Don't Laugh...25 Auto

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 5

Don't Laugh...25 Auto

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Officer's 1911 is my EDC. I'm satisfied with that. But now I'm thinking about a BUG.

This wouldn't be my first choice, but I do currently own a little Beretta 950B Jetfire .25 auto that I'm considering for this purpose. I'm considering it mostly simply because right now I own the .25, and I currently don't have the $400-$500 minimum to spend on a nice .380. I guess I'm hanging my hat on the "any gun is better than no gun" mantra for a BUG right now.

So how big a mistake would this be?

Flame suit on... :mad5

Seabear
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Don't Laugh...25 Auto

Post by Seabear »

I think I would prefer a .22lr over the .25 acp.

In the mid 80's I had a gun shop and decided to test a Raven .25. It functioned well until I shot the bottom of a laundry basket. It still functioned but the projectile bounced back and hit me between the eyes. :shock:
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

You can get a Ruger LCP for under $250 shipped to your FFL from a number of sellers on Gunbroker. .380 is still sort of weak, but it's miles better than .25 ACP.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

Also a Keltec .380 may be another cheap alternative. I wouldn't want to be shot with a .25. However, I wouldn't want to depend on it for my life.

Then again, a gun you have is better than no gun. Maybe bystanders with a more powerful gun will respond to the rapport of your .25 and come assist.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

SRO1911 wrote:.....and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you.
Jeff Cooper

{——SNIP——}

....Martin (the would be victim) was released from the hospital that night.
It was several months before the thug was able to appear in court.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

On the other hand........

10-3/4" penetration with good expansion in ballistic gel and denim, with an XTP with nearly 100% weight retention, out of a 2" barreled Jennings pistol. Surprised the heck out of me.

OTH, Martin soaked up two of them and then gave the shooter an epic beat down for the ages. (I want him on my team)

You sure you want to carry that thing? :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

stingeragent
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stingeragent »

Im gonna go with it's better than nothing. Even if you can hit someone 3 times and they keep on coming, your better off facing them that way, than if they hadn't been hit 3 times. There was a post somewhere recently, on here or maybe a news site talking about why an officer carries 70 something rounds now. He had shot a suspect like 15 times with a 9mm or larger and the guy kept on coming, so that premise isn't immune just because you have a larger caliber

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Carry the .5 for now, but when it comes time to buy a .380, stop and take a look at some of the tiny 9mm pistols on the market now.

I have both a Sig P238 (.380) and a Sig P938 (9mm). I have to lay one on top of the other to see any difference in size. They both feel the same.

There are other makes that fit this description too. Like the Ruger LCP and it's slightly bigger brother, the LC9.

I realize that .380 ammo has come a long way in recent years, but it's still not as powerful as 9mm. The only reason not to go with the more powerful cartridge is if one can't handle the increased recoil.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

stingeragent
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stingeragent »

In the end I would rather be able to put any kind of ammo down range as opposed to throwing popsicle sticks at someone if the situation came up.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Since you already have a 1911 and you have the money for the 25, why not stay with the 1911 for a while longer and save a few hundred more dollars and buy something with a little more knock down power?
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

chuck j

Post by chuck j »

It will do till you can do better , carry what your comfortable with . As a back up it would be fine .

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Richbirdhunter wrote:Since you already have a 1911 and you have the money for the 25, why not stay with the 1911 for a while longer and save a few hundred more dollars and buy something with a little more knock down power?
He said he is considering it for a BUG since he already owns the .25.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

mojo84 wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:Since you already have a 1911 and you have the money for the 25, why not stay with the 1911 for a while longer and save a few hundred more dollars and buy something with a little more knock down power?
Thank you for correcting me
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Thank you for correcting me
You are welcome.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I can imagine the 25ACP round stopping at the end of the barrel and looking around to make sure it was safe to exit from all the jokes I've read about it. Seriously I wouldn't want to be shot with it. 8 shots at point blank range will definitely get someone's attention. I had no idea it would get that much penetration. I would rather have it as a point blank BUG than to not have a BUG as long as this BUG doesn't become primary with any distance involved. I like being able to have a gun in my hand in my pocket without anyone knowing for point blank encounters.

My BUG is only 2 shots. Outgunned by a .25!
III

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”