AR pistol build help

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 5

AR pistol build help

Post by cmgee67 »

Howdy guys I just bought a PSA stripped glock 9mm lower and would like to make it into an AR pistol. They have the 16" uppers where it would be a rifle but if I just bought their 10.5" upper and don't put a stock on it would it be considered a pistol and not an SBR? I'm not after an SBR I want to make it a pistol. It's my new project and I want to be 100% legal and ok.

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR pistol build help

Post by bigtek »

I think the safest way is using a bare pistol buffer tube for the build. It's not readily converible to SBR because it won't accept a stock. A bare tube also doesn't look like SBR at a distance unlike a SIG brace or Shockwave Blade.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Run a pistol buffer tube off the back and you have a pistol.

Not in stock right now but this would finish out your lower. You can piece a kit together without too much trouble.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-moe- ... black.html

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

:iagree: with the pistol buffer tube.

Check out Sig Brace or KAK Shockwave as well.

Generally, I think it is better to start out as a pistol build, since the rule is once a rifle (when you put a regular stock), always a rifle... :roll:

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Ok guys thank you so much for the help!

tyree

Post by tyree »

cmgee67 wrote:I'm not after an SBR I want to make it a pistol. It's my new project and I want to be 100% legal and ok.
If I remember correctly, unless the manufacturer (PSA) sold it to you as a pistol lower, the ATF will consider it a rifle unless you do some extra ATF paperwork. Just placing a short barrel on the lower as is may get you some unwanted attention.

I.e. If PSA advertised it as a pistol lower, you should be good to go. If they advertised ot as a rifle lower, you'll need to do some paperwork before you can place a short barrel on it. If PSA didn't say anything one way or another, I suggest you get some clarification first.

The aforementioned paperwork is probably going to be the sbr route. Although i seem to remember it being possible to change the legal status rifles to pistols, i seem to remember that being an issue for some.

I hope you enjoy the build. Sounds fun. But, you may want to look into the legal ramifications of build direction choices a little more first.

apostate

Post by apostate »

tyree wrote: If I remember correctly, unless the manufacturer (PSA) sold it to you as a pistol lower, the ATF will consider it a rifle unless you do some extra ATF paperwork.
You may want to read the instructions for question 18 on form 4473.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Skiprr »

tyree wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:I'm not after an SBR I want to make it a pistol. It's my new project and I want to be 100% legal and ok.
If I remember correctly, unless the manufacturer (PSA) sold it to you as a pistol lower, the ATF will consider it a rifle unless you do some extra ATF paperwork. Just placing a short barrel on the lower as is may get you some unwanted attention.
I don't believe that is correct. Here are a couple of BATFE references:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/rulin ... s/download; BATFE Ruling 2011-4

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-i-l ... ng-firearm; short response to the question, "Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?"

From the former, I think the pertinent info is under the heading "Assembly of Weapons from Parts Kits":
BATFE Ruling 2011-4 wrote:Therefore, so long as a parts kit or collection of parts is not used to make a firearm regulated under the NFA (e.g., a short-barreled rifle or “any other weapon” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(e)), no NFA firearm is made when the same parts are assembled or reassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length). Merely assembling and disassembling such a rifle does not result in the making of a new weapon; rather, it is the same rifle in a knockdown condition (i.e., complete as to all component parts). Likewise, because it is the same weapon when reconfigured as a pistol, no “weapon made from a rifle” subject to the NFA has been made.

Nonetheless, if a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length is assembled or otherwise produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle, such a weapon is a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4). Such a weapon would not be a “pistol” because the weapon was not originally designed, made, and intended to fire a
projectile by one hand.
To my knowledge, there has never been a law or BATFE ruling stating that an AR lower receiver intended for use as a pistol must be stamped, marked, or sold with a designation that it is for use as a pistol only.

IANALANISILA: I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is legal advice.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Here's what I bought

http://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psa ... ector.html

Doesn't say it's for rifle. All it is is a receiver.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

According to the NRA a factory fresh receiver like the one I bought that has never been a part of a firearm can be made into a rifle pistol or SBR. And I am going to use an ar pistol lower parts kits from psa it's all
Pistol length buffer tube spring and everything. So I'm pretty sure I'm ok. When I pick up the receiver at the ffl I'm having it shipped to it will be registered as a pistol

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... s-at-home/

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

cmgee67 wrote:When I pick up the receiver at the ffl I'm having it shipped to it will be registered as a pistol.
Actually, no; it probably won't be recorded (not registered...whole nuther can o' worms there) as a pistol. And it doesn't need to be.

As mentioned uptopic, question #18 on Form 4473 is filled in by the FFL, not the buyer. IMHO, If you're buying a receiver only, that will be checked as "Other Firearm," not as "Handgun" or "Long Gun."
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Your correct. I just read about that. It will have never had a stock attached so it wouldn't be considered a rifle anyway. And if it's an Other on the paper work it wouldn't matter what you turned it into. So I know I'll be good to go and I'll be able to make an awesome pistol :)

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

cmgee67 wrote:It will have never had a stock attached so it wouldn't be considered a rifle anyway. And if it's an Other on the paper work it wouldn't matter what you turned it into. So I know I'll be good to go and I'll be able to make an awesome pistol :)
:thumbs2:

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

As far as the buffer tube, I prefer a regular carbine buffer tube with a CAA or MFT (personally prefer the former) saddle on it. Much more comfortable to shoot; it feels like the top half of a SOPMOD stock.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”