Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
EdnaBambrick
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Close call almost had to draw

Post by EdnaBambrick »

My wife and I are at a lake in Wyoming.

We're parked on the boat ramp near the lake to take some early morning photos. The ramp is easily 40 yards wide and we're the only ones there for a good 15 minutes. A guy in a truck backs his boat into the lake some 20yrds over and as he goes to park in upper lot, he comes and tells us that we're in the wrong spot and then points out a sign "For boat loading and unloading only". We are embarrased, apologize and immediately get in our car and move it up the road about 75 yards to where it's out of the boat loading zone.

As we're getting out of the car to go back and take a few more photos, the guy in the truck drives up, sees our plate and says "you Texans think you can do whatever you want, wherever you want, whenever you want".

I look him straight in the eye and tell him he can [Abbreviated profanity deleted. Don't do it again.] He pauses a few seconds considering his options and as he starts to lean to grab something from under the seat, I say "You won't get the chance to sit up straight" He stops cold, changes his position and drives off.

I always saw this as he pursued us and I would have been in the right upon seeing the weapon to have fired in self-defense. But my wife thought somehow that I was in the wrong and was provoking him.

Forget about the Texas pride and brotherhood but if you ask me the guy would have had it coming to him had he pulled.

What do the rest of you cowboys think?

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Close call almost had to draw

Post by treadlightly »

Hopefully I won't sound like a Momday morning quarterback.

I hope to never threaten with a gun. If I ever think I need to draw I hope I have the presence of mind to already be in a dead run for the nearest defilade.

But I acknowledge my tendencies to mental lockup.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

You escalated it. Didn't need to speak back at him. When we are carrying we have a responsibility to use de-escalation skills.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

parabelum
Posts in topic: 5

Post by parabelum »

I'd start by not escalating the situation by cursing at him first and foremost and then go from there. If I perceived that threat to me was imminent regardless, I would act accordingly to protect myself and stop the threat.

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

Liberty wrote:You escalated it. Didn't need to speak back at him. When we are carrying we have a responsibility to use de-escalation skills.
:iagree:

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

EdnaBambrick wrote:My wife and I are at a lake in Wyoming.

We're parked on the boat ramp near the lake to take some early morning photos. The ramp is easily 40 yards wide and we're the only ones there for a good 15 minutes. A guy in a truck backs his boat into the lake some 20yrds over and as he goes to park in upper lot, he comes and tells us that we're in the wrong spot and then points out a sign "For boat loading and unloading only". We are embarrased, apologize and immediately get in our car and move it up the road about 75 yards to where it's out of the boat loading zone.

As we're getting out of the car to go back and take a few more photos, the guy in the truck drives up, sees our plate and says "you Texans think you can do whatever you want, wherever you want, whenever you want".

I look him straight in the eye .............. He pauses a few seconds considering his options and as he starts to lean to grab something from under the seat, I say "You won't get the chance to sit up straight" He stops cold, changes his position and drives off.

I always saw this as he pursued us and I would have been in the right upon seeing the weapon to have fired in self-defense. But my wife thought somehow that I was in the wrong and was provoking him.

Forget about the Texas pride and brotherhood but if you ask me the guy would have had it coming to him had he pulled.

What do the rest of you cowboys think?
The guy sounds like a self righteous fool. He will get his sooner or later. Hopefully he was so torqued up that he forgot his bilge plug "rlol"
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

cirus

Post by cirus »

The law would probably say you escalated it and maybe you did but I would have done the same thing. People need to learn to shut their pie hole. You apologized and moved and he should have left it at that.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

You need to read the forum rules, you violated rule 1 in your post.

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

I'd say the guy pursued you but I sure as heck wouldn't want to try to prove it in any way. I likely would have told him, "You obviously don't know many Texans because we are generally kind and thoughtful just like we were when we reparked our truck."
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

cirus

Post by cirus »

mrvmax wrote:You need to read the forum rules, you violated rule 1 in your post.
When did pie hole become profanity? It's just another word for " mouth "

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

cirus wrote:
mrvmax wrote:You need to read the forum rules, you violated rule 1 in your post.
When did pie hole become profanity? It's just another word for " mouth "
It was abbreviated profanity which was deleted.

cirus

Post by cirus »

Are you referring to me or the op? :headscratch You didn't delete anything from my post

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

I'm not sure the OP really escalated the situation. Telling someone to (paraphrasing here) 'mind their own business' when they pop off at you is more dismissing them and the situation than escalating it in my opinion. Could the OP have been more polite? Sure, but last I checked a course with Miss Manners was not a requirement of obtaining your LTC.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I would have done the same thing. I would say he pursued you from the beginning (even starting something that didn't need to be started if y'all were truly the only ones there) and then made the first smart remark. Others will disagree obviously. I refuse to let people talk to me like that personally. Take a deep breath, and say thanks to the man upstairs for watching out for you.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

cirus wrote:Are you referring to me or the op? :headscratch You didn't delete anything from my post
If he was referring to your post, he probably would have quoted you or used your nickname. Notice the original post had a word deleted and a warning to the original topic starter from a moderator.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Never Again!!”