Signs, signs everywhere signs

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Swoops1
Posts in topic: 1

Signs, signs everywhere signs

Post by Swoops1 »

Just unfollowed a certain OC Advocacy group on FB.I think had I seen one more post about signs I was going to loose my mind. They talk about the size the color, to letter size, contrasting backgrounds, it was in english not in Spanish. I realize the sign is important but, evidently you saw it, which means it was big enough to read, you could read what ever language it was written in. Don't start bashing I am pro 2A and I believe if you can purchase a gun legally you should be able to carry it. Why just English and Spanish aren't we leaving out the French, German, Chinese, Vietnamese out don't forget Arabic :rules: :banghead: Okay rant over.

Charlies.Contingency

Re: Signs, signs everywhere signs

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

I don't believe this will go anywhere. :rules:

The law states what the law states. If it does not meet the requirements, then it is not legal.

The law states that the steer tires of a big rig must be at least 4/32in, and the rest of the tires at least 2/32in. That doesn't mean that just because you have tires, means you are close enough to be considered legal. If you want to enforce the LAW on somebody, you must abide by the same LAW. Otherwise, one would be considered a hypocrite.

It is really quite simple, abide but what is written if you want to make others abide by what is written. No double standards.

(NOTE: The word "YOU" is not intended to be directed towards anybody.)
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mr1337 »

Swoops1 wrote:Just unfollowed a certain OC Advocacy group on FB.I think had I seen one more post about signs I was going to loose my mind. They talk about the size the color, to letter size, contrasting backgrounds, it was in english not in Spanish. I realize the sign is important but, evidently you saw it, which means it was big enough to read, you could read what ever language it was written in. Don't start bashing I am pro 2A and I believe if you can purchase a gun legally you should be able to carry it. Why just English and Spanish aren't we leaving out the French, German, Chinese, Vietnamese out don't forget Arabic :rules: :banghead: Okay rant over.
I don't know the exact story, but here's what I heard about the Spanish requirement. There was a congressman who has a lot of Hispanic constituents. He wanted 30.06 to be in Spanish as well, so his constituents could read the sign.

Once we get enough people who speak French, German, Chinese, or Arabic, I'm sure someone will introduce legislation for that as well.

The law is pretty specific. If even one of the criteria for the sign is incorrect, it's not a valid sign. If they can't produce a valid sign out of the incredibly specific language, that's their fault.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Anyone who lives in this great country on permanent basis, should be able to read and write and understand English. Otherwise, he is not doing himself a service, and would be dependent on others to live like a free person.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

You'd be surprised how far a translate app can get you these days.

You're also forgetting that Spanish is the primary language in PR. Chamorro is very common in Guam. I'm sure some Inuit tribes don't know a lick of English. All of these places are in the US.

Being a free country, it's their choice to learn the language or not. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the Spanish requirement for 30.06 and 30.07. The state legislature thought it was big enough of a concern to amend the law to include the language. Until someone thinks it's a big enough concern to remove it, it will be there.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Beiruty wrote:Anyone who lives in this great country on permanent basis, should be able to read and write and understand English. Otherwise, he is not doing himself a service, and would be dependent on others to live like a free person.
:iagree: , speaking English and having a photo ID should be the minimum requirement for citizenship.

3dfxMM
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 3dfxMM »

Oldgringo wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Anyone who lives in this great country on permanent basis, should be able to read and write and understand English. Otherwise, he is not doing himself a service, and would be dependent on others to live like a free person.
:iagree: , speaking English and having a photo ID should be the minimum requirement for citizenship.
Given that there is no official U.S. language it makes no sense that knowing one specific language would be a requirement for citizenship.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

3dfxMM wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Given that there is no official U.S. language it makes no sense that knowing one specific language would be a requirement for citizenship.
There's also no requirement for citizens to obtain a photo ID. I'd wager that would be a 4th Amendment violation.
Keep calm and carry.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mr1337 wrote:You'd be surprised how far a translate app can get you these days.

You're also forgetting that Spanish is the primary language in PR. Chamorro is very common in Guam. I'm sure some Inuit tribes don't know a lick of English. All of these places are in the US.

Being a free country, it's their choice to learn the language or not. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the Spanish requirement for 30.06 and 30.07. The state legislature thought it was big enough of a concern to amend the law to include the language. Until someone thinks it's a big enough concern to remove it, it will be there.
The law was not amended to add Spanish to §30.06. It was in HB2909 (1997) when TPC §30.06 was established. Why Spanish was included is an issue I cannot discuss.

Chas.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mr1337 wrote:You'd be surprised how far a translate app can get you these days.

The law was not amended to add Spanish to §30.06. It was in HB2909 (1997) when TPC §30.06 was established. Why Spanish was included is an issue I cannot discuss.

Chas.
Now see what you did... Before I didn't care why it was included, but now I really want to know. It makes it sound sinister or backhanded... like it was something other than making sure that our Border Brothers had effective notice under the law.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

allisji

Post by allisji »

Swoops1 wrote:Why just English and Spanish aren't we leaving out the French, German, Chinese, Vietnamese out don't forget Arabic. Okay rant over.
:thumbs2:

If we make the signs big enough, then no one will be able to fit them on their store fronts and everyone will choose to take them down.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

mr1337 wrote:
3dfxMM wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
There's also no requirement for citizens to obtain a photo ID. I'd wager that would be a 4th Amendment violation.
I reckon I was thinking of a photo ID to vote as well as the other things for which one must produce a photo ID; e.g., booze, checks, DL, CHL, job, passport, etc., etc.

As far as English is concerned, I speak no other language; ergo, English is my official language.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

English is the official language of these United States. Candidates for naturalization must be able to read, write, and speak English well enough to conduct their naturalization interview in it.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

Signs...signs....everywhere the signs...blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind...Do this, don't do that...Can't you read the signs?!!

(Or my personal favorite)... And the sign said, Long haired freaky people need not apply..." So I tucked my hair up under my hat, and I went in to ask him, why? He said, "You look like a fine upstanding man, I think you'll do..." So I pulled out my hair from under my hat, and said..."Hmmph...Imagine that!, Me workin' for you!"

(Scott's Electrical Band Version)... And the sign said open carryin' freaky people need not come inside...! So I tucked my shirt down over my Colt and I went in to ask H.E. Butt, why? He said, "You look like a fine upstanding young man, I'll sell to you!". So I pushed my shirt up off my Colt and I said..."Hmmph, Imagine that...Me buyin' from you!!"

:evil2: "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Spanish was the original official language of Texas. When it gained its independence it was changed to English. The two most spoken languages in Texas are English and Spanish. The majority of people in Texas that don't read nor write English are Mexican which speak Spanish. This makes it understandable why the sign should be in both languages. If we were in Louisiana the sign would be in English and French.

Return to “Off-Topic”