Wal-Mart employee refused LTC as ID?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Wal-Mart employee refused LTC as ID?

Post by bblhd672 »

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... BC.506.htm
BUSINESS AND COMMERCE CODE
TITLE 11. PERSONAL IDENTITY INFORMATION
SUBTITLE A. IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
Chapter 506, consisting of Secs. 506.001, was added by Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 794 (H.B. 2739), Sec. 1.
For another Chapter 506, consisting of Secs. 506.001 to 506.006, added by Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 953 (S.B. 1213), Sec. 1, see Sec. 506.001 et seq., post.

CHAPTER 506. CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSES AS VALID FORMS OF PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION
Sec. 506.001. CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE AS VALID PROOF OF IDENTIFICATION. (a) A person may not deny the holder of a concealed handgun license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, access to goods, services, or facilities, except as provided by Section 521.460, Transportation Code, or in regard to the operation of a motor vehicle, because the holder has or presents a concealed handgun license rather than a driver's license or other acceptable form of personal identification.
(b) This section does not affect:
(1) the requirement under Section 411.205, Government Code, that a person subject to that section present a driver's license or identification certificate in addition to a concealed handgun license; or
(2) the types of identification required under federal law to access airport premises or pass through airport security.
Added by Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 794 (H.B. 2739), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2015.

I haven't been able to find anything about penalties to business for refusing LTC as acceptable ID.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LucasMcCain »

I can't find anything about fines either. I don't really want to have fines levied for this sort of thing, but it would be a good motivating factor when speaking to management. It lets you come off as just looking out for their best interest. "I just wanted to let you know about it, because the store could be subject to fines for this, and I would hate to see that happen to y'all." That sort of thing.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

gljjt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gljjt »

It is state law, but I wouldn't take it out on the cashier (not saying the OP did). The store is responsible for training them. It's a management issue not an employee issue. I wouldn't expect an hourly clerk to know every law related to ID. Even if storr policy is wrong, I would anticipate the employee following the policy. They don't know if the customer is right or the store is right. If the store has a policy that says no to a LTC as an ID anything more than politely informing the cashier as an FYI is unfair to the employee. Take it offline with the manager. Just my opinion.

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LucasMcCain »

gljjt wrote:It is state law, but I wouldn't take it out on the cashier (not saying the OP did). The store is responsible for training them. It's a management issue not an employee issue. I wouldn't expect an hourly clerk to know every law related to ID. Even if storr policy is wrong, I would anticipate the employee following the policy. They don't know if the customer is right or the store is right. If the store has a policy that says no to a LTC as an ID anything more than politely informing the cashier as an FYI is unfair to the employee. Take it offline with the manager. Just my opinion.
Absolutely. I got next to no training when working as a cashier. It's definitely a management issue. Most of the time, if you bring something like this up politely and in the right context, management will thank you, check it out after you leave, and then train their people.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

WinoVeritas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WinoVeritas »

Incorrect comment on DL/LTC/CHL age being shown.
Last edited by WinoVeritas on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

gljjt wrote:It is state law, but I wouldn't take it out on the cashier (not saying the OP did). The store is responsible for training them. It's a management issue not an employee issue. I wouldn't expect an hourly clerk to know every law related to ID. Even if store policy is wrong, I would anticipate the employee following the policy. They don't know if the customer is right or the store is right. If the store has a policy that says no to a LTC as an ID anything more than politely informing the cashier as an FYI is unfair to the employee. Take it offline with the manager. Just my opinion.
You're right. Taking it up with the manager can also reveal whether it is a real policy that needs to be addressed, or just one instituted by an anti-gun cashier with an agenda.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

WinoVeritas wrote:No brainer from my POV - DL has birth date in bold - CHL/LTC does not show birth date. While both acceptable ID, both are not when age is in question.
My LTC has date of birth printed on it. No idea if the old CHL has DOB printed on it.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

bblhd672 wrote:
WinoVeritas wrote:No brainer from my POV - DL has birth date in bold - CHL/LTC does not show birth date. While both acceptable ID, both are not when age is in question.
My LTC has date of birth printed on it. No idea if the old CHL has DOB printed on it.
My bad - you are correct. Guess my new eye isn't fit yet! LOL

Still believe it's not worth the battle or time. I don't want to be in line behind anyone that anal. :lol:

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

CHL does also.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

If this is the biggest problem of the day, I would consider myself fortunate and move on.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

bblhd672 wrote:
It does. I don't renew until next year to get my LTC, so I still have my CHL.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 3

Post by imkopaka »

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I think I will talk to the manager at some point, but I will leave names out of it. No reason to put her on the spot. I do not believe it was something she made up, though. She mentioned in passing that she also has a CHL, so I doubt it was an anti-gun thing. It was either a misunderstanding on her part, a bad policy on the manager's part, or no one updated the store's training when this law came into effect. Not worth getting this employee in trouble for any of those reasons.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

rotor

Post by rotor »

imkopaka wrote:Thanks for the responses, everyone. I think I will talk to the manager at some point, but I will leave names out of it. No reason to put her on the spot. I do not believe it was something she made up, though. She mentioned in passing that she also has a CHL, so I doubt it was an anti-gun thing. It was either a misunderstanding on her part, a bad policy on the manager's part, or no one updated the store's training when this law came into effect. Not worth getting this employee in trouble for any of those reasons.
This is a good response. I personally don't like people to know I have a LTC. Right now that is the only thing I have that says veteran but I am going to add it to my DL. Obviously I rarely OC.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”