debate = BUY SUPPLIES!

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 4

debate = BUY SUPPLIES!

Post by flechero »

What a poop show that was... I'm placing an order for additional reloading supplies momentarily. This is the first time I have really been worried. Trump normally does ugly pretty well but that was a career low for him and for those he represents.

All he had to do was allow joe a little rope to hang himself with... or forget where he was. :bigmouth

Praying for the best while preparing for the worst. :tiphat:

parabelum

Re: debate = BUY SUPPLIES!

Post by parabelum »

I agree. He should have not interrupted as much as ol Joe was about to fumble. On the other side, I don’t think either “Won” the undecided voter. Like you said, “poop show”...

strogg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by strogg »

Yeah, that was pretty awful by everyone. Trump was literally handed several silver platters, but he just knocked them away. He could have literally mic dropped some debating points with some short, simple sentences, but no. He just went on with something else like an ADHD kid. I was not surprised by his constant interrupting and composure, as that's just who he is. But in this particular debate, it ruined his performance more than helped. Biden on the other hand, was equally as bad, but in a much less noticeable way. The amount of lying he spewed was scary. And the question dodging was a bit more prevalent with him. Unfortunately, I would say that a swing moderate would probably swing the Biden way tonight simply because he refused to blatantly tow the Democratic party line with this debate. He seemed more moderate on the surface and not as much of a pushover as he appeared to be the past few months. Despite that, some very simple statements could've easily ruined his chances.

1. Fine people on both sides refer to the statue issue, not the extremist issue. Trump condemned white supremacists totally in that same speech out of his own volition.
2. What is the difference between the Green New Deal and Biden's deal. They sound the same to me. And where's the money going to come from? It is economic suicide.
3. The woke race thing teach people that each person is defined by their skin color, not their inner self. In reality, skin color is relevant only to racists. People should not be held responsible for others' actions purely based on skin color. That is absurd.
4. The problem with healthcare costs is not on the payor side. That is practically solved by the 80/20 payment law and price transparency (thank you Trump for the latter). Trump is right in targeting pharma and preexisting condition guarantee. Right now, costs are high due to health care providers' internal costs and general pharmaceutical pricing. In other words, messing with the payor system (single payor/UHC) is the wrong direction to take. It will only hurt the middle and lower class more. They're either paying way more than before or they're getting substandard care thanks to Obamacare.

At this point, I'm honestly not that concerned about tonight. The levels of concern over the presidential election did not go up or down since before the debate. I'm not saying the presidential election doesn't matter, as it still does in so many way. But I believe the congressional, senatorial, and local state/county/city elections are far more important.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I kept thinking, "Shut up Trump and let him bury himself." Honestly I almost felt like President Trump kind of lost his cool. He had several opportunities to slam Biden to the ground but blew it by changing the topic without addressing it.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

strogg wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:09 pm

At this point, I'm honestly not that concerned about tonight. The levels of concern over the presidential election did not go up or down since before the debate. I'm not saying the presidential election doesn't matter, as it still does in so many way. But I believe the congressional, senatorial, and local state/county/city elections are far more important.
My thoughts as well. :iagree:

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:16 pm
strogg wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:09 pm

My thoughts as well. :iagree:
Y'all beat me to it! 100% agree!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Debates are never debates, the moderator asks a question and the first couple lines start to answer the question and then they are off and running on whatever is important to them. I could only take about 30 minutes, Joe calling the President a clown and a liar shows no respect for the office. I agree Trump should have let Joe bury himself, when Joe starts spouting numbers it's a joke. How can a President be blamed for covid-19 deaths? I thought the debates would be more entertaining.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

:banghead:

It was like watching one of those housewife’s of Beverly Hills episodes. Biden didn’t win, but Trump lost. He beat himself. And just like the other posts here, all he had to do was stay calm and let Biden fumble over himself. Trump missed so many opportunities because he was to busy running his mouth.

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

Tex1961 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:39 am :banghead:

It was like watching one of those housewife’s of Beverly Hills episodes. Biden didn’t win, but Trump lost. He beat himself. And just like the other posts here, all he had to do was stay calm and let Biden fumble over himself. Trump missed so many opportunities because he was to busy running his mouth.
Good description.

Ive read a lot of "neither of them won voters last night" but I really think Trump lost a bunch.

My wife looked at me a few times early on when biden could hardly speak and said OMG he's really in bad shape... but Trump didn't let that play out enough for the dem voters to see it as they weren't looking for it.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have genuinely stopped giving too much of a hang one way or the other. I accept that a Trump win would be better, but it would also mean another 4 years of what we’ve already been through, and I don’t think the nation can withstand that. The democrats are determined to remake us into their version of a communist utopia, come what may, and they don’t care what the consequences will be.....planned or unplanned.

Here’s all I care about: getting ACB confirmed before January. If McConnell can’t get that done, then Trump's 2nd term—IF. HE. IS. RE-ELECTED.—will be a failed presidency, and the GOP will be to blame. EVERYTHING is riding on that. And there’s no guarantee that Trump will be re-elected, so they HAVE to get this done. This presents a problem..... if Trump's debate performance (which I admittedly did not watch) alienates enough voters, that threatens ACB's confirmation as alienated voters might start letting their GOP senators know that they don’t want to see her confirmed.

