Uh-oh!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cbr6864r
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Uh-oh!

Post by cbr6864r »

OC or CC it dosent matter people are robbed everyday for no reason at all.....pair of jordans...winning lottery ticket...car...phone....watch you name it.

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Right2Carry »

JALLEN wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:much ado over nothing. I am sure concealed carriers have also been robbed of their firearms as well. My guess is you have a better chance of being struck by lightning then being robbed of your firearm CCing or OCing. We know criminals pick weak targets and IMHO a criminal has a better chance for success going for someone who appears not to be carrying than someone who is OCing.

Why risk attacking an armed individual when easier prey is available?

Criminals use stolen guns mostly from burglaries of some sort, not guns taken off individuals.
This makes no sense.

How do you know to rob a gun from a concealed carrier?
I should have said in the act of being robbed I am sure there have been individuals who were concealed that had their gun taken as well. Just because one CC does not make them immune from being robbed or successful at preventing the robbery. Some criminals may have searched their victims as well.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Topic author
JALLEN
Posts in topic: 11

Post by JALLEN »

cbr6864r wrote:OC or CC it dosent matter people are robbed everyday for no reason at all.....pair of jordans...winning lottery ticket...car...phone....watch you name it.
And your point is?

We are embarking on what for most of us is a new experience, carrying a pistol openly. It seems rational to consider the risk that a miscreant might see you with your pistol and decide he wants it bad enough to rob you and take it, whereas before, he wouldn't be aware that you had a pistol.

So far, the responses have been:

1). Well, it may have happened, but it is very rare, so we don't need to worry about it.

2). Well, it may have happened, but it was a long time ago, so we don't need to worry about it .

3). Well, it happens but people are robbed every day of all sorts of belongings, so we don't need to worry about it.

4). Well, it might happen, but most guns are stolen in burglaries not from carriers, so we don't need to worry about it.

With all these scenarios one need not worry about, maybe we don't need to carry at all. Jeepers.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Open carry, from some reports, is rather rare in other states. So, it would stand that being robbed while open carrying is a rather rare event, as well. I have no reason to believe that Texas will be any different than any other state in this regard, once the "newness" wears off. Anyone who is carrying a handgun in any manner should always keep their situational awareness up, it's just a good practice to do so.

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

This is the one that I'm familiar with:
http://concealedcarrykillers.org/virginia

Concealed Handgun Permit Holder: Blaine Tyler SHOT AND KILLED DURING INCIDENT

Date: November 25, 2011
People Killed: 2

Circumstances: On November 25, 2011, concealed handgun permit holder Blaine Tyler, 48, was shot and killed with his own handgun, allegedly by Toby Smith, 16, inside a Richmond gas station. Seven hours later, at 2:30 AM, Smith allegedly used Tyler’s handgun to shoot and kill Pierre Walter “Pete” Cosby, 32, during a robbery attempt as Cosby sat in his car with a woman. According to authorities, Smith and Tyee Marquel Hamiel, 16, followed Tyler into a BP gas station to rob him. Although Tyler had a permit to carry concealed, he was carrying his handgun in a holster, plainly visible. Smith grabbed the handgun from Tyler and allegedly shot him in the chest after Tyler chased him. According to authorities, “Tyler’s handgun was taken from his person, and within 30 seconds he was shot….” Tyler’s wife said that he took his gun “everywhere he went”and that he had obtained the gun afer an incident that had made him feel defenseless. “I wasn’t 100 percent comfortable with it,” Sophia Tyler stated after the shooting, “But he felt that he needed it.” Less than seven hours later, Smith used Tyler’s gun to allegedly shoot and kill Cosby in a robbery attempt. Smith faces multiple charges, including: two counts of murder in the deaths of Tyler and Cosby; robbery of Tyler; conspiracy to rob Tyler; two counts of attempted robbery; and, 11 firearm charges. Hamiel was charged with: murder in the death of Tyler; robbery; conspiracy to commit robbery; use of a firearm in a robbery; possession of a gun by a minor; use of a firearm in a murder; shooting in a building; and, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Sources: “Teen faces new charges in BP shooting,” Richmond Times Dispatch, February 17, 2012; “Teen homicide suspects have criminal histories,” Richmond Times Dispatch, December 3, 2011; “Second teen arrested in South Richmond slaying; Victim shot at gas station had gun taken from him, police say,” Richmond Times Dispatch, December 1, 2011.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Jason73

Post by Jason73 »

cheezit wrote:Oct 2014, its a little out of date.
Not to mention this happened in Oregon, not in Texas.

