New shoulder holster

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

New shoulder holster

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I took delivery on a new Gould & Goodrich shoulder holster today from amazon.com today. The reason I bought it was because of a change of policy at Galco I recently learned of. It used to be that Galco sold both right and left handed accessory holster bodies if you acquired another gun and wanted to carry it in your shoulder rig. I've owned a Galco Miami Classic II system for 7 or 8 years now, and I have holster bodies for a 1911 and a HK USP Compact .40. I also have a double magazine carrier for 1911s and one for the HK USP-sized .40 cal magazines. My back has been bothering me a LOT lately and I'm having trouble wearing belt holsters again, so I wanted to buy a holster body for my Galco to fit my Glock 19 and 17, and a new mag holder for the Glock 9mm mags.

The problem arose when I saw that the Galco website only shows right-handed spare holster bodies available. When I called Galco to see if I could order one over the phone, It was told that they no longer sold left-handed holster bodies by themselves. I could only get one by buying a whole new shoulder holster system. Well, the spare holster body alone (if I wanted a right handed one) costs $89.95. The entire new holster system costs $214.95. So Galco screws lefty shooters to the tune of $125 if they want a new left-handed holster body for their Miami Classic II. I'm not having any of that!

So a quick search for left handed shoulder holster for Glock 17/19 turned up this Gould & Goodrich #804. Their retail price is $186.13, but I thought I'd check Amazon (linked above), and they had it for only $129.66 with free shipping. No brainer. I'll take $129.66 over Galco's $214.95.

Anyway, it came in today. Quality seems easily on a par with the Galco product, and it fits. The one thing it doesn't have is a screw to adjust retention, but it doesn't really need it. Fit is perfect.

The dude on the camel in the photograph is my dad.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New shoulder holster

Post by Lynyrd »

Never wore a shoulder rig, but that looks really, really nice.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The dude on the camel in the photograph is my dad.
Wow. Really?

I was about to ask, "Who is that Bedouin on the camel," because I thought it was a younger TAM. Style of glasses should have given it away...but still.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Skiprr wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:The dude on the camel in the photograph is my dad.
Wow. Really?

I was about to ask, "Who is that Bedouin on the camel," because I thought it was a younger TAM. Style of glasses should have given it away...but still.
He was a professor at Caltech, and that picture was taken at some kind of Caltech gala event. The costume was his. He often wore loose white cotton pants, sort of like scrub pants or pajama pants, to lounge around in. And the Djellaba robe was his. He owned several, most of which he bought either in France, or in Morocco where I was born. My maternal grandfather, who counted several Tuareg chieftains includingaa a sultan among his friends, also owned and wore djallabas occasionally.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

That is a nice looking holster and I am glad you posted this. I was looking through amazon to see what else Gould & Goodrich was selling and they have left handed pancake holster for a Springfield XD priced at ~16 bucks. I have been wanting to try a holster of that style and while it is black instead of a brown, at 16 bucks it is worth a try. All the other colors and styles are marked at 50ish.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

A couple of questions: Is the carry horizontal or vertical?

Does it come in sizes, that is, if one is a big guy versus a smaller?

Given it's a shoulder rig, I'm guessing it comes with a retention holster in case you have to bend over...?

Also, some years back I bought a G&G gun belt and thought it was made of leather. As time progressed and I took off and snugged the belt repeatedly it finally cracked (after a couple of years or so...) upon which I found it was made of some sort of plastic that felt, looked and acted like leather until...

Thanks!

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Abraham wrote:TAM,

A couple of questions: Is the carry horizontal or vertical?

Does it come in sizes, that is, if one is a big guy versus a smaller?

Given it's a shoulder rig, I'm guessing it comes with a retention holster in case you have to bend over...?

Also, some years back I bought a G&G gun belt and thought it was made of leather. As time progressed and I took off and snugged the belt repeatedly it finally cracked (after a couple of years or so...) upon which I found it was made of some sort of plastic that felt, looked and acted like leather until...

Thanks!
Based on the picture it appears to have a thumb break for retention, to be horizontal or angled and has holes so it can be adjusted for size.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

Thanks for posting TAM.

While shoulder holsters may be easy to conceal this time of year when the weather is cool, may I ask if you ever wear one when it's hot and if so, how do you conceal?

Thanks and take care.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

RJGold wrote:Thanks for posting TAM.

While shoulder holsters may be easy to conceal this time of year when the weather is cool, may I ask if you ever wear one when it's hot and if so, how do you conceal?

Thanks and take care.
I am also curious as to how this would conceal. I have thought about getting one for work, I dress in business attire typically everyday.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Abraham wrote:TAM,

A couple of questions: Is the carry horizontal or vertical? Horizontal carry.

Does it come in sizes, that is, if one is a big guy versus a smaller? The straps are adjustable. I have a "large frame" (that's my story and I'm sticking to it :mrgreen: ), and I have it adjusted to its maximum size - which fits me perfectly.

Given it's a shoulder rig, I'm guessing it comes with a retention holster in case you have to bend over...? It has a thumb snap retention strap.

Also, some years back I bought a G&G gun belt and thought it was made of leather. As time progressed and I took off and snugged the belt repeatedly it finally cracked (after a couple of years or so...) upon which I found it was made of some sort of plastic that felt, looked and acted like leather until... This for sure leather. It is less highly polished than its Galco counterpart, but it is still nicely finished, well stitched, with rough side in. Their website says:
Horizontal style. Fully adjustable for comfort, with a back swivel to help straps lay flat for good concealment. Double ammunition carrier. Black non-glare hardware. Gold Line...The finest genuine leather holsters in the world.
Thanks! Youre welcome!

#TINVOWOOT

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

I have found that a shoulder holster is very comfortable if you are traveling in the car for several hours. It is my preferred choice for travel.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”