Presidents come and go, and in the highly charged political environment we "enjoy" today, it’s not out of the question that democrats could regain the White House 4 years from now, if not this January. But SCOTUS justices last a long time....as RBG demonstrated. Trump isn't going to save us, because good bad or indifferent, he is temporary, as are all presidents. What CAN save us is a solid SCOTUS bench with a due regard for an originalist interpretation of the Constitution.....and that necessarily transcends divisions along exclusively left/right lines. (IOW, sometimes the right is wrong. :mrgreen: ). The dampening effects of a solid judiciary upon a roiling political/legal landscape offers an opportunity for the nation to regain some stability. The GOP are fools if they squander the opportunity.

Whatever Trump does or does not do, or does or does not say during the debates, NONE of it will matter if we can't get ACB confirmed; and his team are idiots if they (a) don’t recognize that fact, and then (b) keep that in mind when coaching him for his debate performances.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I agree with some other posters here that Trump blew some golden opportunities to showcase Biden's mental inadequacies, not to mention his outright lies, and Trump seemed to almost dodge opportunities to counter some of Biden's accusations. Like when Wallace asked about ACB and Trump went into his "we won the election" schtick. Or when Biden announced that he did NOT support the Green New Deal, when in fact he had openly praised it previously as "the path we need to follow." And no, Biden's son was NOT dishonorably discharged.... but he WAS dismissed from the Navy when he tested positive for cocaine. Why didn't Trump bring that out, instead of repeating something everybody knows was false?

Trump really, really needs to work on his focus. It seems like all you have to do is say something negative about him, true or false, and he just comes unglued and loses it. Maybe doing so was part of Biden's strategy: just periodically toss out something critical of Trump, then stand back and let him jabber endlessly.

I recall reading that Trump was "preparing intensely" for the debate. I can't help but wonder what that preparation consisted of.
-Ruark

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

My wife (who will vote for Trump btw) got up and went to sleep after first 20 minutes. She kept saying just shut up and let him sink himself as did I. 40 mins into it I realized that the price of my ARs, ammo etc. just went up a little.

strogg

Post by strogg »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:55 am Here’s all I care about: getting ACB confirmed before January. If McConnell can’t get that done, then Trump's 2nd term—IF. HE. IS. RE-ELECTED.—will be a failed presidency, and the GOP will be to blame. EVERYTHING is riding on that.
I can't agree more. I was, as many recall, a critic of the way McConnell handled the passing of RBG. He set himself up for failure back in 2016 with his "election year" garbage. I knew back then it was just a political ploy, but I went a long with it since it would probably favor us short term despite a huge risk of biting us in the rear 4 years later. Well, 4 years later in 2020, where we are. McConnell turned full hypocrite. And hypocrisy is the crux of how I saw the light years ago, making me run from the Democratic party. So in a way, it resonates with me very much, which is why I keep harping on hypocrisy. It was also a politically risky move on his part to play the opposite card.

Well, since then, the dems have stumbled and reacted extremely poorly, with talks of impeachment for Trump doing what Obama did with impunity back in 2016. Add to that the talks of stacking the supreme court. With that in mind, and the fact that a vote on Barrett might be possible by November and most likely going to happen by January, I'm glad that McConnell did what he did. I'm glad Trump nominated Barrett. That head start is what we really needed.

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

I hope Trumps legacy is 2 terms, 3 [or more] scotus picks, a rebuilt economy [for the 2nd time] and more... but lets keep our eye on the here, now and possible. We need to cement the 3rd scotus pick before anything else goes sideways and then worry about things we can't immediately control.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

strogg wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:42 am
I can't agree more. I was, as many recall, a critic of the way McConnell handled the passing of RBG. He set himself up for failure back in 2016 with his "election year" garbage. I knew back then it was just a political ploy, but I went a long with it since it would probably favor us short term despite a huge risk of biting us in the rear 4 years later. Well, 4 years later in 2020, where we are. McConnell turned full hypocrite. And hypocrisy is the crux of how I saw the light years ago, making me run from the Democratic party. So in a way, it resonates with me very much, which is why I keep harping on hypocrisy. It was also a politically risky move on his part to play the opposite card.
Very poorly explained by McConnell in 2016 and Trump last night. They should point out that throughout our history, presidents have made SCOTUS picks during election years. When the majority of the senate and president are of the same party, most of those appointments are approved. When the president and majority of the senate are not of the same party, most of the appointments are not approved. The election year comments were just dumb and nonfactual. If the president and McConnell would just stick to the precedent established through our history, it's easier to defend.

Funny thing about the hypocrisy though. The dems are now saying the president shouldn't make an appointment when 4 years ago they were saying it needs to be done. Both sides are hypocrites but the Republicans didn't have to be if they would have explained their actions better.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”