Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Post by LTUME1978 »

Flintknapper,

My replies (in bold) to your comments in a previous post:

So without having contacted your resources at work to inquire about their decision, how do you know that CC has become a "casualty" owing to OC?

I know because the email was very clear that this change was a result of Open Carry going into effect.

What was the policy concerning handguns BEFORE OC? Did your company expressly allow handguns CC'd, or were they just like a LOT of companies and simply didn't give much thought to it? Most companies....whether posted or not, still have/had policies (in employee handbooks) prohibiting weapons (to include handguns). If that was the case it might be inaccurate to claim that OC caused the demise of CC.

The building that our office is in was not posted (nor were the floors that we occupy). That is unique for our family of companies but it is what it is (or was). The policy is worded such that the building has to be posted for restrictions to apply (if required by state law). Other locations that I have worked at for my employer were posted but they were buildings/sites owned 100% by the company. In our case, we lease floors in this building.

I will not argue that OC has caused many businesses to now decide what their position will be with regards to allowing or disallowing handguns (regardless the mode of carry). I think to some degree that is what we are seeing.

Nothing to comment on here

You do realize that your company can grant individuals 'permission' to carry on the premises, exclusive of the signs?

I am aware of that and am already working on that option but have no idea how that will play out.

IF their posture was to allow CC before, then I wouldn't think you'd have any problem getting permission.

I wish things worked that way.

I don't see OC a clear advancement. Actually, I don't see it as an advancement. What I would see as an advancement is the right to carry anywhere that LEO can carry. That would be something worth having, not OC that gets so limited that it is of no use and increases the limitations on concealed carry.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 11

Post by VMI77 »

LTUME1978 wrote:jb2012,

You folks are missing the point. You may win over some of the "normal" folks but you will never win over the CEOs/lawyers that put up the 30.06 signs for larger corporations (you won't even get access to them to talk with them). Once these (30.06) are up, they are there to stay. Many of these folks (CEOs) in downtown Houston never gave 30.06 a thought because I guess they thought that everyone was like them (not into guns and cc).

I don't know what else I can say, it you don't get it now, you won't ever get it (unless you get moved to an office in downtown Houston and loose all rights to carry).
Same thing happened at my workplace. CHLs were allowed to carry for years. About two months ago the policy was revised to even more explicitly allow CC....no mention of OC. I don't know for sure that it was due to OC, but about two weeks before Christmas the policy was changed again to prohibit CC and OC and 30.06 and 30.07 signs were posted.

What I do know for sure is that CC wasn't allowed out of ignorance of the law. It was prohibited and many years ago the policy was amended to explicitly allow it. The company even conducted a CHL class for employees on company property. My work place is out in the country and I'd guess that 90% of more of the employees own guns. I don't know any that don't. In my department 50% or more probably have CHLs...so the policy change was not a popular move among employees.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

baldeagle wrote:
Rvrrat14 wrote:As witnessed in several robberies, 30.06/30.07 also let the goblins know where to go!

Sooner or later they all figure it out and become human, whereby they think for themselves.

Patience.....
What universe do you live in? I live in America, and it's been my experience that people don't learn much at all. We keep electing the same "leaders" over and over again, even after they've been convicted of crimes. How does that indicate even a modicum of learning? The nation has been going downhill for 50 years or more and yet people still argue about which party is better for the country when both parties have been destroying it.

Since 1950 every mass shooting but two have taken place in gun free zones. Have you seen much learning going on? Have any gun free zones come down? My God, we even have gun free zones on military bases.

It's been said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. On that basis, at least half, if not more, of Americans are insane. No learning is going to occur in that crowd.
You mention military gun free zones....I left the military in 83, over 30 years ago. When I was in we'd get briefings on possible terrorist attacks yet it didn't stop command from posting sentries not with just unloaded weapons, but weapons with empty mags, so they'd have to remove the empty mag and insert a full mag to resist an attack. The insanity has been around a very long time.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flintknapper »

LTUME,

Thank You for the follow up and clarification. I hope that your company will see fit to allow you to CC.... as is their discretion.

Sounds like you might have a reasonable chance. Please let us know.

