New Deer Load, Has Anybody Used FTX Bullets?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mjoplin
Posts in topic: 1

New Deer Load, Has Anybody Used FTX Bullets?

Post by mjoplin »

Curious if anyone else has tried these components and what your results were. I've decided to go old school at the deer lease this year and go back to the model 94 with iron sights. Loaded up a bunch of 160 gr. FTX with once fired Winchester brass, Federal Match LRP, and Leverevolution powder. Did well with respect to accuracy at the range, but haven't seen "live" use yet on a whitetail.

Has anybody used these (or Hornady Leverevolution pre packaged ammo)? Curious as to how they worked for you...

NRA Life Member
I'm environmentally conscious, I only use recycled ammo courtesy of my Dillon 550
This message was created using only recycled electrons

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Re: New Deer Load, Has Anybody Used FTX Bullets?

Post by mrvmax »

I use them in a few different loads but I have not had the chance to try them out on game yet.

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

were you able to load the ftx bullets without trimming the brass down to Hornady brass lengths?

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

I trim my brass to SAAMI specs and have loaded the FTX bullets in 458 SOCOM, 44 magnum, 300 Blackout and 6.5 Creedmoor.

mouse52

Post by mouse52 »

I too have these loaded by my son . haven't shot a deer yet only hunted 1 time with them. Mike
Semper Fi and carry on. :patriot:

blackdog8200

Post by blackdog8200 »

I used the 45-70 325 ftx to take a nice 8 point in December. Wanted to go through both shoulders as an experiment but hit about 1 1/2 inches high at 107 yards(scope was on but in my excitement forgot that's where I was zeroed) 1895gbl

Hit him square in the spine at the shoulder joint. He did not take a step just got turned 90 degrees and dropped in his tracks. Did not recover the bullet 458 entry hole and. 750 exit hole. No meat loss.

This gun might go to Africa in 2018.....

The reloads i have made shoot sub moa and using 47 grns h4198 cci primers starline brass. They duplicate the leverevolution round in speed etc. 1889 fps from the 18 inch barrel. I did trim case to hornady spec.

The round is likely more accurate but the marlin has a heavy trigger that is on the upgrade list and the Leupold hog plex 1x4 scope cross hair is not exactly fine for you bench rest types :txflag:
Harris County
NRA Life Member 1986

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

My wife rifle is a HR Buffalo Classic 34" Barrel, one shot with scope and leather dressing like that of Native American. I shot only the LeverEvolution Hornady factory Ammo. FTX should be good bullet for games.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Reloading Forum”