Geocache on my property. Now what?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 9

Geocache on my property. Now what?

Post by C-dub »

We've had a huge increase in traffic of kids and adults on our property this year. The area where we've seen the increase is open and the city prohibits the land owners from installing any fences by not approving any permits to do so. Today, while mowing, I met another neighbor from the back and he informed me that he's heard there might be a geocache back there somewhere.

I've only heard of these things and don't know much else. How do I locate this thing and get rid of it to keep others from trespassing on mine and my neighbors' land?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

FuziDave
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Geocache on my property. Now what?

Post by FuziDave »

their web site is here: https://www.geocaching.com/play

you might be able to search for the exact one. or you can contact the admin there. they are only allowed to place them on private property w/ the permission of the land owner. you could tell them to remove it from their site since you didn't give your permission.
FuziDave

FuziDave

Post by FuziDave »

if you want to pm me your address i could search and see if anything shows up.
FuziDave

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

I contacted somebody off their website when I found one. I was concerned that it was in a tree next to an electric fence. I received a response that they would move it. They did not. Then I have found the thing zip tied to my fence and I threw it away. Just this weekend I found another one and threw it in the trash. Next time I'm going to leave a nasty note and put it back or cut the tree down or put up a "you're in range" sign. I'm not in the city limits and had to look mine by GPS coordinates.

If you do contact them and they move what ever this goofy thing is, please let me know you who talk to so I can do the same thing.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Wow, I never knew such things existed! Our civilization must be getting really bored. How about this one, find a job and then find money!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

TreyHouston wrote:Wow, I never knew such things existed! Our civilization must be getting really bored. How about this one, find a job and then find money!

They are big in nature circles, and the Boy Scout have a geocaheing merit badge. I like them for getting kids out of the house and away from computer games, while still allowing them to use electronic devices. I haven't gone out looking for any in the last few years but my son's troop had a lot of fun. They usually put them in City and State Parks, campgrounds and other areas that are not restricted.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

FuziDave wrote:if you want to pm me your address i could search and see if anything shows up.
Can I do that? It may not be on my property, but a neighbors, so I might have to search several addresses.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Jusme wrote:
TreyHouston wrote:Wow, I never knew such things existed! Our civilization must be getting really bored. How about this one, find a job and then find money!

They are big in nature circles, and the Boy Scout have a geocaheing merit badge. I like them for getting kids out of the house and away from computer games, while still allowing them to use electronic devices. I haven't gone out looking for any in the last few years but my son's troop had a lot of fun. They usually put them in City and State Parks, campgrounds and other areas that are not restricted.
It sounds like a lot of fun. Because the city won't allow any of the land owners to put up any fences on the area many people think it belongs to the city and is part of a park. Our property is bisected by a creek and many folks in the area don't realize it is private property. Even the police didn't know it when we called them last month because we caught someone trying to start a campfire on our property.

The city sure knows who it belongs to because they send us letters if the area isn't maintained to their satisfaction threatening to put liens on our homes.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

C-dub wrote:
FuziDave wrote:if you want to pm me your address i could search and see if anything shows up.
Can I do that? It may not be on my property, but a neighbors, so I might have to search several addresses.

If you know your GPS coordinates, it should show all of the geocahes in the area. If they marked it properly you can walk right to it, they will also usually put some clues using landmarks, geographical features etc. They could be very small like an altoids tin, or as large as a 5 gallon bucket.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Jusme wrote:
C-dub wrote:

If you know your GPS coordinates, it should show all of the geocahes in the area. If they marked it properly you can walk right to it, they will also usually put some clues using landmarks, geographical features etc. They could be very small like an altoids tin, or as large as a 5 gallon bucket.
Can I do that from the website that FuziDave provided?

threoh8
Posts in topic: 1

Post by threoh8 »

TreyHouston wrote:Our civilization must be getting really bored. How about this one, find a job and then find money!
Some feel the same way about hunting, target shooting, and the shooting sports in general. Funny, though, those people often have hobbies, too.

Placing caches on private property without permission of the owner is not right. Done the wrong way, as this one was, any sport can cause real problems. They should not have placed it without permission.

Geocaching, done well, is a good way to learn some useful skills. There's nothing wrong with getting outside and practicing an outdoor skill while having a nice walk, bike ride, ,or drive. Map reading, navigation with a modern twist, hiking in some cases ... It's something like a less-stressful, slower form of orienteering.

Yes, I've tried geocaching and I like it. There are caches all over, both on the road and in town.

If you know the geocaching site that it's listed on, contact them. If you find the cache, consider putting a clear but not nasty warning that this is in fact private property, that the owner did not give permission for the cache, and that the reader is trespassing and should leave immediately. A suggestion to post that information wherever the site is listed might be in order. It might be a good idea to put a note to that effect in the logbook that should be in the cache.

I can understand wanting to trash the cache box, but that will not keep people from looking for it or replacing it. The one who placed it might assume it was stolen, which does happen.

By the way, a popular thing in geocaching is the "Virtual Cache", where one has to find a particular spot, where there is nothing but a view of something interesting. Still, that should not involve trespassing.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

What does this have to do with getting a job and finding money?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

C-dub wrote:
Jusme wrote:
C-dub wrote:

Can I do that from the website that FuziDave provided?

Yes you will have to open an account but it's free. then just enter the area, either by address, or city or GPS coordinates.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

mojo84 wrote:
I think he was just making a reference to finding a job instead of poking around trying to find some object on someones property.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

C-dub wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
I think he was just making a reference to finding a job instead of poking around trying to find some object on someones property.
I agree with the no trespassing sentiment. However, the implication that someone shouldn't have a hobby is ridiculous. What makes him think people that geocache are jobless?

The same could be said about spending time on this forum. Why do it when one could get a job instead? It's condescension and poor assumption that leads to much of our country's current divisiveness. Why not try being a little more civil?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Off-Topic”