Flint.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 1

Post by locke_n_load »

So tired of the "OC killed CC" threads.
This is like the tenth one I've seen.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Rvrrat14
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rvrrat14 »

baldeagle wrote:
Rvrrat14 wrote:As witnessed in several robberies, 30.06/30.07 also let the goblins know where to go!

Sooner or later they all figure it out and become human, whereby they think for themselves.

Patience.....
What universe do you live in? I live in America, and it's been my experience that people don't learn much at all. We keep electing the same "leaders" over and over again, even after they've been convicted of crimes. How does that indicate even a modicum of learning? The nation has been going downhill for 50 years or more and yet people still argue about which party is better for the country when both parties have been destroying it.

Since 1950 every mass shooting but two have taken place in gun free zones. Have you seen much learning going on? Have any gun free zones come down? My God, we even have gun free zones on military bases.

It's been said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. On that basis, at least half, if not more, of Americans are insane. No learning is going to occur in that crowd.
Thanks for your civil response.

Rvrrat14

Post by Rvrrat14 »

locke_n_load wrote:So tired of the "OC killed CC" threads.
Agreed

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by howdy »

I will let Russell comment on this. It seems to me that a lot of the Texas 30.06 emails I have received are just INCLUDING the 30.07 sign to a business that was already 30.06 posted. There are some disturbing ones like the Catholic Churches in the DFW area and a Methodist Church in Conroe. (all 30.06 and 30.07 posted). It seems a lot of the Exxon stop and robs are posting both signs.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

OlBill
Posts in topic: 7

Post by OlBill »

I see some that just say 30.06 sign. No mention of 30.07.

What does that mean? Probably were already 30.07?

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Rvrrat14 wrote:
Agreed
:iagree:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

chuckybrown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chuckybrown »

oljames3 wrote:
Rvrrat14 wrote:
Agreed
:iagree:
:iagree: 1,000 percent.
Chuckybrown

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

I have to lol at all the "signs are never coming down" declarations. The vast majority of signs I have seen are at convenience stores and it abundantly clear that all of these posters came from the same source. I would be willing to wager that MDA or some other anti group supplied the signs at no cost. If you really believe that a free poster stuck to the window with scotch tape is never coming down........well lol.

One of these stores (.06 and .07) is one that my wife stops at 3-5 times a week. She will be politely informing them why she is going to have to cease stopping at their store on Monday. I'll be doing the same for another store that I used to go to every Monday and Thursday on my way to our IDPA/PASS matches.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

canvasbck wrote:I have to lol at all the "signs are never coming down" declarations. The vast majority of signs I have seen are at convenience stores and it abundantly clear that all of these posters came from the same source. I would be willing to wager that MDA or some other anti group supplied the signs at no cost. If you really believe that a free poster stuck to the window with scotch tape is never coming down........well lol.

One of these stores (.06 and .07) is one that my wife stops at 3-5 times a week. She will be politely informing them why she is going to have to cease stopping at their store on Monday. I'll be doing the same for another store that I used to go to every Monday and Thursday on my way to our IDPA/PASS matches.
Why don't you do us all a favor? When you go by those two stores you can no longer shop at, please take a photograph of the signs and post them here so we can see if you're right about the scotch tape. And don't forget to report them to texas3006.com as well.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Oldgringo »

I hope we get some nice weather pretty soon so that I can go outside and play with something other than my keyboard.

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

baldeagle wrote:
canvasbck wrote:I have to lol at all the "signs are never coming down" declarations. The vast majority of signs I have seen are at convenience stores and it abundantly clear that all of these posters came from the same source. I would be willing to wager that MDA or some other anti group supplied the signs at no cost. If you really believe that a free poster stuck to the window with scotch tape is never coming down........well lol.

Why don't you do us all a favor? When you go by those two stores you can no longer shop at, please take a photograph of the signs and post them here so we can see if you're right about the scotch tape. And don't forget to report them to texas3006.com as well.
I will report them to texas30.06.com.

I'm not sure if I misinterpreted the tone of your post, but it seems as though I'm being accused of making up the scotch tape. Not sure why I would do that, but I'm 100% certain that the signs at Coastal Mart on highway 6 in between Alvin and Manvel are secured with scotch tape. I'll check and see how the signs at Chevron on FM1462 are attached to the window.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”