Musician Prince Dead at 57

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 14

Musician Prince Dead at 57

Post by WildBill »

The artist known as Prince has died. He was 57.
Prince's body was discovered at his Paisley Park compound in Minnesota early Thursday morning.
Multiple sources connected to the singer confirmed he had passed.
We've obtained the emergency dispatch call for a "male down, not breathing."
http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/21/prince-dead-at-57/
NRA Endowment Member

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Musician Prince Dead at 57

Post by Texsquatch »

I'm not sure that everyone knows how great and talented a musician he was. Most know of his popular music, but the dude could really play guitar and piano with the best.

I had a friend tell me stories of her father who was a musician in Minneapolis and he would tell her about this weird little kid that would bum rides off of him to the studio and make all this crazy strange music. It was many years later when Purple Rain came out and he figured out who that weird kid was.

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Texsquatch wrote:I'm not sure that everyone knows how great and talented a musician he was. Most know of his popular music, but the dude could really play guitar and piano with the best.

I had a friend tell me stories of her father who was a musician in Minneapolis and he would tell her about this weird little kid that would bum rides off of him to the studio and make all this crazy strange music. It was many years later when Purple Rain came out and he figured out who that weird kid was.
Yes he had a very unique musical talent.
This video doesn't show his talent as a composer, but it demonstrates his prowess on the guitar and his showmanship.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 8#p1074538
NRA Endowment Member

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

When we were kids, I remember we used to say, "Michael Jackson and Prince both are talented. I wonder which one will come out on top?" Well, Prince certainly proved himself more worthy than MJ.

Rest in Peace.

As a side note, can TAFKAP now be referred to as TFAKAP?

Oh, sorry - too soon?

Rest in Peace.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

WildBill wrote:
Texsquatch wrote:I'm not sure that everyone knows how great and talented a musician he was. Most know of his popular music, but the dude could really play guitar and piano with the best.

This video doesn't show his talent as a composer, but it demonstrates his prowess on the guitar and his showmanship.

I still never figured out how he threw that Tele in the air at the end, and where it went?! :shock:

This really is a great loss to the music world. He was different, but that is what many times makes a great artist. :tiphat:

RIP
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:
WildBill wrote:

I still never figured out how he threw that Tele in the air at the end, and where it went?! :shock:

This really is a great loss to the music world. He was different, but that is what many times makes a great artist. :tiphat:

RIP
That is part of the showmanship that I was referring to.
Did you notice at 4:49 there was a guy in front of the stage that pushed him back up.
Maybe he is the one who caught the guitar. :cool:
NRA Endowment Member

nyj

Post by nyj »

There were very few Prince songs that I liked, but he was an amazing entertainer and one of the most talented musicians.

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

I thought he was a tad...odd...but he was an outstanding guitar player....and where DID his guitar go???

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

Vol Texan wrote:When we were kids, I remember we used to say, "Michael Jackson and Prince both are talented. I wonder which one will come out on top?" Well, Prince certainly proved himself more worthy than MJ.

Rest in Peace.

Oh, sorry - too soon?

Rest in Peace.
O(+>
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Kenneth77

Post by Kenneth77 »

Really tired of seeing all this fuss over a washed up has been singer that was never any good at all , we as americans need a wake up call on who we put in the spot light . I think every news station should start their morning off horning a fallen soldier or a living one !
leeproductsonline.com

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

I was a big fan of Duke and Count, not so much this Prince guy.

He'd likely have lived a lot longer if he had stayed off drugs. I can't get too sympathetic for folks who get messed up like that. It's not like it's a surprise.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Vol Texan wrote:When we were kids, I remember we used to say, "Michael Jackson and Prince both are talented. I wonder which one will come out on top?" Well, Prince certainly proved himself more worthy than MJ.

Rest in Peace.

Oh, sorry - too soon?

Rest in Peace.
To me he will always remain The Artist Once Again Known As Prince. RIP

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

I agree with Kenneth77 and JALLEN,

I'm completely puzzled as to why this guy's death is so enormously news worthy?

It's not to me and I suspect I'm really not alone.

To me, I saw him much like the other music weirdo, M. Jackson. An obscure (to me anyway) oddball, druggie music guy.

Or, maybe, the news folk realize the public is sick of hearing about politicians and they jumped on this non big deal news like a chicken on a june bug.

Another famous musician/druggie died, oh yeah, that's important.

You'd think someone super worthy died according to the media...

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I realize that Prince's music isn't for all tastes. In fact I didn't listen to it very often,.
But as a person who listens and appreciates many types of music, I was aware of some of it.

As far as publicity, his death is a newsworthy event.
If the media is giving it too much attention, I can't say.
The media will print and broadcast as much or as little as they desire.
Unlike other "celebrities" who are famous for being famous, I would rather read about someone like Prince who actually had talent and accomplished something with it.
As far as the manner of his death, it is unfortunate that he chose to use drugs, but I don't think anyone is glorifying him for it.
It is just another sad and unnecessary death caused by drug abuse.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”