was lucky that they all ran away from me across the street that night. I was close enough to my truck that I probably could’ve climbed in the bed if any had come toward me.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Lynyrd wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:08 am I've been around a lot of hogs. I've trapped a few hundred of them, and hunted a killed a lot more. It does not surprise me that this happened. The hog population is growing, and they are moving closer and closer to residential areas in their search for food. I have a friend who took video of hogs destroying lawns in a subdivision in Tyler with million dollar homes. He couldn't shoot because of city ordinance.

I think events of feral hog and human interaction are going to become more frequent in the coming years.
Absolutely. This will happen again. Maybe some family will be in a state park on a picnic, and a 9 year old kid will be torn to ribbons by some boar. Eventually, it'll be like seeing signs on the beach warning people about sharks, only they'll say something like, "Danger: feral hogs." It'll be a feral hog version of "Jaws." I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now.
-Ruark

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”