A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

CHL-8 Question

Post by RossA »

I had a class recently where all of the students took the written test and passed, but due to another commitment one student had to leave and has to take the range qualification at a later date. I want to send in the CHL-8 for the students who passed, but I'm not sure what to do about the one who is left hanging.
I don't want to leave his proficiency pass/fail blank, and I can't honestly check either pass or fail.
I also don't want to wait until he takes the test (not sure when that will be) because I want to get my form in on time.
Not sure how to handle this.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Mike S
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CHL-8 Question

Post by Mike S »

You can also just leave it blank under the proficiency column.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Superchief, in the proficiency column I only see two places to check for pass or fail. I don't see a place to write in "not taken."

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Mike S, if I simply leave the proficiency part blank, but then a few weeks later administer the proficiency test and he passes, will the state see some discrepancy between a CHL 100 where I have signed that he passed but a CHL8 with no indication of a proficiency test?

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cbunt1 »

RossA wrote:Mike S, if I simply leave the proficiency part blank, but then a few weeks later administer the proficiency test and he passes, will the state see some discrepancy between a CHL 100 where I have signed that he passed but a CHL8 with no indication of a proficiency test?
Not Mike S, But, there's no reason they would see that as a discrepancy. Although it's not COMMON, especially since the 4-hour classes began, but it's certainly not unheard of for an instructor to provide classroom-only or range-only qualifications.

In fact, one scenario that was described when I took my instructor's class a few years ago was exactly that: one instructor doing classroom for the students, and one instructor doing the range qualifications. I've done a few range-only qualifications for students and submitted CHL-8 for range-only work, but it's been a few years.

I don't see it as an issue at all.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Mike S
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mike S »

cbunt1 wrote:
RossA wrote:Mike S, if I simply leave the proficiency part blank, but then a few weeks later administer the proficiency test and he passes, will the state see some discrepancy between a CHL 100 where I have signed that he passed but a CHL8 with no indication of a proficiency test?
Not Mike S, But, there's no reason they would see that as a discrepancy. Although it's not COMMON, especially since the 4-hour classes began, but it's certainly not unheard of for an instructor to provide classroom-only or range-only qualifications.

In fact, one scenario that was described when I took my instructor's class a few years ago was exactly that: one instructor doing classroom for the students, and one instructor doing the range qualifications. I've done a few range-only qualifications for students and submitted CHL-8 for range-only work, but it's been a few years.

I don't see it as an issue at all.
:iagree:
Yep, what he said.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Gotta see if I can change that to a Word version with my extremely limited computer skills. Now if I can just find a 10 year old computer whiz... :banghead:

Return to “Instructors' Corner”