S&W Shield 9mm question

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

JRG
Posts in topic: 1

Re: S&W Shield 9mm question

Post by JRG »

Since I am looking for a single stack 9mm firearm now, should I also consider the Pro Shield? I am strongly considering the Springfield XDS at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Joe

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

rotor wrote:
AndyC wrote:I have shot ported handguns fairly extensively, and the only word of caution I would give you is be very wary of shooting them from the retention position ie. down at waist level. The ports throw a LOT of debris upwards at high velocity - I had to have my eyes washed out the first time I tried that.
They warn about this in the manual that comes with the gun. They have a whole page of ported barrel warnings. They also have a million pages (it seems) of other warnings. Takes forever to find out how to field strip it.
Also be aware that certain brands of popular target ammo (Blazer Brass comes to mind) have a warning on the box to 'Not Use in Ported Firearms'. They use a copper plating process for the jacketing that can separate from the lead & cause injury.

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 8

Post by rotor »

I emailed S&W today and they sent me back this
"Dear Customer,

Certain ammo companies may use bullets that fragment. The ammo companies will make a note of this if you can use them or not in ported pistols.

Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Regards, Rob"

I don't know if it is a legal thing or a real thing as many people report no problems with Blazer or Federal (not all Federal has the warning).

We took it to the range today. What a hot day. I had my Glock 43 and my wife the S&W. I shot the first mag, an 8 rounder. After 7 rounds the slide locked open. I could not get the slide to move. Magazine still had one round. Popped the magazine out and wasn't sure what the problem was. The slide was all the way back, further than it would be with a normal locked open. Finally just tapped the barrel ( bang things when all else fails ), the slide went forward. I believe that there may have been a little burr perhaps on the port that held the slide back. Then wife shot about 200 rounds of Fiocchi 115 gr 9mm ( goes on sale Wednesday at Atwoods for $10 a box and will buy more) and no forther problems. She loved the gun. I had my Glock 43 and to me they felt the same but the sights on the S&W were much better. We then picked up brass and almost died of heat exhaustion and the brass had all fallen in about the same area, thankfully. The gun is a keeper. Porting to me didn't make much difference. I found that standing directly behind my wife while she was shooting I could feel more impact with the ported S&W than with the Glock. All in all it was a fun experience for both of us and the better shot, my wife, loves the gun. She wanted a gun with a safety and that's what she got.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

rotor wrote:I emailed S&W today and they sent me back this
"Dear Customer,

Certain ammo companies may use bullets that fragment. The ammo companies will make a note of this if you can use them or not in ported pistols.

Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Regards, Rob"

I don't know if it is a legal thing or a real thing as many people report no problems with Blazer or Federal (not all Federal has the warning).

We took it to the range today. What a hot day. I had my Glock 43 and my wife the S&W. I shot the first mag, an 8 rounder. After 7 rounds the slide locked open. I could not get the slide to move. Magazine still had one round. Popped the magazine out and wasn't sure what the problem was. The slide was all the way back, further than it would be with a normal locked open. Finally just tapped the barrel ( bang things when all else fails ), the slide went forward. I believe that there may have been a little burr perhaps on the port that held the slide back. Then wife shot about 200 rounds of Fiocchi 115 gr 9mm ( goes on sale Wednesday at Atwoods for $10 a box and will buy more) and no forther problems. She loved the gun. I had my Glock 43 and to me they felt the same but the sights on the S&W were much better. We then picked up brass and almost died of heat exhaustion and the brass had all fallen in about the same area, thankfully. The gun is a keeper. Porting to me didn't make much difference. I found that standing directly behind my wife while she was shooting I could feel more impact with the ported S&W than with the Glock. All in all it was a fun experience for both of us and the better shot, my wife, loves the gun. She wanted a gun with a safety and that's what she got.
:thewave Love my ported Shield!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

