Gallop poll (pole) says gun control losing favor

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Gallop poll (pole) says gun control losing favor

Post by philip964 »

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gallop poll (pole) says gun control losing favor

Post by chasfm11 »

And you hardly ever hear it mentioned any more. Even Bloomberg wasn't out pushing Everytown. They beat the horse too often.....

But we can all rest assured that the topic is not dead and they will be back to try to find a way.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

You can guarantee we will be fighting that monster for the next four years+. More than we ever have before. Kamala has stated that she will give congress 90 days before she pushes for executive order, that Joey will ultimately sign.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

This "election" has shown that what the people want no longer matters. Leftists are taking control of the government and betraying their oaths of office. They will attempt to disarm us because they have plans that will result in patriots rising up and trying to kill them. They want to make sure there are as few guns in circulation as possible when that happens. Why else would they go after "assault weapons" first when the overwhelming majority of gun related deaths are from handguns?
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

ou can guarantee we will be fighting that monster for the next four years+. More than we ever have before. Kamala has stated that she will give congress 90 days before she pushes for executive order, that Joey will ultimately sign.
I pray that she's that stupid.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have a lot of liberal relatives. Whenever they bring up gun control, I ask them if they really trust that the government will never try to overstep it's authority. They tend to quickly change their stance on guns after thinking about that.

It's kind of hard to argue that President Trump is a tyrant, and also argue that the citizens don't need to have the ability to resist an out of control government.

Of course, if Biden (meaning Harris) wins, then I might need a different argument for 4 years.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

chasfm11 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:55 pm And you hardly ever hear it mentioned any more. Even Bloomberg wasn't out pushing Everytown. They beat the horse too often.....

But we can all rest assured that the topic is not dead and they will be back to try to find a way.
Except for the slew of gun bills that have already been filed for the Texas 2021 legislative session.

https://thetexan.news/36-gun-bills-pre- ... e-session/

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2020111 ... ve-session
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Gallup.

And.... You can bet that the next mass shooting will not be a missed opportunity.
I don't doubt for a minute that they're not beyond creating the opportunity.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

Pawpaw wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:54 pm
chasfm11 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:55 pm And you hardly ever hear it mentioned any more. Even Bloomberg wasn't out pushing Everytown. They beat the horse too often.....

Except for the slew of gun bills that have already been filed for the Texas 2021 legislative session.

https://thetexan.news/36-gun-bills-pre- ... e-session/

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2020111 ... ve-session
As far as the public is concerned, those bills are all under the covers. Watch how well the media covers any action that is taken to promote those bills toward law. If I remember correctly, most of them have been filed in the past several legislative sessions. It will depend on the House rules including who gets that chairmanships of the committees where those bills are sent. I bet that none of that sees any coverage either. They have figured out that if the public knows, they will get push back. So they won't let the public know.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

Now is not the time to be naive. Joey and Kammy are looking to annihilate the 2nd amendment as we know it. Let's not sugar coat anything. There is a storm coming.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

cirus

Post by cirus »

SpringerFan wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:18 pm Now is not the time to be naive. Joey and Kammy are looking to annihilate the 2nd amendment as we know it. Let's not sugar coat anything. There is a storm coming.
It's like cancer. You can only ignore it for so long and then you're gonna deal with it like it or not. I'm all for cutting a cancer out.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Just out of curiosity, I looked at the January through October (the most recent we have for 2020) NICS numbers for the 2016 election year, last year, and this year. I've stuck the graph in as an attachment because I didn't bother shrinking it down.

And, yep, everybody from the FBI to the NSSF warns us that we can't even bother to estimate firearm sales from NICS numbers. Granted. But I'd still opine that the numbers are a bellwether, at least indicative of trends if nothing else. After all, I have to think--with absolutely no data to back me up--that NICS checks in states that requires them for transfers plus the number of checks declined have to be fairly well offset by the number of new purchases without separate checks in states where carry licensing allows it.

Basically, though, these three years--2016, 2019, and 2020--represent the largest volume of NICS checks in the program's 22-year history. The 2016 election year outpaced the next nearest contender at the time by about 4.4 million background checks, or 19%, with a total of 27.5 million. That annual record stood through 2017 and 2018, and then we barely beat it in 2019 with 28.4 million.

The 2020 numbers may be an important factor in shutting up--at least if/until Biden takes the oath--the anti-gun mouthpieces. The graph pretty starkly illustrates that the coronavirus, rioting, and the threat of a Trump loss has led to a boatload of gun sales...and based on the last NSSF report, to a whole lot of people for whom these were first-time purchases. And we can judge for ourselves by the ammo shortages that these new purchases weren't for things like .270 Winchester or 7mm-08 Remington hunting rifles.

No single month in 2020 so far has seen numbers as low as the highest month totals of either of those two record-setting years. And that annual 28.4 million record in 2019? We're at 32.1 million for the first 10 months of 2020 alone. We won't see the effect of the actual election for another couple of months, but my bet is that we add another 5 or 6 million to that total.
Attachments
NICS-Background-Checks_2016-2019-2020.jpg
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”