Texas open carry being bashed now. Mayor wants stricter carry laws

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri
Posts in topic: 1

Texas open carry being bashed now. Mayor wants stricter carry laws

Post by FloridaViaMissouri »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas% ... spartandhp

Hopefully with the republican leadership you all have Texas right now nothing happens. This probably blew our chances at getting open carry passed here in Florida next year though. Even have to wonder if this will affect the constitutional carry veto in my home state of Missouri this sept. when they meet for the veto override session.

The Annoyed Man

Re: Texas open carry being bashed now. Mayor wants stricter carry laws

Post by The Annoyed Man »

should be some way to say I shouldn’t be bringing my shotgun to a Mavericks game or to a protest because something crazy should happen,” said Mr. Rawlings, a Democrat. “I just want to come back to common sense.”
The mayor can suck an egg. Nobody is bringing their shotgun into a Mavericks game. That's an idiotic assertion.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

psijac

Post by psijac »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
should be some way to say I shouldn’t be bringing my shotgun to a Mavericks game or to a protest because something crazy should happen,” said Mr. Rawlings, a Democrat. “I just want to come back to common sense.”
The mayor can suck an egg. Nobody is bringing their shotgun into a Mavericks game. That's an idiotic assertion.
Nobody is going to a Mavericks game period.
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

This man is an ignoramus. Some intellect... :roll:

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

psijac wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Nobody is going to a Mavericks game period.
Hey, I've been to one!!

I had free tickets and dinner and somebody else drove though :mrgreen:
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

"In Texas, it was not only legal. It was commonplace."

Interesting - it "is" legal, not "was," and whether or not it's commonplace is debatable.

"This is the first time - but a very concrete time - that I think a law can hurt citizens, police and not protect them."

But he was talking about the unimpeded Second Amendment as applied to long guns. This is something I don't know. Is there a law that grants the right in Texas to carry a rifle, or is there rather no law that says you can't? I know there's an old statute that says it's generally unlawful to carry a pistol but citizens may carry rifles in non-threatening ways. Seems like that addresses the manner of carry much more than the baseline right to carry a long gun.

Also, am I completely off-base or are there racial overtones to the call for banning rifles in public? Ronald Reagan signed the Mulford Act in California in response to a New Black Panther armed march on their state capital. The Dallas Mayor's call to restrict long guns is in specific response to a Black Lives Matter protest.

What's really interesting is the example he used, the non-existent practice of carrying a shotgun to a Mavericks game, an event where law-abiding, licensed citizens are already forbidden to bring their handguns. Which, I guess, is oddly appropriate. Shotguns at Mavericks games are not a problem, or at least weren't until he flapped his gums about them, and law-abiding, licensed citizens are already forbidden their handguns at the games - and they never have, and never would be a problem at sporting events.

I would far, far rather see society at large bearing the arms that will forever be available to criminals than to see society evolve laws to accommodate reckless behavior by declawing those who obey the law. Criminals will ignore such laws. Only law abiding citizens will lose their guns.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

Progressive democrats always think new laws are the answer for everything.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

treadlightly wrote:But he was talking about the unimpeded Second Amendment as applied to long guns. This is something I don't know. Is there a law that grants the right in Texas to carry a rifle, or is there rather no law that says you can't? I know there's an old statute that says it's generally unlawful to carry a pistol but citizens may carry rifles in non-threatening ways. Seems like that addresses the manner of carry much more than the baseline right to carry a long gun.
Texas Constitution, Article 1, Bill of Rights wrote:Sec. 23. RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... 1.htm#1.23

:tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

This is just more left wing rhetoric. I never heard any officers, or even the police chief allude to this. The incorrectly identified man with a rifle, turned his over to police was questioned and released. As TAM stated, there haven't been any known cases of someone carrying a shotgun to a basketball game. The open carry of long guns, has been legal in Texas for a very long time, and has very few restrictions. The Dallas mayor is engaging in knee jerk reactionary language that will have no effect on this, except to inflame other left wing gun grabbers who act like the legal carry of long guns, is somehow tied into the open carry of handguns.

The mayor doesn't realize it, but he has now jumped this over into a racial issue, since the 20-30 people he says were carrying rifles, were with BLM. They weren't the "redneck bubbas" the left want to try to disarm. While I abhor everything that BLM stands for, they still have the same rights as everyone else, including their 2A rights. :rules:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

parabelum wrote:This man is an ignoramus. Some intellect... :roll:
Hmmm, I have to wonder how he got to be mayor?

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

That's the first reference to 20 to 30 people carrying rifles during the protest that I've heard. All the stories up to that one only referenced the one man who immediately turned his into police when the shooting started.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Oldgringo wrote:

Because he is a Dumbocrat in a Dumbocrat city. Sad but true.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

mayor

Post by mayor »

Oldgringo wrote:
That's easy, just fill out the paper work - a no-brainer, if you can sign your name. In my town, nobody wants to do the job, so paperwork is the winner but, maybe in his case, he had the most ignoramuses voting.
RPBrown wrote:Because he is a Dumbocrat in a Dumbocrat city. Sad but true.
It's the same for either party or none.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

News reports I've seen are that the shooter had nothing to do with the protest, but took advantage of the presence of a large number of targets.

Those who carried long guns as part of the protest didn't menace anyone. Also, no telling how many LTC holders were present.

Maybe LTC holders don't go to protests. It presents a difficult scenario. You're at the protest, waving your sign, hollering, whatever, and nearby, shots ring out. Do you unholster? What if you see the shooter, and have a shot? Dare you take it? I think not, with all the police presence.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Well, people in Hades want ice water, too.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”