JRG wrote:Since I am looking for a single stack 9mm firearm now, should I also consider the Pro Shield? I am strongly considering the Springfield XDS at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Joe
I have never handled the xds. I know it has a trigger and grip safety. Never heard a bad word about Springfield. My wife wanted a standard safety on her gun so the xds was out. She said the Shield fit her hand great. To me the Glock43 and Shield feel the same. I have a Glock 43,26, and 21 so I can live without the standard safety. I also have a Ruger SR1911 which I have to admit is my favorite shooting pistol. I am partial to revolvers though as in my old age I don't like bending over to pick up my brass.
The Shield in 9mm was just a lot of fun to shoot. It feels harder to rack the slide than my Glock 43. Perhaps that will loosen with time. The Glock is easier to field strip and clean. Price wise Academy has the Pro Shield on sale this week ($429.99) and it was a great buy. I don't think you can go wrong with the Shield. Very few guns that I don't like though and my safe just keeps filling up.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

I really like my original model Shield. I would be interested in a PC model if they came out with one that was not ported. In a self defense carry gun, I do not want a ported model. If things got hairy, I do not want the flash or the concern of hot gasses and debris thrown up into my face in a close quarters retention firing. Still, it's a personal choice and nice to have options. She can have the better sights installed on a basic model and the stock trigger is still a nice trigger in my experience. I like the thumb safety also. We ladies like to carry in positions that put more body parts at risk than the standard 3-4:30 popular with the guys so a safety is an important feature to me for reholstering. Just my 2 cents.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

SkipB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SkipB »

I don't know if it's to late to post an opinion. I own 4 S&W M&P Shields. 2 standard 9's. One I carried. Then the Performance Center ones came out and I bought one in 9mm. Recently I came across one in .40 and bought it. I've always liked the Shield and the new PC ones to me have a few advantages with a smoother trigger and the ported barrel. I have not been to the range with the .40 yet but I love the 9's. For me personally I wouldn't carry anything else.
Last edited by SkipB on Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skip Bishop

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

TexasGal wrote:I really like my original model Shield. I would be interested in a PC model if they came out with one that was not ported. In a self defense carry gun, I do not want a ported model. If things got hairy, I do not want the flash or the concern of hot gasses and debris thrown up into my face in a close quarters retention firing. Still, it's a personal choice and nice to have options. She can have the better sights installed on a basic model and the stock trigger is still a nice trigger in my experience. I like the thumb safety also. We ladies like to carry in positions that put more body parts at risk than the standard 3-4:30 popular with the guys so a safety is an important feature to me for reholstering. Just my 2 cents.
I understand what you're saying, but consider that in a close quarters firing you aren't the only one possibly affected by hot gasses from the ports.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

Mike S wrote:
rotor wrote:
AndyC wrote:I have shot ported handguns fairly extensively, and the only word of caution I would give you is be very wary of shooting them from the retention position ie. down at waist level. The ports throw a LOT of debris upwards at high velocity - I had to have my eyes washed out the first time I tried that.
They warn about this in the manual that comes with the gun. They have a whole page of ported barrel warnings. They also have a million pages (it seems) of other warnings. Takes forever to find out how to field strip it.
Also be aware that certain brands of popular target ammo (Blazer Brass comes to mind) have a warning on the box to 'Not Use in Ported Firearms'. They use a copper plating process for the jacketing that can separate from the lead & cause injury.
Correct. I got this in an email from Blazer people.
"The Blazer bullet is a thin plated bullet. When the bullet travels down the barrel it skives the bullet and can pull of parts of the plating to be shed out the ports and into your face. It is a safety issue."
Some Federal have same warnings.
You need to know what you are getting especially if you buy by mail order.

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

I don't want to start anything here but Remington makes very good handgun ammo. I use their ammo in my pistols and revolvers and I've never had an issue.
Skip Bishop

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Anyone taken a look at the newest Shield in 45? Just wondering if its to mush snap on a weapon that small. :fire

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

Ported pistols also tend to degrade your vision in low light situations.

Edited to correct "thumbos".
Last edited by bulletslap on Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Take Down Sicko wrote:Anyone taken a look at the newest Shield in 45? Just wondering if its to mush snap on a weapon that small. :fire
Not likely. With an empty mag it weighs 22.7 ounces. My Kimber Ultra CDP II with an empty mag weighs 25 ounces and shoots pretty soft, to me. I doubt being 2.3 ounces lighter would make much difference.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Thats great. I'm considering another pistol to keep near my front door hidden from view. Thanks

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”