VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 7495
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#16

Post by ELB » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:13 pm

“And ultimately, I'm not the governor, but the governor may have to nationalize the National Guard to enforce the law,”
"Nationalizing" the Guard would put them under the President's control, not the Governor's. Trump might have the stones to do this if the Governor gets froggy.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
“The only thing more enjoyable than seeing your opponent lose an election they rigged is seeing them lose an investigation they rigged.” Author unknown but dead on the mark.


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4319
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#17

Post by srothstein » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:39 pm

ELB wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:13 pm
“And ultimately, I'm not the governor, but the governor may have to nationalize the National Guard to enforce the law,”
"Nationalizing" the Guard would put them under the President's control, not the Governor's. Trump might have the stones to do this if the Governor gets froggy.
I am glad I am not the only one who caught that error. I was thinking the governor might activate the gaurd to collect the guns and then the president might nationalize them to stop it.

But every time I see or hear Democrats talking about the police or military actively confiscating our weapons, I am reminded of the saying about those who don't learn from history. Our nation was started because of the military trying to take weapons. I would really hate to see it end for the same reason. In truth, I don't want to see it end at all but I am getting surer and surer that we are on the brink of another revolution and I have no idea how to prevent it from happening. Well, no acceptable idea because I cannot roll over and play dead for the extremists in the government (on either side) who want to change our way of life.
Steve Rothstein


Topic author
Grayling813
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 1005
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#18

Post by Grayling813 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:34 pm

srothstein wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:39 pm
ELB wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:13 pm
“And ultimately, I'm not the governor, but the governor may have to nationalize the National Guard to enforce the law,”
"Nationalizing" the Guard would put them under the President's control, not the Governor's. Trump might have the stones to do this if the Governor gets froggy.
I am glad I am not the only one who caught that error. I was thinking the governor might activate the gaurd to collect the guns and then the president might nationalize them to stop it.

But every time I see or hear Democrats talking about the police or military actively confiscating our weapons, I am reminded of the saying about those who don't learn from history. Our nation was started because of the military trying to take weapons. I would really hate to see it end for the same reason. In truth, I don't want to see it end at all but I am getting surer and surer that we are on the brink of another revolution and I have no idea how to prevent it from happening. Well, no acceptable idea because I cannot roll over and play dead for the extremists in the government (on either side) who want to change our way of life.
Well, Virgina's National Guard better be 99% city dwellers and not residents of those counties that are voting to be 2A sanctuaries. As usual, the idiots like Democratic Virginia Rep. Donald McEachin talk, talk, talk without thinking of unintended consequences...such as the VA National Guard throwing the communists in Richmond in jail for violating the constitution and/or joining forces with the county sheriffs and their militias.
Keep asking the question, “Cui bono?” (For whose benefit?)
“Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.”
~ Henry David Thoreau


von Clausewitz
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:39 pm
Location: Denton

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#19

Post by von Clausewitz » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:50 pm

ELB wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:13 pm
“And ultimately, I'm not the governor, but the governor may have to nationalize the National Guard to enforce the law,”
"Nationalizing" the Guard would put them under the President's control, not the Governor's. Trump might have the stones to do this if the Governor gets froggy.
Just so we speak clearly, because that idiot in Virginia didn’t, calling up the National Guard is done in one of two statuses...

1 - the governor calls the Guard to state active duty...the state pays the full bill and the governor maintains full command authority.
2 - The Guard is “federalized” through a mobilization order...the governor has no command authority and the guard becomes part of the active duty Army for the duration of the mobilization.

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4730
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#20

Post by ScottDLS » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:13 pm

Beiruty wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:26 pm
Another County Sheriff declared he is ready to deputize all cleared by him gun owners as deputies, now not only they can posses firearms but NFA class 3 too.
Only the department itself could purchase post-1986 manufactured machine guns. They couldn’t be own by the individual deputies.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

Jago668
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 975
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 12:31 am

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#21

Post by Jago668 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:06 pm

ScottDLS wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:13 pm
Beiruty wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:26 pm
Another County Sheriff declared he is ready to deputize all cleared by him gun owners as deputies, now not only they can posses firearms but NFA class 3 too.
Only the department itself could purchase post-1986 manufactured machine guns. They couldn’t be own by the individual deputies.
Yeah, but the department could leave them in the deputies hands so they could more easily respond to situations. Just like many counties let the deputies keep their cruisers at home.
NRA Benefactor Member

User avatar

Paladin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3020
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: DFW

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#22

Post by Paladin » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:58 am

The Virginia National Guard commanders should keep in mind that they don't have to obey unlawful orders... and orders to violate the 2nd Amendment are most definitely unlawful.
NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, GOA Life Member, VCDL Member


casingpoint
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1447
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:53 pm

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#23

Post by casingpoint » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:26 pm

Donald Trump with the National Guard at his disposal and Attorney General and Top Cop William Barr loose and running wild?