Topic author
JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Jason73 wrote:
And the difference it makes is what, exactly?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

cbr6864r
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cbr6864r »

If robbery of your firearm while OC is common then im guessing police and security are constantly being disarmed? I highly doubt it will be a problem here as OC is and has been allowed in several states with no issues.

Jason73

Post by Jason73 »

JALLEN wrote:
Jason73 wrote:
The difference I believe it makes is that, upon first reading your post, my initial impression was that this was somehow related to Open Carry going into effect in the state of Texas, and that this was a relevant story. Upon reading further, and learning that not only is this story over a year old, but also from another state, I am left to question the relevance of this story as it pertains to open carry here. Had a Texan been relieved of their weapon on the first day of open carry, that would have been news worthy IMO, whereas this is not.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

How do you know to rob a gun from a concealed carrier?
In the course of robbing the person the weapon is discovered and taken. Robbers often look to take ALL valuables from a person, though they will want to do so as quickly and effectively as possible. Circumstance would have a lot to do with discovering whether or not a person were armed (CC), whereas OC is readily apparent.

No question....OC provides someone bold enough to attempt a 'snatch' or 'robbery' with information that benefits the actor in assessing the risk and planning the attack. I would never argue that. But, I do think there is a deterrent factor involved with all but the most daring or confident of criminals.

We will see.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Jason73 wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
Jason73 wrote:
The difference I believe it makes is that, upon first reading your post, my initial impression was that this was somehow related to Open Carry going into effect in the state of Texas, and that this was a relevant story. Upon reading further, and learning that not only is this story over a year old, but also from another state, I am left to question the relevance of this story as it pertains to open carry here. Had a Texan been relieved of their weapon on the first day of open carry, that would have been news worthy IMO, whereas this is not.
So you think a robber will rob an open carrier in Oregon, but Texas robbers will not be so uncouth? I grant you that Texas carriers are bigger, taller, smarter, sometimes richer, and better looking than Oregon carriers, but I have no such impressions of robbers in the respective places.

It might pay to be aware of the possibilities and prepared to minimize them.

TexasRifleman

Post by TexasRifleman »

"So you think a robber will rob an open carrier in Oregon, but Texas robbers will not be so uncouth? "

So you can spend all day on Google and you will find exactly 3 stories about this. Three.

44 states with open carry, so that's several million gun owners, and there are 3 stories.

You should be more worried about lightning strikes in broad daylight.

There is a thing in mathematics called "statistical significance". In other words, in any endeavor there will be anomalies, things that happen so rarely that it's as much random chance as correlation to what's being studied.

3 instances of some idiot (owned a gun 2 days, never even fired it) having his gun taken is not "data", or "evidence" and if you spend your life making decisions based on statistically insignificant things you should never leave your house, or stay in your house, or breath... or drink water... or.....

Topic author
JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

I guess if it can't be found on Google, it never happened. Everything that has ever happened now is found on Google, true and complete, so if you don't find it, don't worry about it.

Anyone smart enough to evaluate "statistical significance" probably has all this on a spread sheet and can proceed through life without a care in the world.

Ever heard of Long Term Capital Management? A group of experienced investment geniuses, including 3 Nobel Laureates, burned through about $5 billion in less than 6 months relying on statistics assuring them that the events that took them out would not occur in the life of the universe times 7.

Lightning and physical phenomena you can depend on. Humans you cannot.

TexasRifleman

Post by TexasRifleman »

JALLEN wrote:I guess if it can't be found on Google, it never happened. Everything that has ever happened now is found on Google, true and complete, so if you don't find it, don't worry about it.
Given the anti gun stance of the media in this country, which do you think more likely:

1) Gun carriers have their guns taken often and the media fails to report it

or

2) It simply doesn't happen

You seem to be desperate to believe #1, so go right ahead but it seems a bit far fetched.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

why is he carrying a .22 caliber pistol to begin with?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”