Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 1

Recommend me a hunting rifle scope

Post by uthornsfan »

Requirements

I am looking for something bigger than a 3-9. Based on the requirements tell me what I should or shouldn't go bigger :)

Its going on a Ruger M77 stainless gun, with stainless rings in a Boyds walnut stock (I am thinking a stainless scope will look the best)

Between $300-500

Tell me Mil-dot or MOA and why

This will be primarily a Deer gun.

I currently have a Vortex 3-9 on it, that will most likely end up on my AK 308.

Thanks,

Weg

Re: Recommend me a hunting rifle scope

Post by Weg »

All I can say is don't get a target scope. I made the mistake of putting a 6 x 18 Burris fine plex target scope on my Model 70 30.06 for hunting. Scope is great, but the fine plex is extremely difficult to see at night when spotlighting ( hogs not deer). I never considered night hunting when I bought it. My friend has a basic Burris 3x9 fullfield with the regular hunting type crosshairs and it is very visible at night and in low light. Just my 2 cents, from experience.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I would ask what caliber the rifle is and at what distances you plan to shoot at. I have a 3x9 on most of my rifles. The highest power "hunting" scope I have is a 4 x 14 Leopold. However, that is not going to fit into your budget. However, a 3 x 9 has been sufficient for game out to 368 paces lately, farther when I was young.. I would forget about a Mil Dot for hunting. Practice judging distances, doping the wind and learn the ballistics of the bullet you choose to shoot. Go practice and have fun. And learn to shoot off hand. Every one is a dead eye off the bench.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I prefer a simple duplex. If you need a reticle for ranging I would recommend a BDC reticle rather than a Mil Dot unless you're making sniper range shots and the magnification would depend on what ranges you intend to be shooting. I don't make any shots farther than about 160-170 yards and switched from a 3-9x to a 4-12x only due to my eyes.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

Get Burris Vericity Scope around $690 but worth it. 3-15x50 with 30mm tube. FFP EX1 reticle

Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

WTR wrote:
I would ask what caliber the rifle is and at what distances you plan to shoot at. I have a 3x9 on most of my rifles.
+1 on that.
For deer sized game at reasonable distances, 3-9 X 40 with a duplex should do all you need.
I like Redfield - almost as good as a Leupold but not nearly as expensive.
Now if I'm spending Mrs. Chemist's money - Leupold all the way. <g>

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Beiruty wrote:Get Burris Vericity Scope around $690 but worth it. 3-15x50 with 30mm tube. FFP EX1 reticle

I have the 5-25 Veracity on my target rifle and I am disappointed with it. My Nightforce SHV, Burris MTAC and both of my Vortex scopes are much clearer and I expected more out of the Veracity.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Bushnell elite 6500 is what I have on my 30-06 hunting rifle 4.5-30x50mm 600 DOA reticle
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I second the bushnell, you might want to look at a 4-12x if you want more magnification than 3-9, but bushnell make some very nice budget scopes as long as you stay in their elite series
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Legionnaire

Post by Legionnaire »

You said this is for a deer rifle. What range and terrain do you expect to hunt? My go-to deer rifle for the past 20 years wears a 2-7X, which is perfect for hunting the woods of PA and NY, and it's quite capable out to 300 yards on deer-sized game. Even for a beanfield rifle, I'd probably opt for a 3.5-10X40. I've bought a couple of used Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10X40s in the low $300s. I'd rather an excellent used Leupold than most of the others out there. But that's just me.
Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Legionnaire wrote:You said this is for a deer rifle. What range and terrain do you expect to hunt? My go-to deer rifle for the past 20 years wears a 2-7X, which is perfect for hunting the woods of PA and NY, and it's quite capable out to 300 yards on deer-sized game. Even for a beanfield rifle, I'd probably opt for a 3.5-10X40. I've bought a couple of used Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10X40s in the low $300s. I'd rather an excellent used Leupold than most of the others out there. But that's just me.
And sometimes overlooked are quality rings and quality mounting. If you want consistent, repeatable accuracy, cheap rings can ruin otherwise good glass. Likewise poor mounting. Don't scrimp on either.

