Hmmm. Google and "Smartgunlaws.org"

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Hmmm. Google and "Smartgunlaws.org"

Post by ELB »

Recently I've been googling guns and gun laws a lot, mostly checking things related to questions I think up about the upcoming legislative session, licensed carry laws, etc. Most recently (about 10 minutes ago) I was looking up stats related to NICS checks.

I haven't kept a log, but I have started noticing that "smartgunlaws.org" keeps popping up as the first hit on google searches. Not as one of the sponsored web sites that appear at the top, the ones where people pay to be first, but first of the "regular" search hits.

This seems very peculiar to me.

I have not researched the lineage of "smartgunlaws.org" and the organization that owns the website, the "Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence", but they claim to have been in business for 20 years. They have a map that shows gun law ratings for the US in which most states get an "F", and a very few -- you can guess which ones -- get higher ratings.

I have not seen them at the top of searches in the past, but have started seeing it recently. As I said, I find it peculiar, and frankly wonder if Google is pushing them.

I know there are some others on here that research gun law stuff on the innertoobs, I am wondering if anyone else sees this?
USAF 1982-2005

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Hmmm. Google and "Smartgunlaws.org"

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

When I search "gun laws" in google, I get the NRA ILA along with the result you mention. I believe that Google as a company does lean on the left side of the gun debate, but I also think I'm able to find pro-gun sites and articles using them as a search engine.

As far as them manipulating the order in which results are returned, I think that would constitute "fake search results!"
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I can't speak to why Google might suddenly be ranking the "Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence" more frequently and/or higher, but if you want a little background on this group, here's a useful article posted at Ammoland: Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence--Twenty Years of Putting Nonsense First, by C.D. Michel, adjunct professor at Chapman University School of Law, and NRA West Coast legal counsel.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

priusron

Post by priusron »

You can pay to have your web site be one at the top of the list.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Google manipulates their search returns to try to shape public opinion and have been for a long time. Many others do it too. Posted articles one might think, or assume are mainstream, leading one to believe his own views are not mainstream are completely destroyed in the comments section. The answer to this problem is no comments section available to read or when you click on the comments they don't load.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-google- ... 1426793553
http://www.sitepronews.com/2015/04/06/h ... onal-gain/
http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/09/video ... o-hillary/

Wearing my tinfoil Stetson...
III

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Google sells SEO (search engine optimization) that brings your website to the top of the list based upon the search criteria and location- among other things. That smartgunlaws is appearing high on your searches most likely means they are paying to be in the top spots.
Use the same search words in a different search engine and I bet you won't see them. Try the DuckDuckGo web site to see how the search results are different.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

When I put in hearing protection act into Google the other day, the first result was a la times oped saying all criminals would be running around with suppressors. It also implied that if we are going to deregulate them might as well do hand grenades and land mines too as they were all regulated together initially. If they were regulated together they must be equally bad right?
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

bblhd672 wrote:Google sells SEO (search engine optimization) that brings your website to the top of the list based upon the search criteria and location- among other things. That smartgunlaws is appearing high on your searches most likely means they are paying to be in the top spots.
Use the same search words in a different search engine and I bet you won't see them. Try the DuckDuckGo web site to see how the search results are different.
I use DuckDuckGo on my iPad and desktop PC when searching for subjects or items of interest to me.
If my search is more mundane, like searching for pizza, then I switch to Google.
Also use Firefox and not IE.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

flowrie wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:Google sells SEO (search engine optimization) that brings your website to the top of the list based upon the search criteria and location- among other things. That smartgunlaws is appearing high on your searches most likely means they are paying to be in the top spots.
I use DuckDuckGo on my iPad and desktop PC when searching for subjects or items of interest to me.
If my search is more mundane, like searching for pizza, then I switch to Google.
Also use Firefox and not IE.
IE and Edge should die in a fire.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Try clearing History,Cookies, and Cache.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”