Something I've come to realize

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Something I've come to realize

Post by mojo84 »

Empathy is as uncommon as common sense in today's world.

Am I alone in this realization?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

AJSully421

Re: Something I've come to realize

Post by AJSully421 »

You're wrong, and I don't even care. :evil2:
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

The Wall
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Wall »

Depends on what you're talking about.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

I have no idea what you may be referring to, but your observation brings this to mind. Empathy is what I saw a lot of after the Dallas officers were killed. I still do. We went to a movie yesterday. When I saw the officer on duty there, I shook his hand and thanked him. He smiled at me and I could see he genuinely appreciated it. I noticed other people do the same. My husband and I both cried watching that all unfold that night in Dallas on our television. We don't know any of the officers, but it still seemed to us a very personal blow. Yet, we also see the protests begin again and the ugly hate of some citizens that seems unfazed. I believe Empathy is alive in many of us, but I also have to acknowledge the anarchists and the desensitized are gaining too much traction in our society. Maybe if we stopped raising kids in a liberal school system and stopped feeding them a constant diet of violent entertainment, things would improve. But that is just a theory from an older person who grew up when those things weren't the norm. I like to think it's one reason my husband and I cried for the Dallas Leos.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

TexasGal wrote:I have no idea what you may be referring to, but your observation brings this to mind. Empathy is what I saw a lot of after the Dallas officers were killed. I still do. We went to a movie yesterday. When I saw the officer on duty there, I shook his hand and thanked him. He smiled at me and I could see he genuinely appreciated it. I noticed other people do the same. My husband and I both cried watching that all unfold that night in Dallas on our television. We don't know any of the officers, but it still seemed to us a very personal blow. Yet, we also see the protests begin again and the ugly hate of some citizens that seems unfazed. I believe Empathy is alive in many of us, but I also have to acknowledge the anarchists and the desensitized are gaining too much traction in our society. Maybe if we stopped raising kids in a liberal school system and stopped feeding them a constant diet of violent entertainment, things would improve. But that is just a theory from an older person who grew up when those things weren't the norm. I like to think it's one reason my husband and I cried for the Dallas Leos.
:iagree: Very well said! :tiphat:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Just to clarify. I was talking about empathy, not sympathy. Of course some still have a high degree of empathy just as some still have a high degree of common sense. However. I was speaking in general as a society.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

I was sitting in a fast food restaurant a few days ago. There were three morbidly obese people sitting in the booth next to me. Appeared to be parents and their adult son, probably mid-20s. The TV was on to CNN and the talking heads were going on about the huge payment to Iran.

They discussed amongst themselves that our soldiers (sailors) were not worth that much, and that Hillary had better win or Trump will cut off their disability checks.

I was about done eating, so I got up and said,"y'all are disgusting." And walked out. They did not say anything, and they probably think I was only talking about their weight... But I could not let that go without a comment.

Many people out there only care about themselves and screw everyone else.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

karder

Post by karder »

I think that empathy is certainly disappearing. My theory is that younger folks spend so much time devoted to electronic entertainment that they are not making personal connections like generations past. Every twenty-something has 500 facebook friends that they have never met. I mean, my goodness, the latest craze has people running around chasing cartoons with their phones. People are living more and more in their own heads and don't feel reliant on their neighbors or community, so those neighbors and communities lose value. Empathy, sympathy, and general caring are eroding as a result.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Empathy - "the feeling that you understand and share another person's experiences and emotions..." (Webster) Unfortunately this capacity seems seriously twisted in Millennials and the Left in general.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

AJSully421 wrote:You're wrong, and I don't even care. :evil2:
Get off my lawn! :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Off-Topic”