If you don't have all the proper tools, I'd recommend finding a gunsmith to properly mount the scope. At a minimum, I consider those tools to be:
  • A proper gun vise; you gotta be able to secure the rifle in an absolutely still and secure position, or most of the rest of the operation will fail.
  • Ring alignment and lapping rods; and do always lap any set of rings once aligned...never mount a scope without doing so: makes sure the ring surfaces themselves are in correct positioning after your alignment; evens out the surface for better, more consistent (and thus more stable) contact; prevents scaring/scratching of your scope; and, if you aren't using top-of-the-line rings with ultra-precise machining specifications, shaves a tiny bit of material away to ensure a completely round ring and (presumably) enough gap to grip as it should when you torque it down.
  • A crosshair alignment tool like Wheeler's "professional" kit; "eyeballing" crosshair vertical alignment will inevitably result in imprecise elevation and windage adjustments and estimations. Not good. The reticle needs to be perfectly aligned with the gun itself, not your eye.
  • A good torque driver; I prefer Felo (http://www.german-hand-tools.com/Felo-torque.html). Wheeler makes a decent torque wrench, but it doesn't provide the number of incremental tension steps that Felo does. Granted, most scope manufacturers are going to tell you something around 20 inch-pounds, but it's worth a bit more to be able to take the pressure to a finer final setting. If you're shooting a .338 Lapua Magnum, you may want to risk a couple of extra inch-pounds.
  • A laser boresighter; you don't want to go to the range for the first time with the new setup and sling lead three feet over the target at 25 yards. Even if you do nothing but some preliminary adjustments in your house at 15 yards--in the aforementioned gun vise--that should at least get your first live round on paper.
Even with a decent budget scope, better than bottom-shelf rings and attention to detail in the mounting can make a world of difference.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Skiprr wrote:
Legionnaire wrote:You said this is for a deer rifle. What range and terrain do you expect to hunt? My go-to deer rifle for the past 20 years wears a 2-7X, which is perfect for hunting the woods of PA and NY, and it's quite capable out to 300 yards on deer-sized game. Even for a beanfield rifle, I'd probably opt for a 3.5-10X40. I've bought a couple of used Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10X40s in the low $300s. I'd rather an excellent used Leupold than most of the others out there. But that's just me.
And sometimes overlooked are quality rings and quality mounting. If you want consistent, repeatable accuracy, cheap rings can ruin otherwise good glass. Likewise poor mounting. Don't scrimp on either.

If you don't have all the proper tools, I'd recommend finding a gunsmith to properly mount the scope. At a minimum, I consider those tools to be:
  • A proper gun vise; you gotta be able to secure the rifle in an absolutely still and secure position, or most of the rest of the operation will fail.
  • Ring alignment and lapping rods; and do always lap any set of rings once aligned...never mount a scope without doing so: makes sure the ring surfaces themselves are in correct positioning after your alignment; evens out the surface for better, more consistent (and thus more stable) contact; prevents scaring/scratching of your scope; and, if you aren't using top-of-the-line rings with ultra-precise machining specifications, shaves a tiny bit of material away to ensure a completely round ring and (presumably) enough gap to grip as it should when you torque it down.
  • A crosshair alignment tool like Wheeler's "professional" kit; "eyeballing" crosshair vertical alignment will inevitably result in imprecise elevation and windage adjustments and estimations. Not good. The reticle needs to be perfectly aligned with the gun itself, not your eye.
  • A good torque driver; I prefer Felo (http://www.german-hand-tools.com/Felo-torque.html). Wheeler makes a decent torque wrench, but it doesn't provide the number of incremental tension steps that Felo does. Granted, most scope manufacturers are going to tell you something around 20 inch-pounds, but it's worth a bit more to be able to take the pressure to a finer final setting. If you're shooting a .338 Lapua Magnum, you may want to risk a couple of extra foot-pounds.
  • A laser boresighter; you don't want to go to the range for the first time with the new setup and sling lead three feet over the target at 25 yards. Even if you do nothing but some preliminary adjustments in your house at 15 yards--in the aforementioned gun vise--that should at least get your first live round on paper.
Even with a decent budget scope, better than bottom-shelf rings and attention to detail in the mounting can make a world of difference.
:iagree: with everything Skiprr posted, if you include my little edit. :tiphat:

(And I didn't even need a babel fish! ;-) )
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Pawpaw wrote: :iagree: with everything Skiprr posted, if you include my little edit. :tiphat:

(And I didn't even need a babel fish! ;-) )
Oops. How'd I make that mistake (now corrected)? As penance, I promise not to use any obscure or archaic words for at least 48 hours...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Legionnaire

Post by Legionnaire »

I agree completely with Skiprr on good rings and mounts. I'll confess I'm not as fastidious, though. I've never lapped rings, for instance. I did procure a foot-long piece of 1-inch diameter stainless steel, though, and I go through the steps of getting my rings aligned using that instead of the scope. Scope doesn't go into the rings until alignment is as perfect as I can get it (sans lapping). And a reticle alignment tool is definitely a must.
Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”