With Obama it was The Brownshirts, who never came to pass.

With Bush it was cops and hired security forces seizing the guns of American citizens during Hurricane Katrina.

All the more reason why U.S. citizens need constitutional access to the common arms carried by law enforcement and military persons.

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 8129
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#24

Post by RoyGBiv » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:20 pm

casingpoint wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:26 pm
Donald Trump with the National Guard at his disposal and Attorney General and Top Cop William Barr loose and running wild?

With Obama it was The Brownshirts, who never came to pass.

With Bush it was cops and hired security forces seizing the guns of American citizens during Hurricane Katrina.

All the more reason why U.S. citizens need constitutional access to the common arms carried by law enforcement and military persons.
Thankfully, 3 out of 4 of those are just conspiracy theories.
Also thankfully, Texas learned lessons from Katrina and other emergencies. Last session we passed a law allowing the transport of Firearms during emergencies with a permit.

:txflag:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 7496
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#25

Post by anygunanywhere » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:48 pm

RoyGBiv wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:20 pm
casingpoint wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:26 pm
Donald Trump with the National Guard at his disposal and Attorney General and Top Cop William Barr loose and running wild?

With Obama it was The Brownshirts, who never came to pass.

With Bush it was cops and hired security forces seizing the guns of American citizens during Hurricane Katrina.

All the more reason why U.S. citizens need constitutional access to the common arms carried by law enforcement and military persons.
Thankfully, 3 out of 4 of those are just conspiracy theories.
Also thankfully, Texas learned lessons from Katrina and other emergencies. Last session we passed a law allowing the transport of Firearms during emergencies without a permit.

:txflag:
I believe I fixed it for you.
"The Second Amendment is absolute...If we refuse infringement to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms, as protected by the Second Amendment, we will never be burdened by tyranny, dictatorship, or subjugation - other than to bury those who attempt it. B.E.Wood

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 7495
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#26

Post by ELB » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:58 pm

casingpoint wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:26 pm
Donald Trump with the National Guard at his disposal and Attorney General and Top Cop William Barr loose and running wild?
...
I have no idea what that means but the “National Guard” is always at the president’s “disposal”, providing he wants to issue the activation order..and pay for the call up.

The National Guard is organized as a federal military reserve force, part of the militia of the United States (not the individual state) but is organized at the state level. The feds pay for the equipment and expendables, And for quite a bit of the training. The state governor can use the guard and equipment for certain activities, but The state hast to pay the feds back for anything lost or expended. And the president’s authority trumps (heh) the governor’s If there’s a disagreement.

Texas has a State Guard That is completely state funded and independent of the National Guard; I don’t know if Virginia has the same, but I’ll bet they would be even less inclined to interfere with second amendment sanctuaries.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
“The only thing more enjoyable than seeing your opponent lose an election they rigged is seeing them lose an investigation they rigged.” Author unknown but dead on the mark.

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 8129
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#27

Post by RoyGBiv » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:11 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:48 pm
RoyGBiv wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:20 pm
casingpoint wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:26 pm
Donald Trump with the National Guard at his disposal and Attorney General and Top Cop William Barr loose and running wild?

With Obama it was The Brownshirts, who never came to pass.

With Bush it was cops and hired security forces seizing the guns of American citizens during Hurricane Katrina.

All the more reason why U.S. citizens need constitutional access to the common arms carried by law enforcement and military persons.
Thankfully, 3 out of 4 of those are just conspiracy theories.
Also thankfully, Texas learned lessons from Katrina and other emergencies. Last session we passed a law allowing the transport of Firearms during emergencies without a permit.

:txflag:
I believe I fixed it for you.
Yes. Thanks! :tiphat:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek


philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 11427
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#28

Post by philip964 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:53 am



jason812
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#29

Post by jason812 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:02 am

If you call that a response.
“We understand and respect the passion people feel for the U.S. Constitution and 2nd Amendment rights. We will not speculate about the possible use of the Virginia National Guard,” he continued.

User avatar

DEB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

#30

Post by DEB » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:17 am

If any Military force under orders, refuses those orders, there isn't any going back. Even if the State backs off, that unit or units would be prosecuted to the fullest extent, if not destroyed. No do-overs in a Military refusing to comply to their Civilian Representative's (read superior's) orders. Individuals could wink at certain times, much as some did during Katrina, but a Unit including their Officers? Both sides better think long and hard about using the National Guard against their own parents, siblings and townsfolk. Not too very many "large" City/liberals join the National Guard. The National Guard is mostly composed of small town folks, (read conservative), Virginia especially. The National Guard is used effectively in Large City riots and crisis's, their being from those small towns, I believe being a big factor. Large cities have always been an anathema to more rural folk. If those in power want a Revolution to kick off, use the National Guard against their own people. Regular folks can go back and beg forgiveness, soldiers cannot...My take anyways. :tiphat:
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

Post Reply

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”