30.06 and Local Governments In Revolt

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

30.06 and Local Governments In Revolt

Post by Abraham »

So, when the final tally is in and many, if not most, Texas city halls, court houses, etc. say we'll post 30.06 signs while they thumb their collective noses at the AG - Are they breaking the law?

If so, what next for the AG to make the 30.06 laws stick?

Or, is there really nothing he can do?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Re: 30.06 and Local Governments In Revolt

Post by mojo84 »

His office files a lawsuit and it gets settled in the courts is my understanding.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

mojo84,

I get the impression the various governmental law breakers aren't in the slightest concerned about going to court.

Perhaps, they think such cases will drag out for so long, the law will get changed in their favor, so they're going to do whatever...maybe...

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I think Obama has proven that method effective at the national level. However, I am hoping our legislators will take note and offense to the local governments thumbing their noses at them and address it next legislative session of it continues to drag on.

I firmly believe our national legislature has rendered themselves impotent. Hopefully, our state legislature will not follow suit. They need to exert their power in order to keep from losing it.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Solaris
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Solaris »

Obeying the law is for the little people. thus the only solution is to remove the law making it illegal to carry.

It outrages me a retired cop from NYC can carry at my local Govt but a resident like me can not.

Whal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Whal »

In Waco, they posted no gun signs at the courthouse. The AG threatened to fine them. Waco moved a couple of offices and now they can keep posting no gun signs. The more things change, the more they stay the same. :roll:

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Abraham wrote:mojo84,

I get the impression the various governmental law breakers aren't in the slightest concerned about going to court.

Perhaps, they think such cases will drag out for so long, the law will get changed in their favor, so they're going to do whatever...maybe...
Abraham,

I have to agree with you here. Perhaps, instead of penalties paid by the offending governing agency to another government agency, it could be changed such that the individuals responsible for making the decision to place the sign could be held personally financially responsible for that decision. That might make them less willing to stick their neck out for the cause.

Or, perhaps instead of the AG filing suit and collecting the money for the state, it could be made such that individual citizens could file personal suits and get compensated by the offending local government. That wouldn't sent to fight these cases to move forward rather quickly, I bet.

Perhaps a combination of both above would be best of all.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Vol Texan wrote:

Abraham,

I have to agree with you here. Perhaps, instead of penalties paid by the offending governing agency to another government agency, it could be changed such that the individuals responsible for making the decision to place the sign could be held personally financially responsible for that decision. That might make them less willing to stick their neck out for the cause.

Or, perhaps instead of the AG filing suit and collecting the money for the state, it could be made such that individual citizens could file personal suits and get compensated by the offending local government. That wouldn't sent to fight these cases to move forward rather quickly, I bet.

This. Any political subdivision who is found to be in violation will have each of its principal employees (the mayor and city council, city managers, county commissioners, library board members... any and all of them) shall be fined $10,000 each. If the fine is not paid within 30 days of being levied, the individual shall be removed from office and prohibited from ever seeking any elected or appointed government office in Texas.

Either take down the signs, or resign before you are found to be in violation.

Right here in our little town of Benbrook, they had a city council meeting to remove a line in the city ordinances that prohibited carrying firearms in city parks. One member asked if they could just ignore the state and pay the penalty, and that it would be a small price to pay to keep guns out of the parks... It is more widespread that most of us know.

Screw these tyrants at every level.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

Take the advice of Calvin Coolidge.

"Don't vote for Democrats."
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

JALLEN wrote:Take the advice of Calvin Coolidge.

Unfortunately, it's not just democrats now days.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

mojo84 wrote:

Ya gotta start somewhere.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

JALLEN wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

I agree but you don't stop there either. If you do, you end up with the likes of Joe Straus, Byron Cook, Boehner, McConnell and many many other RINOS. Do you not agree?

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

AJSully421 wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:

Abraham,

This. Any political subdivision who is found to be in violation will have each of its principal employees (the mayor and city council, city managers, county commissioners, library board members... any and all of them) shall be fined $10,000 each. If the fine is not paid within 30 days of being levied, the individual shall be removed from office and prohibited from ever seeking any elected or appointed government office in Texas.

Either take down the signs, or resign before you are found to be in violation.

Right here in our little town of Benbrook, they had a city council meeting to remove a line in the city ordinances that prohibited carrying firearms in city parks. One member asked if they could just ignore the state and pay the penalty, and that it would be a small price to pay to keep guns out of the parks... It is more widespread that most of us know.

Screw these tyrants at every level.
Why is Florida so far ahead of us on these issues?

"The 2014 Florida Statutes 790.33 (3)PROHIBITIONS; PENALTIES.—
(c) If the court determines that a violation was knowing and willful, the court shall assess a civil fine of up to $5,000 against the elected or appointed local government official or officials or administrative agency head under whose jurisdiction the violation occurred.
(d) Except as required by applicable law, public funds may not be used to defend or reimburse the unlawful conduct of any person found to have knowingly and willfully violated this section."
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

AJSully421 wrote:This. Any political subdivision who is found to be in violation will have each of its principal employees (the mayor and city council, city managers, county commissioners, library board members... any and all of them) shall be fined $10,000 each.
Easy now. I'm a city council member, and I should not be held responsible for the votes of others on the council.

:shock:

And for the record, we don't have any signs.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

mojo84 wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

I agree but you don't stop there either. If you do, you end up with the likes of Joe Straus, Byron Cook, Boehner, McConnell and many many other RINOS. Do you not agree?
I suppose, in principle. Some of those mentioned I'm not familiar with. I think if you got the Dems out, those wayward ones would straighten up, be less ahhh, imaginative.

Some believe that a conservative is someone more so than they are, while anyone less so is a lib.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”