Folks, We Don't Have the Votes.

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Folks, We Don't Have the Votes.

Post by dlh »

Yet again the Court dodges the question of clarifying Heller.

My interpretation is that we do not have 5 Justices willing to write an opinion clarifying that legislative firearms' restrictions
will be analyzed through the lens of strict scrutiny. Sad. In fact, the opposite might be the case--there are five Justices willing
to uphold these restrictions through lesser standards but they cannot agree on what those lesser standards should be so cert. was denied. Scary stuff.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 4_2cp3.pdf
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

K-Texas
Banned

Re: Folks, We Don't Have the Votes.

Post by K-Texas »

dlh wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:47 pm Yet again the Court dodges the question of clarifying Heller.

My interpretation is that we do not have 5 Justices willing to write an opinion clarifying that legislative firearms' restrictions
will be analyzed through the lens of strict scrutiny. Sad. In fact, the opposite might be the case--there are five Justices willing
to uphold these restrictions through lesser standards but they cannot agree on what those lesser standards should be so cert. was denied. Scary stuff.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 4_2cp3.pdf
Considering Chief Justice Roberts recent decisions, I'd say your interpretation is spot on. There is the possibility that 2 new justices will be appointed by our next C-I-C, and I'm certainly praying that it will be the Swamp Fox! AKA Donald Trump. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

I’m assuming not hearing them postpones a decision when it is more in our favor.

Worst would be to lose. Then a future more favorable court could not change their decision.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

philip964 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:59 pm I’m assuming not hearing them postpones a decision when it is more in our favor.

Worst would be to lose. Then a future more favorable court could not change their decision.
A future court could reverse a previous court's decision. It’s just a rare enough occurrence as to be unlikely.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... _decisions
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jason812

Post by jason812 »

For being highly educated and known for in depth thinking, they sure have a hard time understanding "shall not be infringed."
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

jason812 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:21 pm For being highly educated and known for in depth thinking, they sure have a hard time understanding "shall not be infringed."
I’m sure when they wrote that they were all satisfied it was perfectly clear. How could you make it any clearer?

bagman45
Banned

Post by bagman45 »

With Roberts as the swing vote, we have NO advantage. We're still at the mercy of the leftist judges who continue to create new laws and destroy liberty and our God-given rights from the bench......

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

It's long been rumored that Roberts is compromised in some way. Either regarding some child adoption irregularities or some tie-in with Jeffrey Epstein. Or, it could be that George W. Bush just appointed another Souter.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I'm betting that if RBG or any of the liberal votes got replaced, Roberts would suddenly start voting with the Conservative Judges! Tbat way he could be in the Majority!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

crazy2medic wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:20 pm I'm betting that if RBG or any of the liberal votes got replaced, Roberts would suddenly start voting with the Conservative Judges! Tbat way he could be in the Majority!
:iagree:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

crazy2medic wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:20 pm I'm betting that if RBG or any of the liberal votes got replaced, Roberts would suddenly start voting with the Conservative Judges! Tbat way he could be in the Majority!
Chief Justice succumbing to peer pressure?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”