NJ: out of ammunition

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

NJ: out of ammunition

Post by philip964 »

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/08/the-cou ... emand.html

Gun stores scramble to meet unprecedented demand.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NJ: out of ammunition

Post by Tex1961 »

When 9mm hits $1.00 per round I may let a couple thousand go. Daddy wants a CZ shadow :cool:

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

There was a shortage during Obama.

Has ammunition dried up here in Texas since the pandemic?

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

philip964 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:24 pm There was a shortage during Obama.

Ammo Shortage is the pandemic!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Try buying online, prices are up and selection is down. Had to buy what was available, paid more than before but don't want to be short come the uprising.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

It's like a perfect storm.

There's covid, riots, and the potential for another gun grabbing president.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

I fear that if Biden wins in November, then the country will devolve into Mob Rule as we've seen in Portland, Minneapolis, Seattle, Chicago, and NYC. We will have to fend for ourselves since law enforcement has been neutered. The ammo shortage will be long-term as the Demoncrats will try to enforce gun control with ammo controls.

I am very fearful of our future because the STUPID has infected so many people that used to behave rationally.

Welcome to Venezuela!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

philip964 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:24 pm There was a shortage during Obama.

It’s a real problem. At our store, we buy bulk components, and have them commercially loaded for us by a licensed manufacturer. The last time (about a week ago) that we tried to place a large order with Berry's Bullets, we we’re told that they couldn’t take any more orders. They’re 47 MILLION bullets behind in their manufacturing, and they make ONE million/day, so....

Other bullet makers are likely to be in similar straights. Add to that the fact that there are no more lead smelters left in the United States. Therefore, it seems to me that, for a while longer, the available supply is going to be more or less restricted to what’s already in the supply chain pipeline, and the downstream impact on ammunition makers and sellers will be huge.

I have 1000s of rounds on hand, but I’m saving it all until/IF things loosen up. I’ll just do dry fire practice until then, and I might shoot a bit of .22. Also, m next gun purchase, coming soon, will be an air rifle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:06 am
I have 1000s of rounds on hand, but I’m saving it all until/IF things loosen up. I’ll just do dry fire practice until then, and I might shoot a bit of .22. Also, m next gun purchase, coming soon, will be an air rifle.
I was just looking at a 1000 rounds of 9mm range ammo for $300.00 to add to my stocks. Think I’m going to buy a Sig airsoft pistol that matches my carry gun instead.

BTW, all that ammo was gone half an hour after I walked away.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

C-dub wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:58 am It's like a perfect storm.

Since I don’t buy ammunition, I had no idea.

Wow.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:06 am Add to that the fact that there are no more lead smelters left in the United States.
The conspiracy theory is that the EPA and other regulations that shut these down were to make it harder to manufacture ammo.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

philip964 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:29 am
C-dub wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:58 am It's like a perfect storm.

Since I don’t buy ammunition, I had no idea.

Wow.
Me neither. It's not that I don't buy any. I just haven't been shooting much and haven't needed to buy any or even look. I might get some 12ga for a 5-stand match in a couple weeks, but I might not even need to do that. I haven't checked yet to see if I have enough around the house. I don't keep nearly as much shotgun ammo around as other stuff.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

An interesting thing I've noticed. Bulk former Soviet Bloc ammunition is still available. I saw 1000 rd 7.62x39 for $325 at ammoman. That with 9mm bulk selling for around $0.50 and 5.56 for like $0.65 if you can find it. So if I had an import license (like Ammoman) I would order a couple container ships worth... :smilelol5:

Some of the former communist countries in eastern Europe (Czechia, Hungary, Romania, Serbia,..) have retooled factories to make NATO calibers. I've bought some Tula brand, I think like Wolf it's Russian. But Czechia seems to export a lot too.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

It's not just PB ammo, airgun pellets have also gotten very scarce; e.g., none of the five Walmarts within 40 miles of me have any of the low priced, common everyday Crossman Premium HP pellets in stock.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jason812 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:41 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:06 am Add to that the fact that there are no more lead smelters left in the United States.
The conspiracy theory is that the EPA and other regulations that shut these down were to make it harder to manufacture ammo.
"Theory" is being generous. At the time that the last smelter was being decommissioned, this was exactly the argument used by the plant's defenders.....that we would lose the ability to produce ammunition for the national defense. The econazis laughed with glee. After all, they were also pushing for the military to develop a lead-free alternative to lead core bullets.....one that would not be generally available to the civilian market for a very long time. Has anyone been able to get their hands on any M855A1 ammo? No? I didn’t think so.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... cartridge/
Various Army institutions initially emphasized the bullet’s environmental impact with no stated goal of improving the 5.56 mm’s performance. This program aspired solely, “to annually eliminate 2000 metric tons of hazardous material,” and that, alone. Army reports abound with terms such as “environmentally friendly,” and, “the Army’s commitment to environmental stewardship.” The M855A1’s development was even called a “moral obligation” in the Army’s 2010 Life Cycle Environmental Assessment.
And....has anyone priced copper these days?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”