VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Re: VA: Tazewell County Forms Militia in Response to New Virginia Gun Laws

Post by ELB »

“And ultimately, I'm not the governor, but the governor may have to nationalize the National Guard to enforce the law,”
"Nationalizing" the Guard would put them under the President's control, not the Governor's. Trump might have the stones to do this if the Governor gets froggy.
USAF 1982-2005

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

ELB wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:13 pm
“And ultimately, I'm not the governor, but the governor may have to nationalize the National Guard to enforce the law,”
"Nationalizing" the Guard would put them under the President's control, not the Governor's. Trump might have the stones to do this if the Governor gets froggy.
I am glad I am not the only one who caught that error. I was thinking the governor might activate the gaurd to collect the guns and then the president might nationalize them to stop it.

But every time I see or hear Democrats talking about the police or military actively confiscating our weapons, I am reminded of the saying about those who don't learn from history. Our nation was started because of the military trying to take weapons. I would really hate to see it end for the same reason. In truth, I don't want to see it end at all but I am getting surer and surer that we are on the brink of another revolution and I have no idea how to prevent it from happening. Well, no acceptable idea because I cannot roll over and play dead for the extremists in the government (on either side) who want to change our way of life.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
Grayling813
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Grayling813 »

srothstein wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:39 pm
I am glad I am not the only one who caught that error. I was thinking the governor might activate the gaurd to collect the guns and then the president might nationalize them to stop it.

But every time I see or hear Democrats talking about the police or military actively confiscating our weapons, I am reminded of the saying about those who don't learn from history. Our nation was started because of the military trying to take weapons. I would really hate to see it end for the same reason. In truth, I don't want to see it end at all but I am getting surer and surer that we are on the brink of another revolution and I have no idea how to prevent it from happening. Well, no acceptable idea because I cannot roll over and play dead for the extremists in the government (on either side) who want to change our way of life.
Well, Virgina's National Guard better be 99% city dwellers and not residents of those counties that are voting to be 2A sanctuaries. As usual, the idiots like Democratic Virginia Rep. Donald McEachin talk, talk, talk without thinking of unintended consequences...such as the VA National Guard throwing the communists in Richmond in jail for violating the constitution and/or joining forces with the county sheriffs and their militias.

von Clausewitz

Post by von Clausewitz »

Just so we speak clearly, because that idiot in Virginia didn’t, calling up the National Guard is done in one of two statuses...

1 - the governor calls the Guard to state active duty...the state pays the full bill and the governor maintains full command authority.
2 - The Guard is “federalized” through a mobilization order...the governor has no command authority and the guard becomes part of the active duty Army for the duration of the mobilization.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Beiruty wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:26 pm Another County Sheriff declared he is ready to deputize all cleared by him gun owners as deputies, now not only they can posses firearms but NFA class 3 too.
Only the department itself could purchase post-1986 manufactured machine guns. They couldn’t be own by the individual deputies.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

ScottDLS wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:13 pm
Beiruty wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:26 pm Another County Sheriff declared he is ready to deputize all cleared by him gun owners as deputies, now not only they can posses firearms but NFA class 3 too.
Only the department itself could purchase post-1986 manufactured machine guns. They couldn’t be own by the individual deputies.
Yeah, but the department could leave them in the deputies hands so they could more easily respond to situations. Just like many counties let the deputies keep their cruisers at home.
NRA Benefactor Member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The Virginia National Guard commanders should keep in mind that they don't have to obey unlawful orders... and orders to violate the 2nd Amendment are most definitely unlawful.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

Donald Trump with the National Guard at his disposal and Attorney General and Top Cop William Barr loose and running wild?

With Obama it was The Brownshirts, who never came to pass.

With Bush it was cops and hired security forces seizing the guns of American citizens during Hurricane Katrina.

All the more reason why U.S. citizens need constitutional access to the common arms carried by law enforcement and military persons.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

casingpoint wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:26 pm Donald Trump with the National Guard at his disposal and Attorney General and Top Cop William Barr loose and running wild?

With Bush it was cops and hired security forces seizing the guns of American citizens during Hurricane Katrina.

All the more reason why U.S. citizens need constitutional access to the common arms carried by law enforcement and military persons.
Thankfully, 3 out of 4 of those are just conspiracy theories.
Also thankfully, Texas learned lessons from Katrina and other emergencies. Last session we passed a law allowing the transport of Firearms during emergencies with a permit.

:txflag:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

RoyGBiv wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:20 pm
casingpoint wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:26 pm Donald Trump with the National Guard at his disposal and Attorney General and Top Cop William Barr loose and running wild?

Also thankfully, Texas learned lessons from Katrina and other emergencies. Last session we passed a law allowing the transport of Firearms during emergencies without a permit.

I believe I fixed it for you.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

ELB

Post by ELB »

I have no idea what that means but the “National Guard” is always at the president’s “disposal”, providing he wants to issue the activation order..and pay for the call up.

The National Guard is organized as a federal military reserve force, part of the militia of the United States (not the individual state) but is organized at the state level. The feds pay for the equipment and expendables, And for quite a bit of the training. The state governor can use the guard and equipment for certain activities, but The state hast to pay the feds back for anything lost or expended. And the president’s authority trumps (heh) the governor’s If there’s a disagreement.

Texas has a State Guard That is completely state funded and independent of the National Guard; I don’t know if Virginia has the same, but I’ll bet they would be even less inclined to interfere with second amendment sanctuaries.
USAF 1982-2005

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

anygunanywhere wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:48 pm
RoyGBiv wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:20 pm

Also thankfully, Texas learned lessons from Katrina and other emergencies. Last session we passed a law allowing the transport of Firearms during emergencies without a permit.

I believe I fixed it for you.
Yes. Thanks! :tiphat:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

If you call that a response.
“We understand and respect the passion people feel for the U.S. Constitution and 2nd Amendment rights. We will not speculate about the possible use of the Virginia National Guard,” he continued.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

DEB

Post by DEB »

If any Military force under orders, refuses those orders, there isn't any going back. Even if the State backs off, that unit or units would be prosecuted to the fullest extent, if not destroyed. No do-overs in a Military refusing to comply to their Civilian Representative's (read superior's) orders. Individuals could wink at certain times, much as some did during Katrina, but a Unit including their Officers? Both sides better think long and hard about using the National Guard against their own parents, siblings and townsfolk. Not too very many "large" City/liberals join the National Guard. The National Guard is mostly composed of small town folks, (read conservative), Virginia especially. The National Guard is used effectively in Large City riots and crisis's, their being from those small towns, I believe being a big factor. Large cities have always been an anathema to more rural folk. If those in power want a Revolution to kick off, use the National Guard against their own people. Regular folks can go back and beg forgiveness, soldiers cannot...My take anyways. :tiphat:
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”