The Norm For New CHLers?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Car_RamRod
Posts in topic: 2

The Norm For New CHLers?

Post by Car_RamRod »

So I've had my CHL for about 5 days. I can't help but always feel that I'm printing or that someone can see my weapon through my shirt. Is that normal for a noob like myself? Also, I'm still getting used to the feeling of the weapon with my IWB holster so I catch myself always adjusting myself for comfort. I always wonder if anyone noticed that as well. Kind of a constant feeling of paranoia! Lol...how long 'til it subsides?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Re: The Norm For New CHLers?

Post by WildBill »

Car_RamRod wrote:So I've had my CHL for about 5 days. I can't help but always feel that I'm printing or that someone can see my weapon through my shirt. Is that normal for a noob like myself? Also, I'm still getting used to the feeling of the weapon with my IWB holster so I catch myself always adjusting myself for comfort. I always wonder if anyone noticed that as well. Kind of a constant feeling of paranoia! Lol...how long 'til it subsides?
I can't tell you exactly how long it will last, but it's a normal feeling for many people.

Most people don't notice much of anything going on around them so they aren't watching you.

Be assured that your uneasiness will go away soon. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

txcharvel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txcharvel »

Yep, nobody notices much so you shouldn't worry. I used to worry about printing. My kids still like to point it out if they think I'm printing, but I really don't worry much anymore.

Pretty soon, you'll feel uncomfortable without your weapon on you.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

The "new" will wear off soon. If you haven't already, get yourself a good gun belt and a good holster. Quality belt & holster go a long way toward all day comfort and will help with the need to constantly adjust. It may also take some time before you find the exact spot where everything sits just right.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Car_RamRod wrote:So I've had my CHL for about 5 days. I can't help but always feel that I'm printing or that someone can see my weapon through my shirt. Is that normal for a noob like myself? Also, I'm still getting used to the feeling of the weapon with my IWB holster so I catch myself always adjusting myself for comfort. I always wonder if anyone noticed that as well. Kind of a constant feeling of paranoia! Lol...how long 'til it subsides?
TexasCajun wrote:The "new" will wear off soon. If you haven't already, get yourself a good gun belt and a good holster. Quality belt & holster go a long way toward all day comfort and will help with the need to constantly adjust. It may also take some time before you find the exact spot where everything sits just right.
That's the key right there. The best holster in the world will be uncomfortable if it's not on a good gun belt. Even a cheap holster will be more comfortable if it's on a stiff gun belt.

As for the paranoia, you will eventually realize that the vast majority of people are clueless about anything beyond the end of their nose. ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

That feeling will pass and it will become almost second nature.

Case and point, I am so used to having my weapon on my side that just this morning I had to go to a meeting at the Navel Reserve Base in Ft. Worth. I was halfway there when I realized I had my EDC on my belt :oops:
So I had to turn around and go back to the office to drop it off.

Wish the Feds would realize we are not the BG
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Completely and totally normal. Good gun belt, good holster and dressing around the gun are pretty much the only things needed. If you're wearing leather, it takes some time to break in, so once that happens it makes a world of difference.

Takes me a week or so every time I start wearing a new gun/holster/belt to get back to the happy place where I almost forgot its on.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

As others have said don't worry too much about it. People don't pay enough attention to notice anything, much less a concealed pistol. Also as others have said, good gun belt and good holster make a difference in comfort. I picked up a horsehide with kydex stiffener made a difference that I didn't even know was there to be made. Personally I switched away from leather holsters. With summer heat the sweat and leather was causing me to break out where the holsters were. Now while I still sweat I don't break out. That is me personally I know others don't have an issue with it.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Car_RamRod

Post by Car_RamRod »

Thanks everyone! That's all great advice. Right now I'm using a leather DeSantis IWB holster...and it has gotten better with time. So far a good holster. I guess it's taking its shape. Maybe just a little longer to finally sit right in. I do however need to invest in a good belt. Any suggestions?

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

It's hard to beat the quality of Beltman belts.

http://www.thebeltman.net/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Car_RamRod wrote:Thanks everyone! That's all great advice. Right now I'm using a leather DeSantis IWB holster...and it has gotten better with time. So far a good holster. I guess it's taking its shape. Maybe just a little longer to finally sit right in. I do however need to invest in a good belt. Any suggestions?
There are dozens of guys out there making excellent gun belts, so its hard to go wrong with a purpose built belt. Tucker is local and a lot of guys swear by him, but he's backed up quite a while right now. I went with a smaller shop out of California (don't judge me, the kid's a Veteran and he's a one man shop) called Thompson Tactical. A little pricey but worth every dime.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

If you don't need a dressy leather belt, you can also go with a Wilderness Tactical Instructor belt. I highly recommend them.

Here is one online source: https://www.gtdist.com/brands/wildernes ... width.html

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Given the suggestions to get a belt, I recommend you read this posting, and look at the photo posted by TAM under the heading of Rule #2:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=78336#p996275

That picture is worth a thousand words.

On second thought...read his whole posting.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Pawpaw wrote:If you don't need a dressy leather belt, you can also go with a Wilderness Tactical Instructor belt. I highly recommend them.

Here is one online source: https://www.gtdist.com/brands/wildernes ... width.html
:iagree: I have also had good experiences with the [less expensive] Uncle Mike's version.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Pawpaw wrote:It's hard to beat the quality of Beltman belts.

http://www.thebeltman.net/
:iagree: I own three. Excellent quality and service. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “New to CHL?”